Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nifan

Quote from: stew on September 09, 2009, 09:57:22 PM
Bit disappointed at the way McGinn was treated, he seemed to come in for a fair bit of stick from the supporters there near the end.

Have to disagree - McGinn was very well received, particularly due to his willingness to run with the ball( and hitting the crossbar - though if had went in it would have been a complete fluke). There was actually a bit of expectation when he got on the ball.

Dunno what you heard tyroneman, but i dont think it was for McGinn - Id assume it was one of the several times that a slovakia player hit the deck feigning injury when we had the ball.
That happened several times and got booed strongly.

nifan

Quote from: Main Street on September 10, 2009, 01:06:42 AM
Slovakia were all set up for a draw and would have been happy if it ended like that.

Not sure - they attacked well down the wings. Man of the match was probably their 19 year old winger - Weiss - who looks like a tricky little player.

Doogie Browser

McGinn needs to leave Celtic in January as I can't see him getting much game time, its obvious he has talent but if he does not get a platform he will go stale, look at Healy now, lack of first team games is really showing.

saffron sam2

Surprisingly disappointed for the good guys who post here by both the result and the performance.

Still every cloud has a silver lining and they will no doubted be heartened that the hard liners had another chance to belt out GSTQ and equally to learn that Linfield are now roughly £150K the richer. Certainly softens the blow of the result.

Besides, Cape Town is hardly Millisle.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

deiseach

Quote from: Clown on September 10, 2009, 09:27:35 AM
surely its time the BBC retired Jackie Fullarton

I don't listen to Jackie enough to make an informed judgement, but I find his knack of trying to be objective rather endearing. At the end of the Poland game he wondered whether it was biased to wish for the final whistle. Every other commentator shamelessly cheerleads for the national team. Nice to see someone being the ant-Clive Tyldesley

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Paddy Keilty on news yesterday, "yes I've got my ticket for South Africa" - which boys in green though Paddy?  ;)
Tbc....

NAG1

Quote from: deiseach on September 10, 2009, 11:12:34 AM

I don't listen to Jackie enough to make an informed judgement, but I find his knack of trying to be objective rather endearing. At the end of the Poland game he wondered whether it was biased to wish for the final whistle. Every other commentator shamelessly cheerleads for the national team. Nice to see someone being the ant-Clive Tyldesley

Are you wise? There is no more biased commentator in any sport on any TV channel than Jackie. He is unreal and so sickly its disgusting.

Orior

That's a perfect description for Jackie. Unlike others in the media, I dont think he takes himself too seriously.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Doogie Browser

Jackie is alright FFS, he is a cheesy commentator, Jackie 'full of himself' they used to call him.

nifan

He doesnt take himself too seriously, but hes brutal to listen to.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: NAG1 on September 10, 2009, 11:26:17 AM

Are you wise? There is no more biased commentator in any sport on any TV channel than Jackie. He is unreal and so sickly its disgusting.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Stephen Watson.......

The eejit creams himself around NW200 and Milk Cup times.
Tbc....

Main Street

Hard to tell just watching highlights of the game.
I thought the managers comments in the post match interview were poor standard.
Blame everything like  pitch, ref or luck is normal enough but blaming players is just not on in the context of a group campaign which was temporarily but honourably rescued from the ashes.

Going into the game, NI had a weakened team.
They needed a win against a better team.
In theory maybe Worthington could have had a better game plan and paced a more cautious approach and pounced in the last 30 mins when the Slovaks might be more focussed on holding out for the draw.

stew

Quote from: tyroneman on September 10, 2009, 09:24:23 AM
I tuned in around the 70 min mark and, whatever the reason, you could clearly hear boos when mcginn got the ball out on the touchline. Only heard them once but clear as a bell.

Thats what i hear and what i saw, i had the game recorded, what i didnt realize was that there was a slovak player on the ground wasting time and obviously not injured, I have to give the benefit of the doubt to the norths fans because McGinn had the ball but yer man was acting the maggot and since tey applauded him on to the field it is a reasonable assumption that they were booing the offending slovak player.

It's not as if they dont have a history of giving celtic players stick mind you but in this case I think i was wrong.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stiffler

Quote from: stiffler on September 09, 2009, 11:13:18 PM
Quote from: Orior on September 09, 2009, 11:12:12 PM
Which 6 county players would get on the Ireland team?

Davis.
Any others?

Jonny Evans would start.

Brunt, Hughes and Lafferty would make the squad.

Forgot about George McCartney who would be a definite starter. (although hes injured at the minute).
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

long sleves

Seen on teletext this morning that Celtic winger Niall McGinn will be handed a starting place tonight.