Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vallankumous

Quote from: longballin on April 06, 2017, 07:31:52 PM

would have been hard not to win an All Ireland with those players

That's more than a little childish.

teaminamillion

Quote from: square_ball on April 07, 2017, 07:53:26 AM
So a team embarrassed in the 4th round of the qualifiers by Sligo were certainly for the all Ireland the following year? Total bullshit and I'd say you know that yourself.
bullshit yourself. Don't tell me what I know and think. Well done Art and Eugene for recognizing Ryan McMenamin as a talent when others didn't.

BennyHarp

Quote from: teaminamillion on April 07, 2017, 07:31:35 AM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on April 07, 2017, 06:51:35 AM
Quote from: tothetop03 on April 06, 2017, 05:41:01 PM
i think the Ridiculing of Harte should ease off... i not a fan...but the man should be given the rest of the championship and i will judge were we are then...he overseen 3 All Ireland wins... I watched Tyrone 70's 80's and 90's and i thought i would never 1 great day in september never mind 3.....so for the time being dont forget the memories and go easier on the present....

Not sure many other men than Mickey Harte would have got Tyrone across the line. There was a great team in the mid-90"s too, no Sam Maguire then.

lets just cast our minds back too 2001 and 2002, the years prior to Mickey Harte getting the Tyrone job. In 2001 Tyrone were playing great football with a young eoin mulligan kicking a big score v the dubs in Parnell park while on course to winning a very first national title and then bang they were put out of the competition because of the foot and mouth crisis. Unreal! Of course they went on to win Ulster and beat Armagh on the way. Having played Derry and beating them already in the Ulster semi final they had too play them again in the All Ireland quarter final which was a bit sickening to say the least and were subsequently defeated by a fired up Derry team. 2002 they won the league for the first time(well done Art/Eugene) playing class football. The Sligo match was a case of taking their eye off the ball. It was right and proper Mickey Harte was afforded the chance to take Tyrone in 2003, but no mistake about it Tyrone were gonna win an All Ireland that year for it didn't matter who was gonna be there!! Mickey stated later on their was not much tactics went into Tyrone, he just trusted the players to go out and do their stuff. Lets not get too carried about the manager please. Tyrone in the 1990s did NOT have a great team. Certainly they had one unbelievable footballer who done the job of a black taxi alright!

All Ireland's don't just happen. No team just wins a championship. If you believe this then seriously you must have literally no experience of competitive sport at any level. And even if your nonsense was correct and maybe, just maybe you win one All Ireland, you definitely don't win three. So make your point about what's happening today, there are plenty who agree, but it's utter nonsense to claim Mickey wasn't a key component in 2003, 2005 and 2008.
That was never a square ball!!

seanmc123

You are wrong again... It was Canavan who got Ricey into the panel back then after roasting him in the club championship.

Your full of shit and sooner you leave the better

longballin

Quote from: vallankumous on April 07, 2017, 08:04:06 AM

Go through the team, was incredible talent... should have won more. They never had a range of players like that before. Watch and see now what happens when Sean Cavanagh leaves... only Mattie and Petie would have made that team 2003 to 2008.

tothetop03

Mickey had build a trust and rapport with most of the key members in the Tyrone panel with county minor and under 21 and his own club, in my humble opinion Art and Eugene would not have an All Ireland with that group as they wanted Mickey to manage them and nobody else the trust at that time was nearly unbreakable....

longballin

Quote from: tothetop03 on April 07, 2017, 08:40:17 AM
Mickey had build a trust and rapport with most of the key members in the Tyrone panel with county minor and under 21 and his own club, in my humble opinion Art and Eugene would not have an All Ireland with that group as they wanted Mickey to manage them and nobody else the trust at that time was nearly unbreakable....

We'll never know but I can't argue there was a great bond players and management there and a huge input Paddy Tally and then Tony Donnelly.. wheels have gone off completely now.

vallankumous

Quote from: longballin on April 07, 2017, 08:38:44 AM

Go through the team, was incredible talent... should have won more. They never had a range of players like that before. Watch and see now what happens when Sean Cavanagh leaves... only Mattie and Petie would have made that team 2003 to 2008.

You make the point that it was hard not to win with those players then point out when they didn't win. What happened? Was it easy to win when they won and difficult when they lost?
I am familiar with the team.
All those players will give Mickey Harte an important place in those wins.
So much so that both winning Captains said it in their speeches.

longballin

Quote from: vallankumous on April 07, 2017, 08:46:14 AM

You make the point that it was hard not to win with those players then point out when they didn't win. What happened? Was it easy to win when they won and difficult when they lost?

Point is it was hard not to win All Irelands with that group of players. Unlikely any team will win seven or eight in a row but you could have rolled that team out of a bag...

BennyHarp

Quote from: longballin on April 07, 2017, 09:05:58 AM
Quote from: vallankumous on April 07, 2017, 08:46:14 AM

Point is it was hard not to win All Irelands with that group of players. Unlikely any team will win seven or eight in a row but you could have rolled that team out of a bag...

To win one is ok, to win three is an amazing achievement. Maintaining desire, motivation, relationships, fitness etc etc (not to mention managing the aftermath of some huge tragedies) over a prolonged period of time is a skill of management that guys like you who just turn up to matches now and again clearly have no idea about. And believe me, if those great players thought Mickey was a bluffer, there's is no way he would have lasted in the job! So clearly you know better than them it would seem.
That was never a square ball!!

teaminamillion

Quote from: seanmc123 on April 07, 2017, 08:35:02 AM
You are wrong again... It was Canavan who got Ricey into the panel back then after roasting him in the club championship.

blah blah blah canavan a selector? What a f**king moron

square_ball

Quote from: teaminamillion on April 07, 2017, 08:29:02 AM
Quote from: square_ball on April 07, 2017, 07:53:26 AM
So a team embarrassed in the 4th round of the qualifiers by Sligo were certainly for the all Ireland the following year? Total bullshit and I'd say you know that yourself.
bullshit yourself. Don't tell me what I know and think. Well done Art and Eugene for recognizing Ryan McMenamin as a talent when others didn't.

You must have made an absolute fortune from the bookies then if you knew these things?

Legoman5

Quote from: teaminamillion on April 07, 2017, 10:15:49 AM
Quote from: seanmc123 on April 07, 2017, 08:35:02 AM

blah blah blah canavan a selector? What a f**king moron
[/quote

This is actually true, most Tyrone Gaels know this story...

vallankumous

Ricey is the only one responsible for making the Tyrone team. He forced his own way onto it. Anyone who had an interest in club football at the time could see he was excelling.

Legoman5

Quote from: vallankumous on April 07, 2017, 10:53:57 AM
Ricey is the only one responsible for making the Tyrone team. He forced his own way onto it. Anyone who had an interest in club football at the time could see he was excelling.

Lots of players where excelling and never got call ups.. The reason Ricey got it was because Canavan went to Harte and advised him to call him up!! Yes he completly justified it and was a great player before and after the call up but who's to say Harte would have called him up!! Many great players down the years and even present havent got a call up