Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: Joeythelips on September 06, 2019, 11:02:47 AM
Quote from: DrumraghAbu on September 06, 2019, 09:30:26 AM
Quote from: Keyser soze on September 05, 2019, 02:56:38 PM
Looking forward to seeing Ole getting some success.... not least so that Seanie's tiresome Mourinho obsession can perhaps be laid to rest.  ;D

Really hoping the same, however I believe he has been thrown in the deep end. I seen Gary Neville in an interview say the other day that he should be given time like Klopp. This statement is complete bulls***, Klopp was very successful at Dortmund and was one of the most sought after manager, Ole has came from a farmers league.

With James, Rashy, Martial, Pogba all playing well I think we will get back to the glory days sooner rather than later.

Exactly, Ole needs time just like Klopp, but Klopp had a proven record at Dortmund. When Fergueson came to united he had to do a major rebuilding job, what kept him in the job was the fact of what he had done in Scotland. Ole has none of that so when things are not going well (which is inevitable when rebuilding a team) he has not got the CV to back up what he is doing.

Also as much as I am not a fan of Jose, he did want to sign McGuire last season (for half the price) so he knew what was needed and united could not deliver it.

Mourinho wanted Maguire but the fact was he had already splashed out heavily on a few centre backs already.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

trailer

I'm happy to give Ole the time. He's making an omelette but the eggs are inferior to rival eggs in other omelettes. Let's see if he can get the hens to lay better eggs so he can make a better omelette. Let's remember also, that to make an omelette he will have to break some eggs as well.

Lets just hope we all don't end up with egg on our face.

DrumraghAbu

Quote from: trailer on September 06, 2019, 11:47:35 AM
I'm happy to give Ole the time. He's making an omelette but the eggs are inferior to rival eggs in other omelettes. Let's see if he can get the hens to lay better eggs so he can make a better omelette. Let's remember also, that to make an omelette he will have to break some eggs as well.

Lets just hope we all don't end up with egg on our face.

Give me some of whatever you are smoking buddy.

Look-Up!

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 05, 2019, 11:14:22 PM
QuoteJose Mourinho commented: "Alexis is one of the best attacking players in the world and he will complete our very young and talented group of attacking players. He will bring his ambition, drive and personality, qualities that make a Manchester United player and a player that makes the team stronger and the supporters proud of their club dimension and prestige.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/manchester-united-complete-the-transfer-of-alexis-sanchez-from-arsenal

Seemed happy enough with it at the time. Interesting he mentioned prestige.

Once the deed is done manager has to get on with it, work with the new player and put a positive spin on it. He's hardy going to come out and say "what a load of b0ll0x".

Mourinho on Shevchenko signing "Today is a day when the dream became reality. Andrei has always been my first choice for Chelsea since I arrived. Before it was not possible, now it is for real. He has great qualities, ambition, discipline, tactical awareness and of course he is a great goalscorer.
I did not need to meet with him to convince him about Chelsea, in the same way we did not need to talk a lot about why I wanted him. Everybody knows him as a player, tactically he can play in the Chelsea system no doubt.
Milan is a big club, a great club, but for him to leave Milan for Chelsea is a big statement about where Chelsea is."

That flies in the face of a lot of what is widely accepted what really happened.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: laoislad on September 06, 2019, 10:13:10 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 06, 2019, 10:02:49 AM
Looking forward to seeing Ole getting some success.... not least so that Seanie's tiresome Mourinho obsession can perhaps be laid to rest.  ;D

Really hoping the same, however I believe he has been thrown in the deep end. I seen Gary Neville in an interview say the other day that he should be given time like Klopp. This statement is complete bulls***, Klopp was very successful at Dortmund and was one of the most sought after manager, Ole has came from a farmers league.

With James, Rashy, Martial, Pogba all playing well I think we will get back to the glory days sooner rather than later.

At a time, when he left Dortmund they were a shambles and he'd ran them into the ground and in the relegation zone if I recall. Liverpool should be wary history doesn't repeat.
Shambles?
Finished 7th in league,Won the German Super Cup, Runners up in the German Cup and last 16 of the Champions League..
His time was up with them no doubt and compared to previous seasons it wouldn't have been as good,but he hardly left them in a shambles.

Apologies, in the relegation zone most of first half of season. Got act together during last half of season but 7th in Germany is a disaster compared to 7th in England, say. Certainly wasn't an in demand manager. In fact it was only after he announced he was leaving Dortmund started to get the act together.

Liverpool took a gamble on him after giving Rodgers the road. Klopp was unemployed. I don't recall the doors being busted down at too many clubs to take him before Liverpool got in there.

laoislad

Really, Klopp wasn't in demand and Liverpool took a gamble?  ::)
Well I suppose you are right in some regards as hiring any manager is a gamble the same as when you sign a player.
United fans should know all about that the past few seasons with big money spent on previously successful managers and players and they turning out to be not so good, but hiring Klopp wasn't the massive gamble you seem to be making out, he had a pretty decent track record and would have been in high demand.
Klopp himself said he turned down several offers but said he couldn't resist Liverpool when they came calling.
Sure he had even turned down Man U the year before as he said it didn't feel like the right club for him.
Pretty sure United would be in a far healthier state now had he decided to manage them.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

trueblue1234

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 06, 2019, 12:32:28 PM

At a time, when he left Dortmund they were a shambles and he'd ran them into the ground and in the relegation zone if I recall. Liverpool should be wary history doesn't repeat.
Shambles?
Finished 7th in league,Won the German Super Cup, Runners up in the German Cup and last 16 of the Champions League..
His time was up with them no doubt and compared to previous seasons it wouldn't have been as good,but he hardly left them in a shambles.

Apologies, in the relegation zone most of first half of season. Got act together during last half of season but 7th in Germany is a disaster compared to 7th in England, say. Certainly wasn't an in demand manager. In fact it was only after he announced he was leaving Dortmund started to get the act together.

Liverpool took a gamble on him after giving Rodgers the road. Klopp was unemployed. I don't recall the doors being busted down at too many clubs to take him before Liverpool got in there.

There was united supporters on this thread bemoaning that they should have went for Klopp. Liverpool were lucky with the timing that he was available. The Liverpool job at the time might not have been considered at the top table so who knows what would have happened if there had been other big clubs looking then.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Boycey

Quote from: laoislad on September 06, 2019, 12:45:06 PM
Well I suppose you are right in some regards as hiring any manager is a gamble the same as when you sign a player.
United fans should know all about that the past few seasons with big money spent on previously successful managers and players and they turning out to be not so good, but hiring Klopp wasn't the massive gamble you seem to be making out, he had a pretty decent track record and would have been in high demand.
Klopp himself said he turned down several offers but said he couldn't resist Liverpool when they came calling.
Sure he had even turned down Man U the year before as he said it didn't feel like the right club for him.
Pretty sure United would be in a far healthier state now had he decided to manage them.

Thats the six million dollar question, I've mentioned it here before. Would they be better or would he now being laughed at as that German crank with the funny teeth that couldn't handle United? For me the club is broken and managers won't necessarily fix it.

Was he offered the United job? I've seen different quotes attributed to him varying from him having dinner with Fergie and it not coming up in conversation , to him not understanding Fergie, to him saying that he wouldn't of taken the job anyway cause he was still in contract (that I can believe, he seems that type)

J70

Shambles?

Seriously? ;D

Getting Klopp was an absolute triumph for Liverpool at the time.

And yeah, technically he was unemployed, the same as any highly successful multimillionaire taking a self-determined career sabbatical would be.

Hence, a lot of concern among Liverpool fans over the past few weeks about Klopp's comments that he may be taking another sabbatical at the end of his contract in 2022.

Geoff Tipps

Shambles?

Thought your cousin UnderTheBar was the village idiot of this parish but he's got competition  ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: J70 on September 06, 2019, 01:40:46 PM

Shambles?

Seriously? ;D

Getting Klopp was an absolute triumph for Liverpool at the time.

And yeah, technically he was unemployed, the same as any highly successful multimillionaire taking a self-determined career sabbatical would be.

Hence, a lot of concern among Liverpool fans over the past few weeks about Klopp's comments that he may be taking another sabbatical at the end of his contract in 2022.

There is only so much you can do as a manager, the pressure must be unreal and unhealthy regardless of the success. With the current team he has, he can win at a minimum two league championships. He's done brilliantly at Liverpool

Utd currently have lost the ability to see out games, grab extra goals when on top, and give away clangers. That's a collective problem and regardless of who comes in or changed from the top down won't fix that in the next few seasons
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Boycey on September 06, 2019, 01:32:38 PM
Quote from: laoislad on September 06, 2019, 12:45:06 PM

Thats the six million dollar question, I've mentioned it here before. Would they be better or would he now being laughed at as that German crank with the funny teeth that couldn't handle United? For me the club is broken and managers won't necessarily fix it.

Was he offered the United job? I've seen different quotes attributed to him varying from him having dinner with Fergie and it not coming up in conversation , to him not understanding Fergie, to him saying that he wouldn't of taken the job anyway cause he was still in contract (that I can believe, he seems that type)

Liverpool was a broken club also but in the Fenway sports group owners had the ability to put structures in place to fix things and had a clear vision in how to improve things and bring major progress. Under owners as clueless as United's i think Klopp would have lasted around 2 years.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on September 06, 2019, 01:47:53 PM

Shambles?

Thought your cousin UnderTheBar was the village idiot of this parish but he's got competition  ;D

Don't see the issue here with stating the facts. Hiring a manager who had undoubted success at Dortmund, but also had a bit of a disaster in his final season is/was a risk. It's no insult. I don't know why you would have to be precious about that. It's a risk that obviously has reaped dividends for a variety of factors but the initial point remains.