TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 28, 2021, 10:36:06 AM
Just starting my second self isolation period. Any good recommendations?? Is the Clarkson farm one any use?

I really enjoyed the Clarkson show. I don't know how he could be bothered starting to farm at his age. The Amazon deal must have paid well!

Milltown Row2

Just starting my second self isolation period. Any good recommendations?? Is the Clarkson farm one any use?

Pinged or covid yourself?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lurganblue

City on a Hill. I have 2 left to watch in the series.  What a performance from Kevin Bacon.

Kidder81

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 13, 2021, 01:00:10 PM
The Netflix documentary didn't seem to imply that her initial testimony was made up.  That is the main piece of evidence that made me feel it was Bailey - if that didn't happen, then there is nothing really.

Was Bailey burning all his clothes and boots in his back garden not a bit strange ?

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Kidder81 on July 28, 2021, 11:30:54 AM
The Netflix documentary didn't seem to imply that her initial testimony was made up.  That is the main piece of evidence that made me feel it was Bailey - if that didn't happen, then there is nothing really.

Was Bailey burning all his clothes and boots in his back garden not a bit strange ?

There was a lot strange about him and the whole case. Either he was guilty or he was mentally disturbed enough to put himself in the story front and centre.

Jeepers Creepers

My view is that he's intentionally put himself into a story he's spent his whole life trying to write.

Man Marker

I have really enjoyed watching Bosch on Prime, started season 7 this week. Excellent show.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on July 28, 2021, 12:15:04 PM
My view is that he's intentionally put himself into a story he's spent his whole life trying to write.
I tend to agree. I really felt for the woman's family in the whole thing and that bollox walking round milking the story didn't help anything. If anything he got in the way of the investigation.

RedHand88

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 28, 2021, 11:07:54 AM

Pinged or covid yourself?

Household member/ close contact has tested positive on PCR. This was after 4 lateral flows across 2 days, only 1 of which was positive.
I have a PCR this afternoon.

Hound

The Sky and Netflix documentaries both seemed fair and impartial if you just watched one, but having watched both I realised they are both biased (Sky/Sheridan for Bailey and Netflix against Bailey). Not hugely biased, just enough to persuade the viewer to lean one way or the other.

The main difference was the Marie Farrell testimony. With Sky, they very much implied the first statement was the lie and the retraction was the truth. Netflix the exact opposite.

Personally I believed Marie Farrell on Sky when she said she was bullied by the cops. She initially said the guy standing across from the shop trailling Sophie was 5'8 and the guards made her change the story. Bailey is 6'2 or 6'3 and couldn't really be mistaken for 5'8. Also the location (the bridge) where Farrell spotted the person on the night, was the opposite direction to where Bailey would have been if travelling from Sophie's to his own house.

The burning of the clothes is a big piece of circumstantial evidence against Bailey. It was dealt with very quickly on Sky, with Bailey saying that it happened at least a week prior to the murder. Whereas Netflix had an eye witness say it happened the day after.

The cops never finding the other passenger in Marie Farrell's car, and in particular, not taking photos of Bailey's injuries/scratches (they drew a picture!) was bordering on unbelievable, even though it's clearly factual!

Netflix (and the French courts) treating as truth the statement from Sophie's friend saying that in the lead up to the French trial, 24 years after the murder, that she suddenly remembered that Sophie called her the day before the murder and expressed concern about an English poet, was the biggest piece of nonsense of either show.

Bailey definitely slimebag, even if he didnt do it. The main guard is a slimebag too! And Sophie's hubby! Sophie's parents and son went through absolute hell and dealt with things with pure dignity. They are the three I have most sympathy with.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Hound on July 28, 2021, 03:27:58 PM

The Sky and Netflix documentaries both seemed fair and impartial if you just watched one, but having watched both I realised they are both biased (Sky/Sheridan for Bailey and Netflix against Bailey). Not hugely biased, just enough to persuade the viewer to lean one way or the other.

The main difference was the Marie Farrell testimony. With Sky, they very much implied the first statement was the lie and the retraction was the truth. Netflix the exact opposite.

Personally I believed Marie Farrell on Sky when she said she was bullied by the cops. She initially said the guy standing across from the shop trailling Sophie was 5'8 and the guards made her change the story. Bailey is 6'2 or 6'3 and couldn't really be mistaken for 5'8. Also the location (the bridge) where Farrell spotted the person on the night, was the opposite direction to where Bailey would have been if travelling from Sophie's to his own house.

The burning of the clothes is a big piece of circumstantial evidence against Bailey. It was dealt with very quickly on Sky, with Bailey saying that it happened at least a week prior to the murder. Whereas Netflix had an eye witness say it happened the day after.

The cops never finding the other passenger in Marie Farrell's car, and in particular, not taking photos of Bailey's injuries/scratches (they drew a picture!) was bordering on unbelievable, even though it's clearly factual!

Netflix (and the French courts) treating as truth the statement from Sophie's friend saying that in the lead up to the French trial, 24 years after the murder, that she suddenly remembered that Sophie called her the day before the murder and expressed concern about an English poet, was the biggest piece of nonsense of either show.

Bailey definitely slimebag, even if he didnt do it. The main guard is a slimebag too! And Sophie's hubby! Sophie's parents and son went through absolute hell and dealt with things with pure dignity. They are the three I have most sympathy with.
The "West Cork" podcast series  is really worth a listen,  its very balanced and goes into a lot of detail

Tony Baloney

Absolutely. Well worth watching. There is some contrived nonsense that you'd see in Top Gear but it has done well because it shows a real insight into a lot of the issues farmers face. Would recommend it to anyone.

gallsman

The White Lotus is elite tier comedy from HBO.

Rudi

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 22, 2021, 05:27:28 PM
Quote from: Franko on June 22, 2021, 02:10:51 PM
The Jeremy Clarkson farming thing on prime is very good.
It is. Watched first episode last night and thought it was excellent. From the reviews I've read it seems to be going down well with farmers and non-farmers

Excellent show & that's from a fella who spent many a happy day / night working on a farm. No money in it but plenty of real life friends & happiness. The weather makes or breaks you at times. Hard to beat the care free feeling of driving down a field in a cabless Massey, sun on your back.

Milltown Row2

Any Stranger things fans? Started watching it last month, finished it yesterday, if you are into that stuff and the 80's music along with some of the nerdy stuff of the 80's you'll enjoy this
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea