Galway v Mayo, Preliminary Quarter-Final, Pearse Stadium 3pm Sunday

Started by An Fhairche Abu, June 20, 2023, 01:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Big loss for Galway, had the best panel of players, but even with that, injuries caught up with them. Mayo blow very hot and cold.

OakLeaf

Exciting game. Lots of mistakes but that Mayo goal was a brilliant move. Mayo probably just about deserved it. Kelly and Comer at half fitness was too much to overcome.

Gael85

An Enjoyable game. Well done to Mayo and refereed excellently by Sean Hurson.

thewobbler

Mad game of football.

Galway similar to Roscommon yesterday. Too much interest in systems, shapes and damage protection. A lack of positive intent and it cost them dearly.

Mayo looked like they were going to motor ahead 10 mins into second half but they fell victim to the same fear of losing. That and getting destroyed at midfield.

No matter who Mayo draw next they need Ruane back. Galway probably bigger than any team they might face in a QF, but I don't think I've ever seen a Mayo team so comprehensively slaughtered at midfield. They also need do put Eoin McLaughlin on ice somewhere. He seems like a genuinely brilliant lad, but he's the living embodiment of Donal Vaughan and Mayo don't need that self exploding disadvantage going to Croke Park.

From the Bunker

Both teams had themselves to blame being in this situation.
The Kelly and Comer injures would not be issues if Galway were not here today.

Shane Walsh needs to keep away from the media circuit and get back to basics. His misses cost Galway today.

Mayo have got over the line today, but remember they have a stiff test again in a week, after a bruising game today.

David McKeown

Quote from: Gael85 on June 25, 2023, 04:43:06 PM

Did you think so?  I thought he was inconsistent and didn't apply the rules. Two clear black cards he gave yellows for (the hand trip and the dissent). Also when his own county can be impacted by the result in the next round he shouldn't have been refereeing.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

square_ball

Quote from: David McKeown on June 25, 2023, 04:47:58 PM
Quote from: Gael85 on June 25, 2023, 04:43:06 PM

Did you think so?  I thought he was inconsistent and didn't apply the rules. Two clear black cards he gave yellows for (the hand trip and the dissent). Also when his own county can be impacted by the result in the next round he shouldn't have been refereeing.

So was he on the phone to Logan/Dooher this morning to check which team they wanted to win? Jesus wept.

Main Street

Quote from: tyrone08 on June 25, 2023, 04:38:43 PM
Why go for a goal with over 2 mins left to play and only 2 points down
Turned out to be near enough 3 mins, not including the long last kickout. In any case, points against that wind were a rarity. Some poetic justice I suppose in that Galway were outdone by the Salthill swirling wind.

full moon

Quote from: thewobbler on June 25, 2023, 04:44:52 PM
Mad game of football.

Galway similar to Roscommon yesterday. Too much interest in systems, shapes and damage protection. A lack of positive intent and it cost them dearly.

Mayo looked like they were going to motor ahead 10 mins into second half but they fell victim to the same fear of losing. That and getting destroyed at midfield.

No matter who Mayo draw next they need Ruane back. Galway probably bigger than any team they might face in a QF, but I don't think I've ever seen a Mayo team so comprehensively slaughtered at midfield. They also need do put Eoin McLaughlin on ice somewhere. He seems like a genuinely brilliant lad, but he's the living embodiment of Donal Vaughan and Mayo don't need that self exploding disadvantage going to Croke Park.

I'd agree Mayo play with more freedom and are better for the neutral. Galway are a very regimented side, not as free flowing. Also agree Ruane needs to be back next time.

galwayman

If Shane turns up today we win the game.
You simply can't miss 20m frees in front of the posts.
And he barely touched the ball in open play.
Comer going off was obviously a disaster.
Ian Burke did nothing when he came on.

Wildweasel74

Would the hand trip not been accidental, I thought he was going down on the ball and Maher kicked through it, and he then tapped the ankle.

Wildweasel74

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Blowitupref

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 23, 2023, 07:40:02 PM
Going by Galway's scoring this year against div 1 opposition in league and championship you won't need you 17-18 points to win this Sunday.

2-8,0-8,0-16,1-9,1-13,1-8,1-13,0-11,1-13,0-16, and 1-12 that's an average of 14 points per game.  I'd expect an slugfest of a contest where a score line of 1-11 will likely be enough to win.

Turned out as I expected. Comer today going off didn't help but Galway next year will have to change their system to get more scores out of their team.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 25, 2023, 04:55:27 PM
Galway were actually stronger last year.

Everyone was fit and available last year. Apart from Cooke who came back.

Silke and Molloy missing before a ball was kicked this year. Comer, Finnerty, McHugh, Patrick Kelly have been battling knocks all year. Sean Kelly on one good leg today. Unfortunately it caught up with us eventually. Even if we had sneaked a win today we would have been struggling next week.