NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhá chos chlé

I find it hard to believe that Galway keeper is still holding to that jersey!

Surely in the county of Galway there's a man better in the club scene not getting the chance?

RedHand88

GalwayBayBoy

Now in mitigation Galway are down a lot of good players at the moment and given the teams selected I expected Mayo to win that game. However I have absolutely zero idea what the Galway management were trying to achieve there today.

Comer out before the game so they replace him with Niall Daly, a midfielder, and tell him to play up front. Through no fault of his own he doesn't play well up there so they sub him off again after 20 minutes. They have another midfielder, Cein Darcy, playing at wing forward marking one of the fastest wing-backs in the country in McLaughlin. To nobody's surprise he can't run with him but they leave him there anyway. Dylan McHugh a natural half back is playing in midfield and Sean Mulkerrin is playing at wing-back where I don't think I've ever seen him play. Cathal Sweeney a wing-back continues to be picked at corner-forward. Tierney came off the bench despite not being fully fit either and barely touched the ball. They just looked a disorganised mess. And I don't think they'll be getting any of the injured players back soon bar maybe Comer.

About the only bright spots is that the young lads O'Conghaile and O'Curraoin look like they are well able to kick scores when they get some service.  But they probably won't be picked anyway as they'll want someone who can run around the the half back line instead.

Blowitupref

Good goal from Donie Smith. Roscommon leading 1-3 to 0-5 in the opening 16 minutes
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Gael85

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 28, 2024, 03:52:55 PMNow in mitigation Galway are down a lot of good players at the moment and given the teams selected I expected Mayo to win that game. However I have absolutely zero idea what the Galway management were trying to achieve there today.

Comer out before the game so they replace him with Niall Daly, a midfielder, and tell him to play up front. Through no fault of his own he doesn't play well up there so they sub him off again after 20 minutes. They have another midfielder, Cein Darcy, playing at wing forward marking one of the fastest wing-backs in the country in McLaughlin. To nobody's surprise he can't run with him but they leave him there anyway. Dylan McHugh a natural half back is playing in midfield and Sean Mulkerrin is playing at wing-back where I don't think I've ever seen him play. Cathal Sweeney a wing-back continues to be picked at corner-forward. Tierney came off the bench despite not being fully fit either and barely touched the ball. They just looked a disorganised mess. And I don't think they'll be getting any of the injured players back soon bar maybe Comer.

About the only bright spots is that the young lads O'Conghaile and O'Curraoin look like they are well able to kick scores when they get some service.  But they probably won't be picked anyway as they'll want someone who can run around the the half back line instead.
Out thought, out played, out everything today.  Will be a long league campaign unless some of the injured lads are back soon.  Very few positives in that today from a Galway perspective, Mayo very comfortably the better team.

red hander

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 28, 2024, 04:03:51 PMGood goal from Donie Smith. Roscommon leading 1-3 to 0-5 in the opening 16 minutes

Tyrone trying to walk ball into goal when they're in good position to take point.

imtommygunn

Very averse to shooting at times when in positions you would expect county players to score from.

Gael85

Stupid black card to get and just before half time.

Blowitupref

Tyrone 0-10 to 1-6 at half time and have the man advantage for 10 minutes of the 2nd half after a foolish black card from Dylan Ruane.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

SouthOfThe Bann

Brilliant game in Omagh here.

All the bad press the Ulster teams get, they have all played brilliant attacking football this weekend.

Galway and Mayo by far the worst game on tv this weekend.

And fair play to the Rossies too playing some good ball. As much as I'm no Roscommon fan Davy Burke is a very likeable guy.

Main Street

The Ulster teams are looking fitter and playing well, is that partly down to the more competitive nature of the McKenna Cup (aka the Mickey Harte Cup)?

square_ball

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 28, 2024, 04:26:47 PMTyrone 0-10 to 1-6 at half time and have the man advantage for 10 minutes of the 2nd half after a foolish black card from Dylan Ruane.

Long time since I've seen as stupid a black card as that. Don't know what Ruane was thinking.

HokeyPokey

Tyrone doing pretty well considering half the team have no real senior county experience / are 21 or younger. Good to see chances given to new faces.

GalwayBayBoy

QuotePadraic Joyce confirms Peter Cooke isn't part of the squad for 2024. Cillian McDaid likely won't play any part of the league.

James McLaughlin and Cian Hernon also gone on Erasmus until May.