Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Up The Middle on August 31, 2017, 02:18:18 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 31, 2017, 02:01:17 PM
Hard to know where to start with last Sunday. It was a terrible performance and a huge let down. I think everyone expected a lot more from the team. I don't think anyone could question a defeat to the current Dublin team but the performance and what appeared to be almost a lack of effort/guts by a lot of the players was the biggest sickner and will be the hardest thing to recover from.

The usual boys will come on here and slag off Harte and blame everything on him. The same boys were quiet all summer after we won every game comfortably and gave Harte no credit for that. Personally I think Harte is an easy scapegoat for them. 3 years ago we looked miles away from even Donegal after a defeat to Armagh and have improved considerably from then.

There could well be an argument that Harte feels the need to play the system based on the players available. No matter what way you look at it we don't have top class corner backs and top class strong scoring forwards. Other than Colm Cavanagh we lack ball winners as well. I'm not sure any of these players have been available in Tyrone the last few years. So Harte has brought in a system to make use of the countless good running players we have which gives extra protection to the defence and ensures scores from all over the team.

I certainly don't think Harte can escape criticism for Sunday. We played right into Dublin's hands particularly on the kickout's. We did a half press on them which is the worst thing you can do against Dublin. I've no idea how he thought it would work. It meant Dublin always had a free man or two whilst pulling 4 or 5 of our players up the pitch and leaving plenty of space at the back.

I only want Harte to stay on if he is going to alter the system. We have to go back to basics. Players have to become obsessed with winning possession of the ball and move away from marking space. We have to stop inviting the big teams onto us in croke park and hope for turnovers and space to run into. We need to get back to pushing up on kickouts and fighting for possession around the middle.

I'd like to see us almost go back to the tactics of 03. A centre half back who drops back when we don't have the ball to protect the full back line and midfielder who covers in front of him. Half forwards dropping back when we don't have the ball. Other than that operate a much more man for man game were the players have much more individual responsibility and cant hide behind the system.

We need to somehow find two good tight marking corner backs with less focus on them running up the field. Obvious contenders are Brennan, Munroe, Cassidy etc though they all have a lot to prove. We need to find a ball winning midfielder, hopefully McClure can step up in this area. We also need to find a hard working physically strong half forward who can help out round the middle and drop back. I'm not sure if this is the role that best suits Mattie but either way we need to do something to get the best out of him in big games.

Full forward line could be the hardest one to fix. We've lots of similar nice forwards but they all struggle to win their own ball if its kicked in long which would have to be done more often playing a traditional game. I'm not convinced there is a huge number of options outside the current panel that will vastly improve the team in the short term anyway but maybe I'm wrong.

If you cant blame the man who came up with the system and implemented it for 3 years who should we blame. Honestly its the same drivel from you all the time, youre defending the indefensible now. As for not been able to beat Donegal 3 years ago, maybe they have gone backwards and Tyrone have just stayed where they were.

Out of curiosity if you had every player available in Tyrone what would the team you would have started on Sunday been?

Up The Middle

Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 31, 2017, 02:42:45 PM
Hard to know where to start with last Sunday. It was a terrible performance and a huge let down. I think everyone expected a lot more from the team. I don't think anyone could question a defeat to the current Dublin team but the performance and what appeared to be almost a lack of effort/guts by a lot of the players was the biggest sickner and will be the hardest thing to recover from.

The usual boys will come on here and slag off Harte and blame everything on him. The same boys were quiet all summer after we won every game comfortably and gave Harte no credit for that. Personally I think Harte is an easy scapegoat for them. 3 years ago we looked miles away from even Donegal after a defeat to Armagh and have improved considerably from then.

There could well be an argument that Harte feels the need to play the system based on the players available. No matter what way you look at it we don't have top class corner backs and top class strong scoring forwards. Other than Colm Cavanagh we lack ball winners as well. I'm not sure any of these players have been available in Tyrone the last few years. So Harte has brought in a system to make use of the countless good running players we have which gives extra protection to the defence and ensures scores from all over the team.

I certainly don't think Harte can escape criticism for Sunday. We played right into Dublin's hands particularly on the kickout's. We did a half press on them which is the worst thing you can do against Dublin. I've no idea how he thought it would work. It meant Dublin always had a free man or two whilst pulling 4 or 5 of our players up the pitch and leaving plenty of space at the back.

I only want Harte to stay on if he is going to alter the system. We have to go back to basics. Players have to become obsessed with winning possession of the ball and move away from marking space. We have to stop inviting the big teams onto us in croke park and hope for turnovers and space to run into. We need to get back to pushing up on kickouts and fighting for possession around the middle.

I'd like to see us almost go back to the tactics of 03. A centre half back who drops back when we don't have the ball to protect the full back line and midfielder who covers in front of him. Half forwards dropping back when we don't have the ball. Other than that operate a much more man for man game were the players have much more individual responsibility and cant hide behind the system.

We need to somehow find two good tight marking corner backs with less focus on them running up the field. Obvious contenders are Brennan, Munroe, Cassidy etc though they all have a lot to prove. We need to find a ball winning midfielder, hopefully McClure can step up in this area. We also need to find a hard working physically strong half forward who can help out round the middle and drop back. I'm not sure if this is the role that best suits Mattie but either way we need to do something to get the best out of him in big games.

Full forward line could be the hardest one to fix. We've lots of similar nice forwards but they all struggle to win their own ball if its kicked in long which would have to be done more often playing a traditional game. I'm not convinced there is a huge number of options outside the current panel that will vastly improve the team in the short term anyway but maybe I'm wrong.

If you cant blame the man who came up with the system and implemented it for 3 years who should we blame. Honestly its the same drivel from you all the time, youre defending the indefensible now. As for not been able to beat Donegal 3 years ago, maybe they have gone backwards and Tyrone have just stayed where they were.

Out of curiosity if you had every player available in Tyrone what would the team you would have started on Sunday been?

Morgan
Hampshey
McNamee
Brennan
Harte
Burns
McCann
Cavanagh
Donnelly
McClure
Sludden
Myler
McAliskey
Cavanagh
R Donnelly

C. Cavanagh in his usual role, Burns holding the middle of the defense, Matty Donnelly with a bit of freedom and the 2 wing half forwards working back, pull R Donnelly out to hold the 11 position and leave 2 men up front at all times.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

redhandefender

Quote from: Up The Middle on August 31, 2017, 02:59:21 PM

Morgan
Hampshey
McNamee
Brennan
Harte
Burns
McCann
Cavanagh
Donnelly
McClure
Sludden
Myler
McAliskey
Cavanagh
R Donnelly

C. Cavanagh in his usual role, Burns holding the middle of the defense, Matty Donnelly with a bit of freedom and the 2 wing half forwards working back, pull R Donnelly out to hold the 11 position and leave 2 men up front at all times.

lol what nonsense

Up The Middle

Quote from: redhandefender on August 31, 2017, 03:29:26 PM

Morgan
Hampshey
McNamee
Brennan
Harte
Burns
McCann
Cavanagh
Donnelly
McClure
Sludden
Myler
McAliskey
Cavanagh
R Donnelly

lol what nonsense

Is it too difficult for you to understand? Never mind school starts again next week.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

The Golden Years

Quote from: redhandefender on August 31, 2017, 09:29:46 AM
some hysterics and nonsense written on this board. I really wonder how many have actually played football. Sunday was disappointing for everyone but the only reason you would get rid of harte would be to have a new voice in the changing room.

I do not see any of the options put forward changing our style dramatically and certainly not to go all out man for man versus a team like the Dubs, they don't even do that. Its like you are buying in to the joe brolly bulls**t train!

We won ulster and made an AI semi. Ok we got annihilated but they will learn a lot. Harte isn't going to walk away and the county won't sack him can you imagine the outcry nation wide.

Harte is doing the best he can with this bunch, probably is time for change but certainly not as a result of telling mickey to f**k off.

That south tyrone/Fermanagh clown has been silent for the last 2 months then the knives are out.

Sunday was a prof side playing an amateur side. The GAA as a whole should be worried

Whats has this got to do with having an opinion?  Are you suggesting if you havent played the game you dont know what you are talking about?   What level have you played to?

tothetop03

Wonder what happened our Conveyor belt off talent,which was heavily talked about 09/10 adding an under 21 title in 2015, in Football terms we have stalled somewhere along the line.... Does the Management need to change i dont know if that would cure our problem short term or not to be honest... We go man v man v Dublin and we prob like most teams in Ireland would have been beat by 20 instead of 12.....

omagh_gael

Redhanddefender, I'll echo GoldenYear's question, what level have you played to that leaves you the Oracle of football tactics? Furthermore, what way would you have set out our stall on Sunday? Easy being the problems guy instead of firing up alternative suggestions.

longballin

Quote from: tothetop03 on August 31, 2017, 06:53:50 PM
Wonder what happened our Conveyor belt off talent,which was heavily talked about 09/10 adding an under 21 title in 2015, in Football terms we have stalled somewhere along the line.... Does the Management need to change i dont know if that would cure our problem short term or not to be honest... We go man v man v Dublin and we prob like most teams in Ireland would have been beat by 20 instead of 12.....

so it was damaged limitation? time to pack it in if that's the attitude...

southtyronegael

heard yesterday we had an ex player in doing shooting practice drills before the dublin game. kerry have maurice fitzgerald doin theirs, dublin have jason sherlock. we have.... mark harte. you couldnt make it up.

randomusername

Quote from: southtyronegael on August 31, 2017, 10:09:28 PM
heard yesterday we had an ex player in doing shooting practice drills before the dublin game. kerry have maurice fitzgerald doin theirs, dublin have jason sherlock. we have.... mark harte. you couldnt make it up.

have you contacted the press about this shocking turn of events?

tiempo

Quote from: southtyronegael on August 31, 2017, 10:09:28 PM

A certain player was entrusted with the free kicks at a point in 2016. During a league game when the result was beyond doubt after a 100% success rate on frees he missed a relatively easy one late in the game. Next night training at Garvaghy none other than Mark Harte and Gavin Devin took him for a personal 2:1 free kick training session after the main session to re-create the missed free kick. Wasn't let off the pitch til kicked 10 in a row. Talk about coaching the enjoyment and instinct out of lads. Drill a hole in ur head that sh1te.

tothetop03

Quote from: longballin on August 31, 2017, 09:49:08 PM
Quote from: tothetop03 on August 31, 2017, 06:53:50 PM

so it was damaged limitation? time to pack it in if that's the attitude...

would had of like we did really have a go at it....we didn't....at no stage did we go for it even at 4/5 behind nothing changed so it was damage limitation....

southtyronegael

what the f**k would gavin devlin know about taking free kicks? since when has mark harte been added to the backroom team? they are like a fuckin cartel.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: southtyronegael on August 31, 2017, 11:38:39 PM
what the f**k would gavin devlin know about taking free kicks? since when has mark harte been added to the backroom team? they are like a fuckin cartel.

How is your new supporters club going?

Redhand Santa

Morgan
Hampshey
McNamee
Brennan
Harte
Burns
McCann
Cavanagh
Donnelly
McClure
Sludden
Myler
McAliskey
Cavanagh
R Donnelly

10 or 11 of them players played on Sunday. Richie Donnelly and McAliskey were injured all year so weren't options. The few other players you have added in have yet to really prove themselves at this level. I can't see how that team lined up would get any closer to Dublin than on Sunday.

People give me grief for defending Harte but I will always support the team no matter who is in charge and will get behind the manager. Now is the time to consider his position not midseason. I'd certainly like to have an idea that the system will be changed and we will go for it a bit more before Harte is reappointed. His backroom team seems geared towards the defensive side of things. Perhaps Harte should stay but a strong number 2 brought in with fresh new attacking ideas.