Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

Quote from: skeog on January 25, 2017, 04:27:32 PM
Matty Mc Gleenan is the Cavan manager.For anyone to suggest he is going to replace the current manager is in cloud cuckoo land. He has had success with Scotstown who by a large distance are the best club team in Monaghan.If he guides Cavan to an Ulster title then he could be regarded as a contender in the future but not at the moment.
scotstown hadnt won a county title for over 20 yrs before mc gleenan came along. if he is offered the tyrone job at the end of this season im sure he will grab it. his positivity will the lift the cloud which is hanging over tyrone football at the minute. we need to head hunt him.

In hiding

Quote from: redhandefender on January 25, 2017, 03:53:02 PM
Quote from: In hiding on January 25, 2017, 02:20:42 PM
Quote from: redhandefender on January 25, 2017, 01:41:42 PM
Quote from: In hiding on January 25, 2017, 10:08:17 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on January 25, 2017, 09:54:57 AM
If we are to win things McCurry really isn't the answer.
You are probably correct. Its the way we hpye up Mc Curry, O Neill, Mc Aliskey and the likes, then make them play in a system which gives them very little support and thus obviously affects their confidence, and then quickly dismiss them as bottlers is my gripe. Those three players were brilliant at minor and u21 level, as were/are Bradley and Brennan. The people on here who are raving about Mark Bradley and Lee Brennan are the same people who will be criticising them for not being good enough in 12 months. A little bit of balance would help here
Just before anyone jumps in and says Colm Mc Fadden was able to play that role. There are no forwards in Tyrone at the minute like Colm Mc Fadden

McCurry hyped himself up sticking youtube videos online meaning every other team around wanted him to mess up when it came to it. He has buckled plenty of times over the last few years when it mattered I am not just referring to one shot. You have a gripe with mickey harte. Wise up you clown he is the best man for the job. Who else should replace him and whats your master system for getting an all Ireland?

McCurry is a good player but there are others there deserving of the chance to see if they can go to that elite level.
I don't have a gripe about mickey harte, I have a gripe about clowns like you who can't think for themselves

Completely defer from the point, very good! You yap and yap about the "system" being the problem. Whats your solution? To yap a bit more
People like your good self are so caught up in defending the current management that you don't even bother to try and read posts which may have a different opinion. I did not say that the system was very wrong for the team as a whole but it is wtong if you want effective full forwards.

Il Bomber Destro

McCurry, Brennan, O'Neill, McAliskey and Bradley are all good players. If they were about 10 years ago or more they would have really prospered but in the modern game, forwards of their stature will struggle. All these guys are 5ft10 or under.

Contrast that with the likes of Dublin and the players they have for their inside forwards slots:

Brogan 6ft
Andrews 5ft11
Mannion 6ft2
Costello 6ft
Connolly 6ft2
O'Gara 6ft1
McManamon 5ft11

You can talk about being more direct and ensuring the forwards get more time and space on the ball but that's not going to be effective when your forwards are only really comfortable winning it one way. Sweepers will cut out low ball so you're reliant on going over them and our lads are not going to win much in the air, unfortunately we don't seem to have a natural option here to use as a target man.

Cavanagh has more influence further out, Harte doesn't fancy McKenna for it and the other lads put forward for the job aren't natural forwards. Outside of the squad, who is an option? McNulty? Maybe but he's not there. Coney? Had plenty of chances just doesn't have the right mentality to succeed at county level.

I think McCurry and Bradley should start the league for us inside. They seem to be the two form men at present. People tend to forget McCurry is still only 23. I wouldn't write him off, we have good depth with those lads, the problem is that they are all too much like for like players.

southtyronegael

where is conan grugan? big tall fella and full of football. could do a job in full forward too.

Tyroneforsam

Quote from: southtyronegael on January 25, 2017, 09:37:44 PM
where is conan grugan? big tall fella and full of football. could do a job in full forward too.

Had his chance and didn't show enough to suggest he could make it at inter county level. Like it or not, there are no other options out there other than the men that are currently on the senior panel!

Man Marker

Dan Mc Nulty is an option not explored. 6ft 2" with power. One poster talked about how Hampsey marked him out of it when Coalisland played in the championship semi final. They broke even in the first game Mc Nulty played the replay sick and Hampsey definitely got the better of him. They neglected to mention he absolutely destroyed Justin Mc Mahon in both games , a player who major big game experience and has successfully marked Micheal Murphy in senior championship, he also easily got the better of  Carrickmore full back. He offers us a ball winning physical presence who is a proven free taker under immense pressure. Maybe next year.

Jeremiah O

Had Justin McMahon been fully fit for the Clonoe games I don't think Dan would have done much damage.
Unconquered and unconquerable

Legoman5

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 25, 2017, 06:17:07 PM
McCurry, Brennan, O'Neill, McAliskey and Bradley are all good players. If they were about 10 years ago or more they would have really prospered but in the modern game, forwards of their stature will struggle. All these guys are 5ft10 or under.

Contrast that with the likes of Dublin and the players they have for their inside forwards slots:

Brogan 6ft
Andrews 5ft11
Mannion 6ft2
Costello 6ft
Connolly 6ft2
O'Gara 6ft1
McManamon 5ft11

You can talk about being more direct and ensuring the forwards get more time and space on the ball but that's not going to be effective when your forwards are only really comfortable winning it one way. Sweepers will cut out low ball so you're reliant on going over them and our lads are not going to win much in the air, unfortunately we don't seem to have a natural option here to use as a target man.

Cavanagh has more influence further out, Harte doesn't fancy McKenna for it and the other lads put forward for the job aren't natural forwards. Outside of the squad, who is an option? McNulty? Maybe but he's not there. Coney? Had plenty of chances just doesn't have the right mentality to succeed at county level.

I think McCurry and Bradley should start the league for us inside. They seem to be the two form men at present. People tend to forget McCurry is still only 23. I wouldn't write him off, we have good depth with those lads, the problem is that they are all too much like for like players.

Hard to forget McCurry is only 23, been about for so long so still time to step up and make a big impression in hi County career!!
Brennan also very young but imo its going to take a lot of time for him to step up, what he needs is a year or 2 without County footballs and just concentrate on hard graft club football everyweek! Didnt Matty Donnelly do the same and look how much he came on! Niall Sludden another prime example of a man who concentrated on club football and when the time was right he walked straight into the senior team because he was ready for it!

Fuzzman

Were any of yis at the Mickey Harte event in Omagh talking to Paddy Hunter last night?
Any interesting points made or news.
Was the topic about free taking brought up and how much more important free taking now is with so much more scores coming from frees because of mass defence?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Man Marker on January 25, 2017, 11:12:48 PM
Dan Mc Nulty is an option not explored. 6ft 2" with power. One poster talked about how Hampsey marked him out of it when Coalisland played in the championship semi final. They broke even in the first game Mc Nulty played the replay sick and Hampsey definitely got the better of him. They neglected to mention he absolutely destroyed Justin Mc Mahon in both games , a player who major big game experience and has successfully marked Micheal Murphy in senior championship, he also easily got the better of  Carrickmore full back. He offers us a ball winning physical presence who is a proven free taker under immense pressure. Maybe next year.

Long questioned why McNulty hasn't at least been called into the panel - I know he suffered with a back problem for a long time but is there another target man like him playing in Tyrone currently? Its a strange one.

Wee Roddy

Quote from: Jeremiah O on January 26, 2017, 08:55:29 AM
Had Justin McMahon been fully fit for the Clonoe games I don't think Dan would have done much damage.
I would question if he got the better of the Carrickmore full back or not. He scored a goal at the end because Carrickmore's goalie and full back both thought the other was going to contest the ball. Our full back was Kieran McCartan who was playing his 2nd game in nearly two years because of injury. I don't think Dan destroyed Justy either but I could be incorrect in this.

redhandefender

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 26, 2017, 11:14:58 AM

Long questioned why McNulty hasn't at least been called into the panel - I know he suffered with a back problem for a long time but is there another target man like him playing in Tyrone currently? Its a strange one.

Maybe because he doesn't want to

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: redhandefender on January 26, 2017, 12:38:12 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 26, 2017, 11:14:58 AM

Maybe because he doesn't want to

Not my understanding. Although the brother had a bit of a fall out with Harte, so that likely won't have helped the cause.

leenie

Anyone in the know .... know anything regarding youth fixtures?
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

WT4E

Has Tyrone minor squad been picked yet? What are their chances this year?