Northern Ireland The Centenary of OWC

Started by Applesisapples, August 10, 2020, 02:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief

Quote from: gallsman on August 10, 2020, 07:53:40 PM
f**k sake, is this really what it's come to!? "I'm such a big f**king chuckie compared to you because I refuse to say Northern Ireland?" It's the lads who use such shite to judge others that need to have a word with themselves.

How are your mates the Wolfe Tones doing, Balladmaker? I don't remember reading too many stories about all the time they did in the Kesh, but sure they shout "up the Ra" a few times a year so let's give them all a big cheer.

Yeah the republican / nationalist "thought police" are fairly insufferable.

People's Front of Judea vs Judean People's Front type stuff really.

general_lee

I tend to say the North or NI. If I'm abroad I'm Irish/from Ireland. None of this "Northern Irish shite".

I recognise Northern Ireland exists but I don't recognise its legitimacy so am reluctant to refer to it in name. I don't judge people that do, just find it cringey when I say it. Don't think any of that increases my republican credentials.

balladmaker

f**k sake, is this really what it's come to!? "I'm such a big f**king chuckie compared to you because I refuse to say Northern Ireland?" It's the lads who use such shite to judge others that need to have a word with themselves.

How are your mates the Wolfe Tones doing, Balladmaker? I don't remember reading too many stories about all the time they did in the Kesh, but sure they shout "up the Ra" a few times a year so let's give them all a big cheer.

They're doing great, thanks for asking.  But to answer your real point, the equation is quite simple, don't like their songs, don't listen to them.  It's as simple as that.  The fact that a lot of people do listen to them, well they're fully entitled to do so if they so wish.  You mightn't like that fact, so what. Enjoy >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh3x2ijOpMY

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Chief on August 10, 2020, 07:58:36 PM

I was at the Scór one night and chatting to this lady (I was a young cub at the time) about the different acts that we liked. Then she started asking me if I partook in any of the acts.

Her: Do you play Irish music?
Me: No
Her: Do you sing Irish songs?
Her: Are you into Irish dancing?
Her:Are you into Irish literature?
Her (disapprovingly): Well what do you do?
Me: Irish language
Her: Oh...

I think I passed her purity test eventually.

Something I was once told was that no Irishman has the right to put another Irishman to the test to prove his Irishness.

Rossfan

To paraphrase what someone once said  about Derry.....
You call it what you like but don't tell me what to call it .
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

gallsman

Yeah, I mean forget about being involved with the GAA in whatever capacity, you don't get a gold star on the prove you're a true fenian test until you become a Celtic fan and proudly tell everyone how staunchly you refuse to use the phrase "Northern Ireland".

f**king embarrassing.

6th sam

Quote from: Rossfan on August 10, 2020, 09:09:16 PM
To paraphrase what someone once said  about Derry.....
You call it what you like but don't tell me what to call it .

That's it in a nutshell

6th sam

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 10, 2020, 09:04:23 PM
Quote from: Chief on August 10, 2020, 07:58:36 PM

I was at the Scór one night and chatting to this lady (I was a young cub at the time) about the different acts that we liked. Then she started asking me if I partook in any of the acts.

Her: Do you play Irish music?
Her: Do you sing Irish songs?
Her: Are you into Irish dancing?
Her:Are you into Irish literature?
Her (disapprovingly): Well what do you do?
Me: Irish language
Her: Oh...

I think I passed her purity test eventually.

Something I was once told was that no Irishman has the right to put another Irishman to the test to prove his Irishness

When I was younger, Our family would have been considered very "Irish" in our club , whilst another family were considered the opposite by some. I remember a member of that family , basically Admitting he had no interest in the music dance and even language, he enjoyed soccer and cricket, but he assertively and proudly said "I'm every bit as Irish as you are" ....he was 100% right! I actually find it funny when someone claims to be more Irish than another, how can you possibly define this?

RedHand88

I won't use the term "Northern Ireland" if I can help it. I'll just say the north, the 6 counties etc.
Tbh, it doesn't bother me that much when people say it. If I ever hear Britain referred to as "the mainland" (TM) though... *shudder*

red hander

Quote from: balladmaker on August 10, 2020, 05:48:30 PM
I would never refer to the place I live as NI, why should we acknowledge a failed, sectarian statelet, purposely set up to discriminate and gerrymander with an inbuilt Unionist majority, a Protestant state for a Protestant people .... guess what, 2021 is expected to show a clear nationalist majority in the north.  Our unionist community can at least be assured that they will receive equality in a new Ireland, and be treated a hell of a lot better than they treated Catholics in the first 50 years of their unionist dream state. The first 100 years of this place will also be the last 100 ... I hope I live to see that day.

This.

The failed putrid statelet is in its death throes, English nationalism and Scottish independence will help put it out of its misery. Unionists will need to get over their Stockholm syndrome and realise the Brits don't give a flying fiddler's fcuk about them.

Eamonnca1

I would never refer to the place I live as NI, why should we acknowledge a failed, sectarian statelet, purposely set up to discriminate and gerrymander with an inbuilt Unionist majority, a Protestant state for a Protestant people .... guess what, 2021 is expected to show a clear nationalist majority in the north.  Our unionist community can at least be assured that they will receive equality in a new Ireland, and be treated a hell of a lot better than they treated Catholics in the first 50 years of their unionist dream state. The first 100 years of this place will also be the last 100 ... I hope I live to see that day.

Since you asked, anyone who voted for the Good Friday Agreement agreed to recognise the fact of the state's existence, while also recognizing our right to aspire to a different constitutional setup. It's okay to recognise the existence of the state, it doesn't mean you have to support it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: red hander on August 11, 2020, 12:10:27 AM

This.

The failed putrid statelet is in its death throes, English nationalism and Scottish independence will help put it out of its misery. Unionists will need to get over their Stockholm syndrome and realise the Brits don't give a flying fiddler's fcuk about them.

And will you except their traditions when there is a UI?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Applesisapples

To be fair you are most likely to hear Southern Irish people such as Rossfan either expressly or by insinuation suggest we in the North are somehow less than full citizens. I use Northern Ireland were appropriate but find it sticks in my teeth, I use the North and NI as well. Doesn't affect my view on a UI to accept that the state exists. It doesn't prevent me questioning the legitimacy of a breakaway state founded on violence and the threat of violence. I have long held the view that had unionists recognised two cultures and administered the state fairly then we wouldn't have had the discord of the last 99 years.

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 11, 2020, 08:04:00 AM
Quote from: red hander on August 11, 2020, 12:10:27 AM

This.

And will you except their traditions when there is a UI?

Good question.

As much as prods with a titter of wit are beginning to see that the Torys in England don't give two fiddlers for them we as Nationalists need to allay their fears that we won't behave in a UI the way they behaved when they'd a gerrymandered majority here.

Cloughey True Blues flute band could march up and down the shorefront all day every day if we were in a UI.

Rossfan

Dear Applesisapples,
I do not think Irish people in the North arent * "full Irish citizens".
I am not a "Southern Irishman". Western maybe.

* like most Irish Citizens who reside outside the 26 ye can't vote in Dáil or Presidential Elections or Referenda on the Bunreacht.
That however is not down to my opinion.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM