Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redhandefender

Quote from: omagh_gael on September 04, 2017, 01:47:57 PM
I still think Mickey is the man to lead the county for another year, as long as there is a slight change to a more attack focused system. The reality is there are no standout alternatives out there at the minute and most would implement a much similar system. .

One player, not in the squad at the minute, who may make a difference is McNulty from Clonoe. Have these bridges been burned, however? He may not be the most prolific scorer out there but he has the build we are missing in our forward unit.

Administrators can't ask a manager to stay on and dictate what style of football he plays. That would never happen. I think he has done enough to warrant another year. Its a tough situation I think a new voice could be needed but he will never walk and if he was ousted a) we would be torn to pieces nationwide and b) no one with a connection to him would take the job! also you would really want to be in a position where someone is putting their hand up for the post. Paddy Tally probably has but the style of football would be the same which seems to be the crux of why people want him out.

McNulty has no interest in commiting to that level for a year, nothing to do with a fall out

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on September 04, 2017, 11:38:12 AM
This past week I've been in limbo regarding the future of the Tyrone manager.  Weighed up the arguments but now I'm firmly in the Micky out camp.

I've heard (open to correction) that he is meeting with the county panel to begin plans for next year on Monday before the vote has taken place on Tuesday on an extra term.  The arrogance of this is unbelievable if true.  I'll be forever grateful for the success brought in the noughties.

Id expect that club delegates have been given their instructions by clubs ahead of Tuesday nights vote or discussion.  I hope the delegates aren't just acting on their own opinions and the decision is made without wider consultation.  I'd also be interested in the opinion of the current county players regarding their faith in the management system.

Saying all this, I can't give you a name of the person who I'd like to take Tyrone forward, I just feel Micky has delivered all he can for the county.

I'm not sure if you are correct or not on the above but Harte meets the players at the end of every season. I think its a review of the year and closure on it. I'm not saying next year isn't mentioned or wont be mentioned but as far as I know that's what the meeting is about. I'm sure he hasn't picked a panel for next year or anything yet so although there may be some mention of next year the main focus will be on the 2017 season.

southtyronegael

Omaghgael, we said the same thing last year,regarding tactics' and style of play. Nothing changed and we've lost another year. We obviosly need a change of direction and I don't see how giving Harte one more year can achieve that. We need to be thinkin about the next 3-5 years and plan accordingly.

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: southtyronegael on September 04, 2017, 12:51:32 PM
is the actual vote on hartes future on tuesday night? have clubs been consulted about this?

Actually not sure, I was assuming something like this would need to be tied up at the earliest opportunity to allow either time to find a replacement or for Mickey to begin scouting the championships for 2018.

I would expect some sort of decision to be made Tuesday night.  So if you are a Harte IN or Harte OUT it maybe worthwhile contacting your club delegate  :D  Regarding a decision already being made that can't be the case, a recommendation can be made but there isn't a decision until its voted on by delegates.
Living the dream!!!

omagh_gael

Quote from: southtyronegael on September 04, 2017, 02:17:14 PM
Omaghgael, we said the same thing last year,regarding tactics' and style of play. Nothing changed and we've lost another year. We obviosly need a change of direction and I don't see how giving Harte one more year can achieve that. We need to be thinkin about the next 3-5 years and plan accordingly.

I think Mickey was right in implementing the system we used this year and last. It's aim was to scupper the Dubs/Mayo/Kerry. Last year it was given a bye because it appeared the players/team had a total off day and we really should have beat Mayo if McCarron and McCurry had scored their points. This year has, without doubt, shown that the system is not the answer.

Mickey said he wouldn't change a whole pile in his post match interview. The question is was this Mickey being stubborn and refusing to (publically) admit it was wrong or has he realised we aren't going anywhere and, behind closed doors, is working on a different approach. Stephen Rochford is the total opposite to Harte in his interviews. He is refreshingly honest and humble and shares his thoughts on what worked/didn't work. How can ratification/club delegates make an informed decision without some sort of insight into our direction of travel next year. There should be some onus on Harte to share his thoughts/ideas of his approach next year. Again I'm not talking intimate details, more like an overarching view.

skeog

Two years would be ideal,be careful for wishing new regime.

Over the Bar

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 04, 2017, 04:31:41 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on September 04, 2017, 01:25:54 PM
i think over the bar is on the windup lads.

Fancy a wager then STG? ;)

I'd imagine the most likely outcome is a 1 year extension because people are afraid of what change might bring. It will take balls for the club delegates to vote for change.

Although Harte himself won't be happy with the 1 year he will want 2 minimum.
Living the dream!!!

skeog

southtyronegael

will the club delegates be able to vote in secret? if so then they can just vote how they have been instructed without fear. no way harte will survive a vote.

DEL

Could one man name a manager who could do more than Harte? Truth is we are short up front we just don't have the forwards we had during glory years. Badly need a 14. I get it people don't like Harte for a variety of reasons (most not football related) but he's unquestionably the best we had and have. Sick of men spouting shite after a defeat and secretly delighted to stir the pot. Unless you are contributing something to Tyrone/your club in some shape or form away and follow the Irish league they are mad looking clowns.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: longballin on September 02, 2017, 08:16:50 AM
Quote from: sam03/05 on September 02, 2017, 08:02:08 AM
How do you get rid of a man that has just won back to back Ulster titles and kept us playing Div 1 football. A lot of people in Tyrone are spoilt brats on the back of success that was delivered by Harte himself. 
They should be careful for what they wish for - just look around
Derry - no Ulster senior title in 20 years. Armagh no Ulster title this decade - both playing in Div 3. Down pretty much the same. Don't think the same thing can't happen to Tyrone - who could have predicted for example Derry not to win an Ulster title for 20 years in the late 1990s

Now if Mickey had us playing in Div 3 with no prospects in Ulster then I would be calling for him to go.
If a manager in any other Ulster county had just won back to back Ulster titles and delivered Div 1 status he would be hailed as some sort of Messiah.
The problem that we have is that Tyrone have a good team but Dublin are the best team ever to play the game in my opinion. No change of management can do much about that.

A decent club team would have beat those Ulster teams. Not that long ago Tyrone were in the business of challenging for All Ireland titles and Phillip Jordan has said winning Ulster only meant a stepping stone to that. Last Sunday showed tactically Harte is now way behind Gavin and other managers... apparently it was the lowest tackle count against this Dublin team in recent years. If that is satisfactary we've back to the 1970s when winning Ulster was the height of our ambition. At least Mayo and Kerry would have a go...

5 of those Ulster sides made it through to the last 12.

You need some perspective here.

Harte deserves criticism for the performance against Dublin, it was an abject failure and we got our tactics badly wrong, in saying that the players also deserve a huge amount of criticism too as many of them simply weren't up for it.

Dublin seem to be so far ahead of 30 other counties in the country right now, time will tell how far the gap is with Mayo in a fortnight. When a county like Dublin with all its resources - playing numbers, financial support and local employment - get its structures right then inevitably they will pull ahead and that's what we've seen right now. Dublin have hammered everyone en route to the final, it's not conceivable they would not do the same to Mayo and if they do will there then be the same perspective applied.

We were in a bit of a crisis in 2014 and if Harte walked away or was jettisoned out then, I would not have complained much. Since then he has implemented a new style of play that has seen 2 Ulster title and AI semi finals in 3 years. It's not too bad a return from when we were in 2015. This system was badly exposed the last day out and certainly needs to be tweaked at the minimum. The point I'd make is that why change for change sake? Maybe this is as far as Harte can take us but I don't see anyone else taking us further, the best players in the county are committed, more or less, if we play a certain way then it is to compensate for weaknesses such as lack ball winning forwards in the mode of a Geaney, Andrews, McManus or tight marking corner backs. I think if we played a different way then those limitations become more apparent.

It's competitive football, I couldn't give two hoots what style of football we play as long as it gives us our best chance of being successful and getting the most out of our players. I think the mass defence system employed since 2015 has done that to a point. Since 2013 when Jim Gavin took over Dublin have lost only one Championship game and have filleted teams left, right and centre.

I just don't see what some people expect Harte to achieve and it's sickening to hear the nasty and petty personal gripes with a Tyrone GAA legend polluting this thread endlessly.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: southtyronegael on September 03, 2017, 10:07:33 AM
im sure whoever the new manager is will be told that our gameplan needs to evolve to more attacking. the top teams have evolved but we and ulster in general have been left behind. and im not sure mickey can evolve at this stage.

By top teams who do you mean?

Dublin?

Because everyone with the exception of Mayo are so far behind them that it's not funny.

time ticking away

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 05, 2017, 02:30:44 AM
Quote from: southtyronegael on September 03, 2017, 10:07:33 AM
im sure whoever the new manager is will be told that our gameplan needs to evolve to more attacking. the top teams have evolved but we and ulster in general have been left behind. and im not sure mickey can evolve at this stage.

By top teams who do you mean?

Dublin?

Because everyone with the exception of Mayo are so far behind them that it's not funny.
Let me get this right.
Before the tyrone dublin semi final you argued that 5 tyrone players would be guaranteed to make a combined tyrone dublin select with a possibility of 8 tyrone players making it. Now you say dublin are miles ahead.
If tyrone have as many top players as dublin do what would make dublin a much better team ?
Management ?
Tactics ?
Or is it simply depth of squad.
Players fault again
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

Mikhailov

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 05, 2017, 02:24:03 AM
Quote from: longballin on September 02, 2017, 08:16:50 AM
Quote from: sam03/05 on September 02, 2017, 08:02:08 AM
How do you get rid of a man that has just won back to back Ulster titles and kept us playing Div 1 football. A lot of people in Tyrone are spoilt brats on the back of success that was delivered by Harte himself. 
They should be careful for what they wish for - just look around
Derry - no Ulster senior title in 20 years. Armagh no Ulster title this decade - both playing in Div 3. Down pretty much the same. Don't think the same thing can't happen to Tyrone - who could have predicted for example Derry not to win an Ulster title for 20 years in the late 1990s

Now if Mickey had us playing in Div 3 with no prospects in Ulster then I would be calling for him to go.
If a manager in any other Ulster county had just won back to back Ulster titles and delivered Div 1 status he would be hailed as some sort of Messiah.
The problem that we have is that Tyrone have a good team but Dublin are the best team ever to play the game in my opinion. No change of management can do much about that.

A decent club team would have beat those Ulster teams. Not that long ago Tyrone were in the business of challenging for All Ireland titles and Phillip Jordan has said winning Ulster only meant a stepping stone to that. Last Sunday showed tactically Harte is now way behind Gavin and other managers... apparently it was the lowest tackle count against this Dublin team in recent years. If that is satisfactary we've back to the 1970s when winning Ulster was the height of our ambition. At least Mayo and Kerry would have a go...

5 of those Ulster sides made it through to the last 12.

You need some perspective here.

Harte deserves criticism for the performance against Dublin, it was an abject failure and we got our tactics badly wrong, in saying that the players also deserve a huge amount of criticism too as many of them simply weren't up for it.

Dublin seem to be so far ahead of 30 other counties in the country right now, time will tell how far the gap is with Mayo in a fortnight. When a county like Dublin with all its resources - playing numbers, financial support and local employment - get its structures right then inevitably they will pull ahead and that's what we've seen right now. Dublin have hammered everyone en route to the final, it's not conceivable they would not do the same to Mayo and if they do will there then be the same perspective applied.

We were in a bit of a crisis in 2014 and if Harte walked away or was jettisoned out then, I would not have complained much. Since then he has implemented a new style of play that has seen 2 Ulster title and AI semi finals in 3 years. It's not too bad a return from when we were in 2015. This system was badly exposed the last day out and certainly needs to be tweaked at the minimum. The point I'd make is that why change for change sake? Maybe this is as far as Harte can take us but I don't see anyone else taking us further, the best players in the county are committed, more or less, if we play a certain way then it is to compensate for weaknesses such as lack ball winning forwards in the mode of a Geaney, Andrews, McManus or tight marking corner backs. I think if we played a different way then those limitations become more apparent.

It's competitive football, I couldn't give two hoots what style of football we play as long as it gives us our best chance of being successful and getting the most out of our players. I think the mass defence system employed since 2015 has done that to a point. Since 2013 when Jim Gavin took over Dublin have lost only one Championship game and have filleted teams left, right and centre.

I just don't see what some people expect Harte to achieve and it's sickening to hear the nasty and petty personal gripes with a Tyrone GAA legend polluting this thread endlessly.

Bomber, are you suggesting that SouthTyroneGael is a Tyrone GAA legend...