China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

Quote from: delgany on June 22, 2020, 11:05:24 AM
Did anyone see the images of Trump coming of the chopper at the Whitehouse? Must've hit the drink !
Sure he doesn't drink
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

seafoid

Quote from: balladmaker on June 22, 2020, 09:50:41 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 22, 2020, 01:00:37 AM
25,221 cases in the US in one day. They now have more reported tested deaths pro-rate than Ireland and with that number of new cases will mean more deaths there for some time to come. Trump's solution is to do less testing so there will be fewer reported cases!

I heard him say that during his Tulsa speech on Saturday .... was a WTF moment, I'd to rewind to make sure I'd heard him correctly.  There were quite a few WTF moments during that speech, with his story about Westpoint and the leather shoes being something more akin to a stand-up comedian than a president.

US is screwed for some time to come due to Covid-19 and Trump's inadequacies in the face of it.
Back in March Trump was betting on a strong economy to win in November.
He made a horse's arse of the pandemic.
His numbers are very poor.
So is the economy.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

nrico2006

The US have made a balls of dealing with COVOD-19 but so have Ireland and the UK.  Nearly sure the UK are worse-off statistically and Ireland are essentially the same as the US.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

trailer

Has the NI CMO been sacked? He hasn't been seen or heard from in over a month, in the middle of the biggest public health emergency in anyone's lifetime! What an absolute chancer!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trailer on June 22, 2020, 12:53:18 PM
Has the NI CMO been sacked? He hasn't been seen or heard from in over a month, in the middle of the biggest public health emergency in anyone's lifetime! What an absolute chancer!!

Sure according to some its crushed, crushed I tell ya!

So no need for a CMO in fairness
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Smurfy123

Is it not crushed?
0 cases on Saturday if that's not crushed I don't know what is
Remember we were told prior to lockdown we needed to flatten the curve and save the nhs
We were never told it was eliminate the virus
What part do you not get?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 22, 2020, 12:31:30 PM
The US have made a balls of dealing with COVOD-19 but so have Ireland and the UK.  Nearly sure the UK are worse-off statistically and Ireland are essentially the same as the US.

I think Ireland has done well

imtommygunn

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 22, 2020, 01:05:45 PM
Is it not crushed?
0 cases on Saturday if that's not crushed I don't know what is
Remember we were told prior to lockdown we needed to flatten the curve and save the nhs
We were never told it was eliminate the virus
What part do you not get?

;D

Yeah Mr2. What part do you not get lol

GalwayBayBoy

A significant difference is the virus is still running rampant in almost half the states in the US while community transmission has almost been extinguished in Ireland. At least for now.

GalwayBayBoy

6/21/2020

There's some good news for countries just beginning to reopen schools.

Their European counterparts — such as Denmark, Austria and Germany — that began sending children back to classrooms in April and early May, haven't seen significant increases in new cases. And experts are cautiously optimistic that sending children back to school may be relatively safe.

But it's early days yet. Incremental returns to school and robust infection control measures have been part of the game plan in those countries that have reopened classrooms successfully. With big questions around the virus still hanging in the air, some experts are issuing plenty of caveats.

The exemplar is Denmark, where the first children began returning in mid-April, when the country had just under 200 new cases a day. As of June 8, Denmark had just 14 daily new cases. And while the reproduction rate of the virus increased after the country began reopening, it has since dropped.

The head of experimental virology at Copenhagen University's Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, Allan Randrup Thomsen, was initially hesitant about the move. But now he notes that, since reopening, there "hasn't been any effect that we can see."

In fact, the statistical models predicted there would be more spreading than was actually observed, according to Søren Riis Paludan, professor in virology at Aarhus University. The puzzle is why that didn't happen.

"Opening the schools has really not been translated into any imprint in the transmission numbers," he said.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 22, 2020, 01:06:51 PM

Hard to argue, think the whole island has done rightly myself. Bar a few recent blemishes on the social distancing it was a good joint effort.

imtommygunn

Agreed. All things considered I also think we've done pretty well.

mackers

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 22, 2020, 01:35:14 PM
6/21/2020

There's some good news for countries just beginning to reopen schools.

Their European counterparts — such as Denmark, Austria and Germany — that began sending children back to classrooms in April and early May, haven't seen significant increases in new cases. And experts are cautiously optimistic that sending children back to school may be relatively safe.

But it's early days yet. Incremental returns to school and robust infection control measures have been part of the game plan in those countries that have reopened classrooms successfully. With big questions around the virus still hanging in the air, some experts are issuing plenty of caveats.

The exemplar is Denmark, where the first children began returning in mid-April, when the country had just under 200 new cases a day. As of June 8, Denmark had just 14 daily new cases. And while the reproduction rate of the virus increased after the country began reopening, it has since dropped.

The head of experimental virology at Copenhagen University's Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, Allan Randrup Thomsen, was initially hesitant about the move. But now he notes that, since reopening, there "hasn't been any effect that we can see."

In fact, the statistical models predicted there would be more spreading than was actually observed, according to Søren Riis Paludan, professor in virology at Aarhus University. The puzzle is why that didn't happen.

"Opening the schools has really not been translated into any imprint in the transmission numbers," he said.
That answers a question that I asked on the teachers' thread last week.  There appears to be very little evidence of schools being a source of the virus at all.  Hopefully September will see the full re-opening of schools without any implications.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

armaghniac

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 22, 2020, 01:06:51 PM

Ireland is mid table on this one. They haven't done well, but they haven't made a balls of it like USA and UK. The USA will have many more deaths even from the cases being announced at present, GB is closer the the end of the wave.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Captain Obvious

Anyone that thinks Ireland are doing as bad as the US are looking at Worldometer and jumping to conclusions.

With a bit more research here is one website that shows countries that has done well (Ireland included) and those doing bad (UK USA)

https://www.endcoronavirus.org/countries#winning