Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goals_Will_Come

Only viable Management options with Tyrone links:
Malachy O'Rourke (My personal preference, him and Porter be a fantastic ticket. Also would keep them out of the Derry job)
Paddy Tally (Next best, would set up the team well and would be a good man working with the young players coming through from Under 20)
Mickey Harte (Performance with Louth merits consideration but it would be a backword step)

No one else inside the county has the CV or the stature for it. Although likes of Enda McGinley, Ricey, Collie Holmes etc would be great men to have on the backroom ticket.

Would Tyrone look outside the county and move with the times? Jim McGuiness, Jim Gavin, Stephen Rochford?

WT4E

tyrone08

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on July 02, 2023, 10:36:00 AM
Only viable Management options with Tyrone links:
Malachy O'Rourke (My personal preference, him and Porter be a fantastic ticket. Also would keep them out of the Derry job)
Paddy Tally (Next best, would set up the team well and would be a good man working with the young players coming through from Under 20)
Mickey Harte (Performance with Louth merits consideration but it would be a backword step)

No one else inside the county has the CV or the stature for it. Although likes of Enda McGinley, Ricey, Collie Holmes etc would be great men to have on the backroom ticket.

Would Tyrone look outside the county and move with the times? Jim McGuiness, Jim Gavin, Stephen Rochford?

Would like to get Steve on will back in as thought he worked wonders with McShane. Would also like to get Peter Donnelly back but not sure how viable that is.

HokeyPokey

Quote from: Quarterbackk on July 02, 2023, 09:43:04 AM
Not moaning rather trying to work out the following:

How Mc Gearys Confidence has went to rock bottom following a POTY award
The same for Mc Shane (who actually looked good when he came on yesterday)
How T Mc Cann and Ruairi Brennan were surplus to requirements
How probably the best forward in the county M Bradley was surplus to requirements
Why so many players left the panel.

Maybe im missing something?

McGeary always felt like a patchy player to my memory and it just came together for him in 2021.

I think McCann and R Brennan had had their fill. McCann had done a lot of travelling over the years for training. Neither were or should have been guaranteed starters or guaranteed to be brought on. I think McCann also has started a business? Bradley had left before and again similar situation, so I don't think it was a surprise. I don't think Tyrone needed another nippy small player yesterday. There were a lot of good players who left, but none who were calling out to start over who was already there. Since there were so many in that bracket, you wouldn't blame them for cutting their losses and ending on a high.

McShane has had bad luck with injuries and hasn't looked sharp, especially in winter football. I think others have suggested that he and McCurry(?) make the same types of runs. It could be an issue of the ball being put into him. McShane was brilliant in 2019, if we can get him going again and build with the two Canavans around him, it would be a good place to start.

Donaghy and Nathan Donnelly (even though he never impressed me) would be the ones which would be concerning.

Every player can't start, but it's disappointing that we've had some forwards with great potential which hasn't been fulfilled like McAliskey, L. Brennan Donaghy, R. O'Neill etc. I think it's hard to keep guys happy. Not letting fringe players play for their clubs is probably an issue which should be looked at. If players are training and not playing, letting them play for their clubs would help them get the frustration out of their system.

I've seen assumptions that something isn't right in the camp, but few rumours. I'd imagine a change of management is needed all the same. Tyrone persisted with Harte for too long and they shouldn't make the same mistake. There's enough good footballers there to be able to compete. 

NotedObserver

Quote from: HokeyPokey on July 02, 2023, 11:33:35 AM

How probably the best forward in the county M Bradley was surplus to requirements

McGeary always felt like a patchy player to my memory and it just came together for him in 2021.

I think McCann and R Brennan had had their fill. McCann had done a lot of travelling over the years for training. Neither were or should have been guaranteed starters or guaranteed to be brought on. I think McCann also has started a business? Bradley had left before and again similar situation, so I don't think it was a surprise. I don't think Tyrone needed another nippy small player yesterday. There were a lot of good players who left, but none who were calling out to start over who was already there. Since there were so many in that bracket, you wouldn't blame them for cutting their losses and ending on a high.

McShane has had bad luck with injuries and hasn't looked sharp, especially in winter football. I think others have suggested that he and McCurry(?) make the same types of runs. It could be an issue of the ball being put into him. McShane was brilliant in 2019, if we can get him going again and build with the two Canavans around him, it would be a good place to start.

Donaghy and Nathan Donnelly (even though he never impressed me) would be the ones which would be concerning.

Every player can't start, but it's disappointing that we've had some forwards with great potential which hasn't been fulfilled like McAliskey, L. Brennan Donaghy, R. O'Neill etc. I think it's hard to keep guys happy. Not letting fringe players play for their clubs is probably an issue which should be looked at. If players are training and not playing, letting them play for their clubs would help them get the frustration out of their system.

I've seen assumptions that something isn't right in the camp, but few rumours. I'd imagine a change of management is needed all the same. Tyrone persisted with Harte for too long and they shouldn't make the same mistake. There's enough good footballers there to be able to compete.

Nathan Donnelly was similar to Cormac Munroe this year. Tried to give them a go but didnt seem to be at the level. Dropped and then left the panel. McAliskey had plenty of game time but not sure if the others ever did enough to demand more game time. It has proven difficult to keep lads on the panel for a squad roles.

HokeyPokey

Quote from: NotedObserver on July 02, 2023, 12:01:58 PM
Quote from: HokeyPokey on July 02, 2023, 11:33:35 AM

Nathan Donnelly was similar to Cormac Munroe this year. Tried to give them a go but didnt seem to be at the level. Dropped and then left the panel. McAliskey had plenty of game time but not sure if the others ever did enough to demand more game time. It has proven difficult to keep lads on the panel for a squad roles.

I don't think it was just game time. It was playing to forwards strengths and giving them confidence. McCurry has spoken about it, I think Canvanagh did. McCurry has shown what he can do when he is given confidence and trust by the team. McAliskey, R. O'Neill, Brennan, Bradley, McCurry and others all clearly had talent. You can say it was up to them, but none really put back to back good seasons. I think looking back the tactics of Harte were a big issue, there was a lack of quality for a while, but we had some good forwards. Most counties don't have that luck. We need to ask why wasn't the best being got out of them?

Jim Bob

also the Tyrone club scene is second to none  in the country and if players are not getting any football with the county then they'd obviously find it difficult to sit and watch their club every week. They d rather be playing !

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: HokeyPokey on July 01, 2023, 11:35:31 PM
Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on July 01, 2023, 11:23:22 PM
Simply put, Tyrone wouldn't have done that under Mickey. The side from 2015 were putrid and they were a point behind after 60mins. Forget not landing a punch, Tyrone didn't even throw one.

You look at the other sides around the province. Monaghan, Armagh and Derry would all have less talent imo, yet you could argue all are superior.

Tyrone got pummelled by Dublin under Harte. There's enough talent in Tyrone to not have to play limited football. Mickey never trusted or gave his forwards confidence after the 00s. Look how McCurry has performed since. O'Neill, McAliskey and others should have done more in the right environment.

Think Dooher and Logan should probably go, but whatever the question is, Mickey isn't the answer.

Indeed. Mickey had his time and it will never be forgotten but he stayed too long in the end and nobody should seriously contemplate going back to him.

2021 wouldn't have happened had Mickey been in charge. His influence on that group was massive but it was clear that Logan and Dooher gave the team that crucial extra little bit of freedom and belief and it took them up a level. There was also real evidence at that point that Tyrone could improve still further. Unfortunately the team has lacked direction and identity ever since. You could make an argument for 2022 in a way given they had won an unexpected AI  and it was all new to players and management (was still very poor though) but no excuses for another rudderless season this year. Never looked like a team that really knew what it was doing. Too much of an ask after months of extremely patchy performances to think they could suddenly turn it on in Croke Park.

If you had said Logan and Dooher would win 1 AI in a 3 year term most people would have been delighted. They earned their place in Tyrone GAA history. But the subsequent two years after that win were a mess and a change is certainly required.

tyroneman

McShane has struggled with injury and has not had a full pre season and clean league run since before the injury.

Defensively we are all at sea and seem way behind other teams in conditioning.

That and playing a non scoring HB and HF line

Doogan allowed mcKenna a bit of freedom, but I remember an article that looked at the stats and made the point that that Harte's team kicked long more than the 2021 team, so the front foot stuff Doogan supposedly brought was a bit of a myth. I think they essentially got over the line making a few very small adjustments to Harte's team and have brought nothing to the party since.

tyrone08

Quote from: tyroneman on July 02, 2023, 04:43:49 PM
McShane has struggled with injury and has not had a full pre season and clean league run since before the injury.

Defensively we are all at sea and seem way behind other teams in conditioning.

That and playing a non scoring HB and HF line

Doogan allowed mcKenna a bit of freedom, but I remember an article that looked at the stats and made the point that that Harte's team kicked long more than the 2021 team, so the front foot stuff Doogan supposedly brought was a bit of a myth. I think they essentially got over the line making a few very small adjustments to Harte's team and have brought nothing to the party since.

Agree however those tweaks were vital. No way Tyrone win in 2021 with Mickey still there.

sam03/05

Think there is a few barren years for a while regardless of who is management
The Mattie Ds, Peter Hartes  etc are coming to an end as we saw yesterday - they will be hard to replace - yes there is talent but it could two or three years before it's ready to compete at top level.
The 21 win was a team at its peak- the McGeary/ Donnelly / Bradley/ Meyler, Harte / etc  team - that had been in the final in 2018.
Will take a bit of a rebuild job for whoever is there next year. Could mean a couple of barren years, but there is young talent emerging.

square_ball

I'm pretty convinced the 2 Canavans will win us an all Ireland at some point in the next few years.

Is there anyone else in the u20s worth a go next year?

square_ball

Think Clarshak said in another thread Kerry are bad losers and even worse winners.

https://twitter.com/gaa__joe/status/1675577586905145344?s=46

CK_Redhand

In life some people are bad losers. Some are bad winners. Some are just assholes.

f**k RTE. The presenter and other pundits laughing along is a disgrace too. They need to issue an apology, I know this will never happen.

Jimbop

Ah lads lighten up a bit. He's only having a bit of craic.