Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: general_lee on March 29, 2016, 12:50:03 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 27, 2016, 10:44:59 AM
This doesn't look good for McCarron. Time to cut our losses on him?

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/news/tyrone-star-quizzed-over-girl-15
seems the Sunday World have removed this? All lies?

I can't believe that people still buy that muck of a paper.
That was never a square ball!!

general_lee

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 29, 2016, 02:10:53 PM
Quote from: general_lee on March 29, 2016, 12:50:03 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 27, 2016, 10:44:59 AM
This doesn't look good for McCarron. Time to cut our losses on him?

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/news/tyrone-star-quizzed-over-girl-15
seems the Sunday World have removed this? All lies?

I can't believe that people still buy that muck of a paper.
Neither do I but you'd think they're gonna print something so damning on an individual they might actually stand by what they claim

Under Lights

Anyone got the team and scorers from last night?  :-*

WT4E

TYRONE 1-15  DONEGAL 2-8

Tyrone's defence of their Ulster and All-Ireland Under-21 titles remains on course despite a big scare against Donegal in an action-packed semi-final at Celtic Park.

Ryan Coleman's goal sent Tyrone on their way, but Donegal will reflect and wonder just how they didn't have their tickets stamped for a fourth successive provincial decider at this level.

Tyrone goaled in the 38th minute. A shot from Mark Kavanagh careered off the upright, but fell neatly for Coleman, who smashed an effort into the top corner of the Donegal net.

Donegal's response was instant and Conor Doherty shot low to the Tyrone net, but Tyrone hit back and landed seven-in-a-row, including a sideline kick from Lee Brennan.

Donegal had seen Sean Fox, the Tyrone goalkeeper deny Stephen McBrearty and Jamie Brennan with good saves, but Donegal were reflecting on how they weren't more than 0-6 to 0-4 ahead at the break.

While McBrearty netted a penalty late in the night for Donegal, the damage had been done – and, agonisingly for them, it was largely of their own doing.

Donegal kicked six wides in the first half and were made pay as Brennan and Cathal McShane led the Tyrone fightback.

Although goalkeeper Fox was black carded before McBrearty netted the penalty, Tyrone reeled off the scores to give them the win. Donegal finished with 13 men as Stephen McMenamin and Bruce Waldron were sent off.

Scorers for Tyrone: R Coleman 1-2, L Brennan 0-5 (3fs) M Kavanagh, C McShane (1f) 0-2 each, S O'Donnell, S Loughran, F Burns, S Fox 0-1 each.

Scorers for Donegal: S McBrearty 1-5 (1-0pen, 3fs), C Doherty 1-0, C O'Donnell, C Bonner 0-1, C Thompson (f) each

Donegal: D Rodgers; C Morrison, K Gillespie, J O'Brien; S McMenamin, E McGrath, A McClean; C O'Donnell, C Thompson; C Bonner, E Gallagher, S McBrearty; J Brennan, C McGonagle, M Carroll.

Subs: C Doherty for Brennan (32), M Coyle for Bonner (40), B Waldron for McGonagle (black card, 42), C Mulligan for McClean (46), A Neely for O'Donnell (54), Jack Scally for O'Brien (58).

Tyrone: S Fox; C McCann, P Teague, S Hamill; C Byrne, S Loughran, M O'Neill; C McShane, B McDonnell; M Kavanagh, F Burns, D Mulgrew; L Brennan, R Coleman, S Fox.

Subs: M McKernan for Teague (15), J Harkin for McDonnell (black card, 17), R McGlone for O'Neill (50), for McShane (54), S O'Donnell for Kavanagh (58) R McGeary for Fox (black card, 60).

Referee: B Cassidy (Derry).

bigpackiechestout

Well lads, now the 7 initial league games are done and dusted,  what's the verdict? Can we discount the most recent two results on the basis that we'd already qualified?

Whilst we seemed comfortable enough in most games, bearing in mind these were all Div 2 teams, I'd be slightly concerned we didn't really really blow anybody away bar Derry.

I'd also be a bit concerned that nobody has emerged as a really consistent prolific scorer. Would've expecited to see at least one of O'Neill, Skeet, Mccurry or Cavanagh put up a few big tallies. From what I can remember O'Neills 1-2 from play v Meath was the biggest scored from play from any of those lads and Mccurry in particular seems to be struggling for form. Maybe the way we play doesn't lend itself to consistently big tallies from one particular forward but if these are all the scores we can manage v Div 2 sides id be a wee bit worried about what would happen against the likes of Donegal/ Kerry etc

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on April 03, 2016, 07:23:19 PM
Well lads, now the 7 initial league games are done and dusted,  what's the verdict? Can we discount the most recent two results on the basis that we'd already qualified?

Whilst we seemed comfortable enough in most games, bearing in mind these were all Div 2 teams, I'd be slightly concerned we didn't really really blow anybody away bar Derry.

I'd also be a bit concerned that nobody has emerged as a really consistent prolific scorer. Would've expecited to see at least one of O'Neill, Skeet, Mccurry or Cavanagh put up a few big tallies. From what I can remember O'Neills 1-2 from play v Meath was the biggest scored from play from any of those lads and Mccurry in particular seems to be struggling for form. Maybe the way we play doesn't lend itself to consistently big tallies from one particular forward but if these are all the scores we can manage v Div 2 sides id be a wee bit worried about what would happen against the likes of Donegal/ Kerry etc

I'm worried about our killer touch in front of goals. We pass up too many goal chances. McCurry has struggled but good to see O'Neill doing well. We have been very comfortable in some games but failed to maje our dominance count and had nervy endings to a few games.

Free taking would still be a worry from 35 to 45 yard range. Don't seem to have found the answer yet anyway. Big plus has been how some of the new faces of this year and last have equipped themselves abd really kicked on, Richie Donnelly in particular.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 03, 2016, 07:59:40 PM
Quote from: bigpackiechestout on April 03, 2016, 07:23:19 PM

I'm worried about our killer touch in front of goals. We pass up too many goal chances. McCurry has struggled but good to see O'Neill doing well. We have been very comfortable in some games but failed to maje our dominance count and had nervy endings to a few games.

Free taking would still be a worry from 35 to 45 yard range. Don't seem to have found the answer yet anyway. Big plus has been how some of the new faces of this year and last have equipped themselves abd really kicked on, Richie Donnelly in particular.

Yeah agreed. Richie's been impressive and I'd say, barring injury, he's nailed down to start v Derry considering how well he's played both times he's faced them so far this year. Niall sudden has been great considering its his first year,  Rory Brennan has kicked on and Tiernan Mccann seems to be developing into a really key player and a leader. Happy with how we're shaping up at the minute bar the full forward line really

GaelTheGael

Monaghan relieved Tyrone of the Ulster U21 title with a brilliant 0-13 to 0-11 victory secured in swirling wind and pouring rain at the Athletic Grounds.

Disappointing result last night for the lads. Personally i felt they didnt take enough advantage of their dominance in the first half and only going in a point up was not reflective of their excellent first half performance. Defensively Tyrone gave away some soft free kicks which kept Monaghan in touch. Was disappointed by the performance of the bigger players on the team - Burns, McShane, Mulgrew and Kavanagh.
Was impressed with a Hamill and McKernan in the full back line and by Fox and Brennan in the forward line. Brennan is something special, the sideline point was spectacular, but unfortunately was the only scoring threat tyrone carried.

GlenMan

Quote from: GaelTheGael on April 07, 2016, 11:56:41 AM
Monaghan relieved Tyrone of the Ulster U21 title with a brilliant 0-13 to 0-11 victory secured in swirling wind and pouring rain at the Athletic Grounds.

Disappointing result last night for the lads. Personally i felt they didnt take enough advantage of their dominance in the first half and only going in a point up was not reflective of their excellent first half performance. Defensively Tyrone gave away some soft free kicks which kept Monaghan in touch. Was disappointed by the performance of the bigger players on the team - Burns, McShane, Mulgrew and Kavanagh.
Was impressed with a Hamill and McKernan in the full back line and by Fox and Brennan in the forward line. Brennan is something special, the sideline point was spectacular, but unfortunately was the only scoring threat tyrone carried.

And Sean Fox's kickouts were truly awful. He gave away 4 or 5 points.

skeog

sean was the reason tyrone were in the final so dont be to critical of him conditions were against his kickouts for 45 mins as wind changed

Tommo2

I think its very short sighted to say Fox was to blame. The short kickout strategy was obviously the tactic the management wanted to use. If he had kicked it long, they may not have won any kickouts as the Monaghan team looked physically stronger than Tyrone. Fox has been key to many victories in the past with his kickouts and in any case, the short kickout only works, if the outfield players show for the ball and create space.

I would have to question the decision making of some of the forwards, shooting from impossible angles and distances. Being greedy and not taking the right option for the team. The big players didn't perform with the exception of Lee Brennan. Fair play to Dinky! Not easy to come up against your own county, but he made sure that Frank Burns had a limited impact on the game.

GlenMan

Quote from: Tommo2 on April 07, 2016, 01:48:10 PM
I think its very short sighted to say Fox was to blame. The short kickout strategy was obviously the tactic the management wanted to use. If he had kicked it long, they may not have won any kickouts as the Monaghan team looked physically stronger than Tyrone. Fox has been key to many victories in the past with his kickouts and in any case, the short kickout only works, if the outfield players show for the ball and create space.

I would have to question the decision making of some of the forwards, shooting from impossible angles and distances. Being greedy and not taking the right option for the team. The big players didn't perform with the exception of Lee Brennan. Fair play to Dinky! Not easy to come up against your own county, but he made sure that Frank Burns had a limited impact on the game.

I'm not blaming Sean Fox. I'm saying his kickouts were poor. That may have contributed to the defeat but certainly wasn't the only reason. Tyrone were very poor up front. The high ball in didn't work and they struggled to break down the Monaghan defence.

Dire Ear

Game was lost on the line , very simple

GaelTheGael

Dire Ear

Holding back Burns and McShane from driving forward , not taking off certain players in 1st half, persisting with short kickouts when everyone could see Monaghan were going man to man, not lining out when told to by ref at very start, dropping players back far too deep,   .  But thats just how I saw it