Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: Cheltenham Fun on September 22, 2016, 10:19:08 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on September 22, 2016, 10:08:59 AM
Quote from: ose 14 on September 21, 2016, 09:12:25 PM
id imagine ruairi keenan is as quick as aidan o shea whom he did a decent job on in 08. he looks in pretty good shape to me and looks as quick as our current midfield combatants. big mcclure is a decent player as well. hampsey must start at FB id love to see munroe at corner back and stick with dirk in the corner only because of his experience compared to those two.
Did O'Shea not play at CHF with PH on him in 08?

I was thinking that myself but didn't want to say incase my memory was starting to let me down.   ;D
I wasn't at the replay but my memory from the original match was that O'Shea was not too hot at tracking back and PH was getting a lot of space. I think he eventually moved to WHF where he had a bit more joy.

ose 14

playing at a higher level should improve you you would think. but a lot of clubs with players in the squad and not making the team would beg to differ. tyrones slavery to the system and in house games do not improve the squad men. it takes at least 8 weeks to get county players deprogrammed from running backwards and passing the ball sideways (and to get the sound of hoss out of their heads). tyrones fullbacks are that poor they make skeet oneill and mcshane look worldbeaters in the famous inhouse games. niall sludden is the exception he has actually improved tyrone not the other way round.

ose 14

dont think a study is required when your dealing with the supernatural. ;D

Club boi

Quote from: ose 14 on September 22, 2016, 02:10:21 PM
playing at a higher level should improve you you would think. but a lot of clubs with players in the squad and not making the team would beg to differ. tyrones slavery to the system and in house games do not improve the squad men. it takes at least 8 weeks to get county players deprogrammed from running backwards and passing the ball sideways (and to get the sound of hoss out of their heads). tyrones fullbacks are that poor they make skeet oneill and mcshane look worldbeaters in the famous inhouse games. niall sludden is the exception he has actually improved tyrone not the other way round.

Biggest problem is Club players being played out of position for the County and being slated when it doesn't work out - Chance gone and so they become a "Squad" player. Many Decent Club players have been held back by being sent this route, also destroying a players confidence

redzone

Quote from: Club boi on September 22, 2016, 06:02:35 PM
Quote from: ose 14 on September 22, 2016, 02:10:21 PM

Biggest problem is Club players being played out of position for the County and being slated when it doesn't work out - Chance gone and so they become a "Squad" player. Many Decent Club players have been held back by being sent this route, also destroying a players confidence

Any examples of this

southtyronegael

good example of this was when conan grugan played a fair few mc kenna cup/league games in chf then come the big championship game against monaghan in clones he was threw into midfield against darrren hughes and dick clerkin. didnt go well and wasnt seen since,2014 think it was.

redzone

Quote from: southtyronegael on September 22, 2016, 11:09:13 PM
good example of this was when conan grugan played a fair few mc kenna cup/league games in chf then come the big championship game against monaghan in clones he was threw into midfield against darrren hughes and dick clerkin. didnt go well and wasnt seen since,2014 think it was.

I get what u are saying about grugan but I'd a thought midfield was his natural position. Anyway he walked from the panel himself, prob knew it wasn't for him. Good players can play anywhere. One dimensional players won't cut it at senior inter county level. Monroe, mcgeary Brennan are a few that can play different positions. U have to patient and keep ure head down and take your chance when it comes. I still chuckle at the Clonoe players who walked that time. Stinking attitude.

For the record sparkly Donnelly got a raw deal the time he was dropped. He was Tyrones best player one year but maybe Harte had his reasons, I'm not sure.

That's the nature of county football, your needed one day but there's always somebody else willing to take your jersey the next

In hiding

Quote from: redzone on September 22, 2016, 11:32:38 PM

I get what u are saying about grugan but I'd a thought midfield was his natural position. Anyway he walked from the panel himself, prob knew it wasn't for him. Good players can play anywhere. One dimensional players won't cut it at senior inter county level. Monroe, mcgeary Brennan are a few that can play different positions. U have to patient and keep ure head down and take your chance when it comes. I still chuckle at the Clonoe players who walked that time. Stinking attitude.

For the record sparkly Donnelly got a raw deal the time he was dropped. He was Tyrones best player one year but maybe Harte had his reasons, I'm not sure.

That's the nature of county football, your needed one day but there's always somebody else willing to take your jersey the next
This opinion is incredibly arrogant. Here we have people criticising players for walking away from the county set up while praising those who hang about just to make up the numbers. I don't believe Kieran Mc Geary Rory Brennan or Johnny Munroe are better players than Conan Grugan but because he has decided that he needed time away to try to become a better player and needed regular competitive football he is being criticised. Is Conan Grugan better than Paudi Mc Nulty, Kieran Mc Geary, Aiden Mc Crory Richie Donnelly Barry Tierney... some will say he is others will say he isn't, just as Ardboe are glad Shay mc guigan and Coney left ,Eglish are glad the Mc Kennas left, Omagh are glad Conan Grugan left a set up which he obviously wasn't in love with to become club captain. Just because someone is on the county panel does not make them a better player than someone not on the county panel. Its all about opinions... Is Mc Curry better than Leo Meenan in 2012 or Eoin Mc Cusker in 2012. While you have your wee chuckle at the clonoe players who walked do you believe PJ Lavery or Collie Doris aren't county standard. Tyrone need every player of that level available for selection. Would it be possible that some of this may be Mickey Hartes fault

A wise man once told me anyone can manage a committed player but only the great managers can bring the talented less committed players along with the rest, is mickey too arrogant to try to bring everyone with him or is he right...
I feel like Fuzzman asking all these silly questions 

ose 14

in hiding some great points. if you take that one step further the chosen few at underage level are committed by association by being picked, the ones that are dropped are not. Not good enough apparently. kerry have 120 in their underage dev squads tyrone 35ish are we better at picking the select 40 earlier than the kerry men, id doubt it. we are wasting too much doe at the top of the pyramid. football remains a very subjective selector and it shouldnt be. garvaghey is turning into waco. siege mentality, were the chosen ones , hoping for the second coming of sam. total fiction.

Onthe40

Quote from: In hiding on September 22, 2016, 11:57:27 PM

This opinion is incredibly arrogant. Here we have people criticising players for walking away from the county set up while praising those who hang about just to make up the numbers. I don't believe Kieran Mc Geary Rory Brennan or Johnny Munroe are better players than Conan Grugan but because he has decided that he needed time away to try to become a better player and needed regular competitive football he is being criticised. Is Conan Grugan better than Paudi Mc Nulty, Kieran Mc Geary, Aiden Mc Crory Richie Donnelly Barry Tierney... some will say he is others will say he isn't, just as Ardboe are glad Shay mc guigan and Coney left ,Eglish are glad the Mc Kennas left, Omagh are glad Conan Grugan left a set up which he obviously wasn't in love with to become club captain. Just because someone is on the county panel does not make them a better player than someone not on the county panel. Its all about opinions... Is Mc Curry better than Leo Meenan in 2012 or Eoin Mc Cusker in 2012. While you have your wee chuckle at the clonoe players who walked do you believe PJ Lavery or Collie Doris aren't county standard. Tyrone need every player of that level available for selection. Would it be possible that some of this may be Mickey Hartes fault

A wise man once told me anyone can manage a committed player but only the great managers can bring the talented less committed players along with the rest, is mickey too arrogant to try to bring everyone with him or is he right...

so would you say Conan Grugans decision to leave the county squad was vindicated? Not going by what I saw on 2 consecutive sundays in Dungannon a few weeks back...he looked a pale shadow of the player he seemed to be developing into, a few years ago...

In hiding

Conan Grugan did alright against clonoe, it wasn't one of his best performances. Johnny Munroe had a stinker against Greencastle,  doesn't make him a bad player. How have the current county starters and panellists done for their clubs this year. Paudi mc nulty, aiden mc crory, Richie donnelly, mc aliskey among others. Very easy to right someone off on the basis of one performance. Do you feel Barry Tierney has improved as a footballer sitting on the county bench for the past 3 years

Club boi

Quote from: In hiding on September 23, 2016, 11:54:13 AM
Conan Grugan did alright against clonoe, it wasn't one of his best performances. Johnny Munroe had a stinker against Greencastle,  doesn't make him a bad player. How have the current county starters and panellists done for their clubs this year. Paudi mc nulty, aiden mc crory, Richie donnelly, mc aliskey among others. Very easy to right someone off on the basis of one performance. Do you feel Barry Tierney has improved as a footballer sitting on the county bench for the past 3 years

Prime example. Barry Tierney was incredible at CHB for Omagh and nearly single handed Won Omagh their championship that year with his Goals from running from deep. Que MH an Tyrone, play him in Corner Back against O'Donaghue and he gets toasted and ripped apart for his performance in a position he wasn't used to

The Big fella from Dungannon got his call up for his out an out Full Forward performances. Was he played here or expected to chase back in Half Forward?? Same with Conlon Edendork

jcarter

Rory loughran (bubba) from carrickmore certainly worth a run out in my opinion?

WT4E

Had a converstaion recently with a few people -  whose the better player Barry Tierney or Aidan McCrory? I thought Tierney offers far more but was surprised to here arguments for McCrory but when we trashed it out the main reasons these 'pundits' didn't fancy tierney was the roasting o'donaghue gave him in the national league a few years back.

Mickey left him on him the whole day that day when it would have been the right thing to switch him - now Mickey has left him on the scrap heap - I still think he's capable for Tyrone and way better then mccrory.

leenie

Quote from: In hiding on September 22, 2016, 11:57:27 PM

Good/interesting post

Quote from: ose 14 on September 23, 2016, 07:09:01 AM
in hiding some great points. if you take that one step further the chosen few at underage level are committed by association by being picked, the ones that are dropped are not. Not good enough apparently. kerry have 120 in their underage dev squads tyrone 35ish are we better at picking the select 40 earlier than the kerry men, id doubt it. we are wasting too much doe at the top of the pyramid. football remains a very subjective selector and it shouldnt be. garvaghey is turning into waco. siege mentality, were the chosen ones , hoping for the second coming of sam. total fiction.

;D ;D ;D ;D   Waco , #ackward laugh
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..