Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

If I were a United fan I wouldn't be annoyed about the levels of investment in the first team by the Glazers, so much as flabbergasted by the lack of strategy in that investment.

Harry Maguire at 80m was possibly one of the more prudent transfers United have undertaken in the past decade. Which kind of sums it up.

Breaking all sorts of record to bring in fullbacks with zero attacking pedigree was a clinker. Is it even possible to challenge for a title without attacking fullbacks?

Collecting a litany of centre halves that were weaker than Jones and Smalling was bizarre.

Offering £500k a week to Sanchez and making a lazy overpaid first team fee undervalued was an extraordinary decision.

Buying Di Maria for £65m when the manager didn't play with wingers was a head scratcher.

Taking in Chelsea's ageing subs - Mata and Matic - to lead the league cup early rounds XI was unnecessarily extravagant.

Spending a shedload on Lukaku to realise what everyone knew - great finisher, average player - and then sell him for that same reason, was weird.

But not as weird as buying Fred for 50m without seemingly having any idea what position he should play in.

——

None of these seemed like panic buys either. They're just the kind of buys that people would try in Championship Manager, and not in the real world

From the Bunker

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on September 26, 2020, 10:18:04 PM
Manchester United with their customary penalty from Penandes AFTER the final whistle today. The corruption knows no bounds. I wonder will VAR go back and award Sheffield United's over-the-line goal against Villa last year, or correct Liverpool's "offside" against Man city in 2014 to hand us another title. I think not.

Man U got 14 penalties in the Premier League last season.
They got 12 the season before.

That's 26 in two seasons.

Liverpool have got 25 in the last 5 seasons in the Premier League!

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 26, 2020, 10:52:04 PM
Manchester United with their customary penalty from Penandes AFTER the final whistle today. The corruption knows no bounds. I wonder will VAR go back and award Sheffield United's over-the-line goal against Villa last year, or correct Liverpool's "offside" against Man city in 2014 to hand us another title. I think not.

Sure are you surprised..

From the Bunker

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on September 26, 2020, 11:42:47 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 26, 2020, 10:52:04 PM

Sure are you surprised..

Winning Penalties is part of the game? I suppose Man utd players are better coached at winning penalties? It must be something to do with the style of play? It's a Phenomenal run of luck.

This is my favourite Peno from last season

OgraAnDun

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Boycey on September 26, 2020, 07:16:14 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 26, 2020, 05:37:48 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 26, 2020, 05:14:40 PM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on September 26, 2020, 03:29:17 PM
According to some United fans here Ole has a good record in the transfer market. He's spent £130 million on Maguire and AWB. Let that sink in!

Ole had little or no say in those transfers. He has no say in any transfer business. Any manager referring to a former manager as the Boss is always going to be in trouble when looking for respect. Amazing how the Glazers hide in the background in all of this. Seeping money from the club!

The nonsense about the Glazers not spending money or investing is a joke. They have invested the guys of £900m since Fergie retired in 2013. The difference is the purchases have failed, not the lack of investment.

Small point of order the Glazers haven't invested a penny in the club since buying it in 2005. They have cost it £1.5billion in that timeframe though.
It is there business to run as they wish. The reality is that they are the second highest spenders on transfers in the League after Abu Dhabi FC so to whinge about the players purchase because they take money out for themselves is a fallacy. Imagine a factory owner taking money out of his successful business but still paying good money to his employees?  That's what is happening in United

Boycey

U are right bc1 it's their business and they can run as they please but It's much more complex than throwing a number at it and saying United fans have nothing to whine about.

Are the owners running or have they run the club to the greater interest of the team and it's supporters? I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying no. That'd be a lot of fans biggest gripe and I've said that on here endlessly.

Bronco

Why would they run it in the interest of supporters? They want to make money. Supporters are just customers at the end of the day.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Bronco on September 27, 2020, 12:30:23 PM
Why would they run it in the interest of supporters? They want to make money. Supporters are just customers at the end of the day.

True, they have no emotional or egotistical connection to the club.

Boycey

100% true but is the same not true of pretty much all clubs? They're all businesses, where United have strayed off the norm they now exist to make money rather than play football.

Anyway as a fan I reserve the right to be annoyed about it.....

Maroon Manc

United miles off the pace, a very lucky win. The one positive was we looked a bit sharper in attack but looks like its going to be a while before United are at their best; United didn't have legs to close Brighton down.

The one criticism I'd have of Ole would be not starting VDB, Pogba has been exceptionally poor in both league games so far.

Its no surprise that City & Wolves the 2 teams who pretty much in the same situation as United both got hammered this weekend.

A big 10 days for United in the transfer market, 2 players need to come in.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 28, 2020, 09:49:07 AM
United miles off the pace, a very lucky win. The one positive was we looked a bit sharper in attack but looks like its going to be a while before United are at their best; United didn't have legs to close Brighton down.

The one criticism I'd have of Ole would be not starting VDB, Pogba has been exceptionally poor in both league games so far.

Its no surprise that City & Wolves the 2 teams who pretty much in the same situation as United both got hammered this weekend.

A big 10 days for United in the transfer market, 2 players need to come in.

Yes. It's going to be a tough couple of months at least I fear for United. I don't see new signings coming in either.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Boycey on September 27, 2020, 12:07:36 PM
U are right bc1 it's their business and they can run as they please but It's much more complex than throwing a number at it and saying United fans have nothing to whine about.

Are the owners running or have they run the club to the greater interest of the team and it's supporters? I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying no. That'd be a lot of fans biggest gripe and I've said that on here endlessly.

I get that Boycey but what do want the Glazers to do?  They have spent a fortune on players and managers, they just haven't done a very good job. Maybe United fans need to realise that they are no longer the draw for players that they used to be. They are exactly where LFC were prior to Houllier being appointed in terms of rise and bust, with fans having unrealistic expectations. The reality is they need another CB, a left back, a proper DM and a further forward. I doubt they will get that before the window ends.

NAG1

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 28, 2020, 02:02:52 PM
Quote from: Boycey on September 27, 2020, 12:07:36 PM

I get that Boycey but what do want the Glazers to do?  They have spent a fortune on players and managers, they just haven't done a very good job. Maybe United fans need to realise that they are no longer the draw for players that they used to be. They are exactly where LFC were prior to Houllier being appointed in terms of rise and bust, with fans having unrealistic expectations. The reality is they need another CB, a left back, a proper DM and a further forward. I doubt they will get that before the window ends.

Think more the point is BC1 that fans see the money the Glazers are taking out of the club as a percentage against that being invested into the squad and that is the bug bear. The club have been used to float their other interests in America in a period where the squad has lacked high quality additions (over a period of a few seasons) now there are complex arguments about how the squad has been assembled and who the managers have been and the team have been seen as being in decline. So it can then be more difficult to attract that very top player in those circumstances.

That is probably why most sensible fans want to OGS to be given time to do a proper reset of the squad.

Whether he gets that time or not remains to be seen, but at least there seems to be a systematic approach now as opposed to the scattergun of previous windows.

Maroon Manc

If Ole can't get Sancho this summer then I hope he brings in someone in on loan rather then buying for the sake of it. We've seen Bayern win a CL with 2 loan signings this year, they wanted Sane last summer but couldn't get him but managed to get him this summer instead.