Primark fire in belfast

Started by imtommygunn, August 28, 2018, 10:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Really sad to see this today. The damage done on the building is horrendous. I don't know what will happen for the poor employees.

Walked past the fire fighters near the odyssey this evening. They seemed to be running the hoses from there all the way up donegal quay to the fire. You had to feel for them looking at them as they must have put in some shift today.

Walt Jabsco

Yes ITG very sad to see. Demolition a distinct possibility. The NIFRS are using river water from the Lagan to augment the supply from the water network, however this puts a large strain on the network and demand management is implemented. There are possibly domestic properties experiencing loss of supply due to reduced pressure from the fire fighting operation water demand. Given the volume of water required it is not a requirement that high quality water is needed water from other sources is just as effective if it is reasonably close by.

The majority of fire fighters in the city must be attending this one lets hope that nothing more major happens  in the city and if it were to happen would there be enough resources to cope

Dougal Maguire

With all the polyester and acrylic clothing inside it's no wonder the fire spread so quickly
Careful now

Minder

Just after a £30m renovation too, feel sorry for the staff involved, uncertain times for them you would think
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

RedHand88

Quote from: hardstation on August 28, 2018, 10:41:51 PM
I feel sorry for these two:

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/belfast-primark-fire-survivors-tell-15083278

"A fella then came over and said the doors at the front were blocked with cages so we couldn't get out that way. A fella with us who was with a child joked that if it was a real fire we'd all be dead."

Don Johnson

Is that how you two get your kicks, taking the piss out of school children? Good stuff.

Orior

1) Sad for all those who lost their jobs

2) Sad, I suspect, for the contractor who was doing the refurb

3) Plenty of material to shame Snarlene with
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Dougal Maguire

Careful now

Milltown Row2

Watched it today, couldn't help think about how it will affect everyone employed there and the surrounding area, mourne food restaurant Kelly Cellars and any other businesses in Castle Street!

The damage and possible destruction to that famed building will be hard to take also, irs been a landmark building in  Belfast which stood out as well as City Hall in my opinion, hopefully it can be salvaged, I thought it was gone when I heard a almighty boom during the afternoon
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Wildweasel74

That was just the gas cyclinders going off; heard 3 large bangs over the hour from 12 to 1pm

Orior

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on August 28, 2018, 11:19:04 PM
Don't get the third point

Various jibes about RHI boilers and that Primark supported the LGBT community.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

seafoid

Quote from: Orior on August 28, 2018, 11:15:02 PM
1) Sad for all those who lost their jobs

2) Sad, I suspect, for the contractor who was doing the refurb

3) Plenty of material to shame Snarlene with
Is there no property insurance in NI?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

You would have thought that the premiums etc will go up a lot for said contractor.

Interesting walt. It looked like a serious operation getting the water from the lagan.

general_lee

Is it just me or is there something dodgy about it?

imtommygunn

I don't think so. The rumours have already been circling as to how it happened and there's nothing dodgy about the rumours. Stupidity and mistakes.