Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

God14

You're right  of course milhailov

Despite widespread false reporting, we hammered cavan in the inaugural u17 ulster final of 2017

Our victorious team included senior panelists Darragh Canavan, Cormac Munroe & Michael Conroy. As well as former senior panelist Mattie Murnaghan

nrico2006

Quote from: God14 on August 14, 2021, 06:51:09 PM
You're right  of course milhailov

Despite widespread false reporting, we hammered cavan in the inaugural u17 ulster final of 2017

Our victorious team included senior panelists Darragh Canavan, Cormac Munroe & Michael Conroy. As well as former senior panelist Mattie Murnaghan

Dunno if that counted though.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Mikhailov

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 14, 2021, 09:09:04 AM
Excellent performance by the young lads, would have been some score if theyd brought the shooting boots. Seems to be a great spirit amongst the team and management. Cork will be a serious step up but great to have a minor title again after a relatively quiet few years.

Seems like a very good minor team but to say it has been a quiet few years is not 100% accurate. In terms of trophies it is but last years team (competition finished in 2021) only lost to eventual All Ireland winners Derry by 1 point - it could as easily have been Tyrone who won that game but Derry were just slightly better in last 5 minutes. The 2018 team won the ulster U17 competition so that is 2 wins in 4 years, not bad for a 'relatively quiet few years'
I expect this years team to win it outright, a good TEAM with some good individuals but the team appears to take priority. They will be hard to beat for sure.

Windmill abu

Tyrone V Kerry back on. Re fixed for 28th August.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

NotedObserver

Quote from: Windmill abu on August 15, 2021, 07:18:40 PM

What's craic for a ticket?

In hiding

Quote from: Mikhailov on August 14, 2021, 10:06:57 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on August 14, 2021, 09:09:04 AM
Excellent performance by the young lads, would have been some score if theyd brought the shooting boots. Seems to be a great spirit amongst the team and management. Cork will be a serious step up but great to have a minor title again after a relatively quiet few years.

Seems like a very good minor team but to say it has been a quiet few years is not 100% accurate. In terms of trophies it is but last years team (competition finished in 2021) only lost to eventual All Ireland winners Derry by 1 point - it could as easily have been Tyrone who won that game but Derry were just slightly better in last 5 minutes. The 2018 team won the ulster U17 competition so that is 2 wins in 4 years, not bad for a 'relatively quiet few years'
I expect this years team to win it outright, a good TEAM with some good individuals but the team appears to take priority. They will be hard to beat for sure.
Why ? Have you seen Meath, Cork and Sligo ?

bogball88

Quote from: NotedObserver on August 15, 2021, 07:31:50 PM
Quote from: Windmill abu on August 15, 2021, 07:18:40 PM

What's craic for a ticket?
They were still in my gaa ticketmaster account. Although they had given me more tickets than I had applied for so just used the reporting method to inform them of this and was rectified within 30 mins

Goals_Will_Come

Tyrone will play Meath in the Electric Ireland All-Ireland Minor Final following a comprehensive victory over Cork at Bord na Mona O'Connor Park in Offaly yesterday afternoon.

The Ulster champions were in control from start to finish and the margin of victory would have been greater but for the performance of Cork keeper Daniel Walsh, who made five outstanding saves over the course of the hour.

Despite playing against the wind, Tyrone dominated the first half to lead 0-10 to 0-3. They could have been further ahead only for Walsh denying Shea O'Hare from the penalty spot, one of three outstanding first-half saves.

Eoin McElholm opened the scoring in the third minute with a well-taken point before half-back Hugh Cunningham doubled their advantage from a free on the right wing. Hugh O'Connor then opened Cork's account in the ninth minute from a free.

Ronan Cassidy knocked over a Tyrone free and the same player then added a good score from play before Gavin Potter was denied by Walsh.

Cormac Devlin and O'Connor swapped points before Walsh came to Cork's rescue again, this time saving from Cassidy. McElholm then pushed Tyrone four clear before Potter was fouled for that penalty in the 20th minute.

O'Connor won a free which he converted himself but that proved to be Cork's last score of the opening period. Tyrone midfielder Ruairi McHugh curled over a beauty before Cunningham converted another free. Tyrone were well on top at this stage and they had the final say of the half through Ronan Strain to leave them well in control.

O'Connor opened the second-half scoring for the Munster champions but any thoughts of a comeback were soon quashed. Half-time substitute Conor Owens pointed from a free as well as from play as Tyrone continued to dominate.

The superb McElholm added a couple of points with keeper Walsh saving twice from Cassidy.

Owens, Strain, McElholm and substitute Jack Martin all tagged on points as a rampant Tyrone kept the scoreboard ticking over.

Cork substitute Dylan Crowley bundled in a consolation goal but Tyrone responded through Cassidy and Martin on a day when they had eight different scorers.

Tyrone: N Robinson, M Rafferty, R Fox, C Kelly, H Cunningham (0-2, 2F), S O'Hare, M Mallon, R Donnelly, R McHugh (0-1), R Strain (0-2), C Devlin (0-1), G Potter, R Cassidy (0-5, 3F), P McCann, E McElholm (0-5). Subs: C Owens (0-4, 3F) for McCann, N Grimes for Potter, B Hampsey for Fox, J Martin (0-3) for Strain, B Hughes for O'Hare

Cork: D Walsh, D Twomey, S O'Connell, P O'Grady, S Copps, C Twomey, D O'Brien, M McSweeney, R O'Shaughnessy, J O'Neill, N Kelly, C Gillespie, L O'Herlihy, J O'Driscoll, H O'Connor (0-4, 3F). Subs: F Crowley for McSweeney, J Cunningham for Kelly, O Corcoran for O'Herlihy, D Crowley (1-1) for Gillespie, A Kelleher (0-1) for O'Brien

Referee: B Tiernan, Dublin

Jayop

I watched the Meath Sligo game with keen interest because I'm longer living in Sligo now than what I was in Strabane so would have a soft spot for Sligo and a few of our club men were in the Sligo team. Infairness Meath had them we'll beat and if it wasn't for the red card they would have probably been out of sight. I don't know what the Meath lad got the second yellow for, I must have missed it. Meath looked a strong team with some big powerful lads and some really rapid runners.

With Tyrone it's really hard to know, the Ulster final was barely a game and do we know if Cork just had a really really off day or were Tyrone miles better. Like without the Cork keeper it would have been a cricket score.

You'd be expecting Tyrone to win now after having seen both finals but with kids it's never that easy. Just great to see them playing some really positive football and look so composed (unless going for goal :) )

An Watcher

As good as the Cork keeper was Tyrone really should have had a further goal or two.  Only criticism from an excellent performance.
I thought Meath looked excellent defensively or maybe sligo were poor offensively.  Hard to know. 
Based on both games though you'd have to make Tyrone strong favourites. 

Jayop

Aye the last two chances in particular were gilt edged chances that you expect top young players to bury but in fairness to the lad he was out and made himself as big as possible.

Tyrone and taking good goal chances at all levels has been a problem for years. The last boy I would have called a pure goal scorer was Ronan O'Neil. You'd back him 1v1 all the time.

tyrone08

Quote from: Jayop on August 23, 2021, 07:56:28 PM
Aye the last two chances in particular were gilt edged chances that you expect top young players to bury but in fairness to the lad he was out and made himself as big as possible.

Tyrone and taking good goal chances at all levels has been a problem for years. The last boy I would have called a pure goal scorer was Ronan O'Neil. You'd back him 1v1 all the time.

I wonder if it is how they are being coached at a young age? You are spot on about tyrone and goal scores. Since the likes of Owen and stevie left tyrone have a poor goal ratio. The top teams always go for goal where we seem to play the safe option and go for the point.

Jayop

We do look like an extremely "coached" county if you know what I mean. All players excellent at running the ball, retaining possession, accurate passing, soloing, point taking. All the real coachable skills of the game. We have lacked some of the things that could maybe be harder to coach, high fielding and importantly pure goal scorers instinct. Dublin kinda score a lot of their goals through pulling teams apart like only they can at the moment, Kerry and Mayo tend to get goals through more individual direct play.

I could of course be talking utter shit

I've not seen anything like enough of him but what about Canavan?

tyrone08

Quote from: Jayop on August 23, 2021, 09:11:43 PM
We do look like an extremely "coached" county if you know what I mean. All players excellent at running the ball, retaining possession, accurate passing, soloing, point taking. All the real coachable skills of the game. We have lacked some of the things that could maybe be harder to coach, high fielding and importantly pure goal scorers instinct. Dublin kinda score a lot of their goals through pulling teams apart like only they can at the moment, Kerry and Mayo tend to get goals through more individual direct play.

I could of course be talking utter shit

I've not seen anything like enough of him but what about Canavan?

I agree with what you are saying, seems the downside of being a well coached well drilled side is that we lose the natural flare some players have. Reading a few of the tyrone players books from the 00s and they all said the same thing. They trusted themselves to change the game on the pitch as they saw fit. If they saw a game plan not working they went ahead and changed it.

Sean said in his book that the big games against Dublin when it was clear the game plan was not working they still had to stick to it. He said if that was the team of the 00s they would have just went ahead and changed it regardless of management.

Seems that with too much coaching players lose the ability to think for themselves, instead they rely solely on the game plan.

nrico2006

Quote from: Jayop on August 23, 2021, 06:34:19 PM
I watched the Meath Sligo game with keen interest because I'm longer living in Sligo now than what I was in Strabane so would have a soft spot for Sligo and a few of our club men were in the Sligo team. Infairness Meath had them we'll beat and if it wasn't for the red card they would have probably been out of sight. I don't know what the Meath lad got the second yellow for, I must have missed it. Meath looked a strong team with some big powerful lads and some really rapid runners.

With Tyrone it's really hard to know, the Ulster final was barely a game and do we know if Cork just had a really really off day or were Tyrone miles better. Like without the Cork keeper it would have been a cricket score.

You'd be expecting Tyrone to win now after having seen both finals but with kids it's never that easy. Just great to see them playing some really positive football and look so composed (unless going for goal :) )

Trying to figure out how many Strabane men I know in Sligo and I only got three. Two from Carlton Drive and one from Carrick Strand.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'