The Future of Dublin Football (according to Colm O'Rourke)

Started by Lar Naparka, November 19, 2018, 07:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mup

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 21, 2018, 06:59:26 PM
Where did this idea come from that Kildare is a serious football county?

All evidence points to the opposite

I can't understand it either.

moysider

Splitting Dublin is just a non runner for me. Nonsense.

How about splitting up New Zealand into North and South islands to give others a chance?

England have 100,000 more adults playing rugby than Ireland does. France and S. Africa 5X our numbers. In recent years we can beat them. Why?

Look at the County Manager Merry Go-Round thread. Madness out there. Recent Ros. manager appointment the latest one. How is that going to end up?!

Blowitupref

Quote from: moysider on November 21, 2018, 11:22:39 PM

How about splitting up New Zealand into North and South islands to give others a chance?

England have 100,000 more adults playing rugby than Ireland does. France and S. Africa 5X our numbers. In recent years we can beat them. Why?

Look at the County Manager Merry Go-Round thread. Madness out there. Recent Ros. manager appointment the latest one. How is that going to end up?!

To be fair McStay who managed Roscommon the last 3 years and the new appointment Anthony Cunningham have been residents in Roscommon for years. I'd look more to true outsiders with no connection to the counties they are about to manage, for example Offaly with John Maughan, Leitrim with Terry Hyland,Down with Paddy Tally and ask how is that going to end up?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

So if we don't split Dublin and every County appoints an insider as manager. .....
What happens then?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Orchard park

Quote from: Blowitupref on November 22, 2018, 02:41:09 AM

To be fair McStay who managed Roscommon the last 3 years and the new appointment Anthony Cunningham have been residents in Roscommon for years. I'd look more to true outsiders with no connection to the counties they are about to manage, for example Offaly with John Maughan, Leitrim with Terry Hyland,Down with Paddy Tally and ask how is that going to end up?

neither mcstay nor Cunningham can be considered outsiders no matter where their native loyalties remain.....

Lar Naparka

All that's fine as far as it goes moy but, as Colm O'Rourke said, it's not what's at issue here.
Dublin now has around one third of the population of the Republic. (Dunno the taig/prod breakdown in Norn Iron so I'll stick with the other 26.)
Government estimates are that by 2040, half the country will live in the greater Dublin area.
One team to represent one third of the entire country is not good either Dublin or the rest. O'Rourke makes the point that they are many club players in Dublin who would walk onto any other senior side in the land and he's dead right.
There are only so many places on a football panel anywhere and Dublin could easily field another team or two to compete with the rest.
The Dublin set up at club and county level is elitist, pure and simple. Nothing wrong with that. They are making best use of what is available to them but it comes at a mighty price to the GAA within the county and to the rest of the country also.
Massive clubs like Ballyboden and Kilmacud, to mention only two, makes have hundreds of kids but only one senior team.
Some will drop out anyway as they move up through the grades but many more will leave because there's no room for them to play any higher.
That team will be the elite of the club as only the best can fight their way to the top. So it's no wonder Jim Gavin has any amount of top class players pressing hard for a place on the first fifteen.
The Dubs will never fail due to a lack of interest or motivation. There isn't a single player who will ever be able to take it easy, thinking there is no else to fill his shoes.
I don't want to upset any genuine Dub fans here but the loss to the GAA in general terms is a pretty high one.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 22, 2018, 11:59:35 AM

All that's fine as far as it goes moy but, as Colm O'Rourke said, it's not what's at issue here.
Dublin now has around one third of the population of the Republic. (Dunno the taig/prod breakdown in Norn Iron so I'll stick with the other 26.)
Government estimates are that by 2040, half the country will live in the greater Dublin area.
One team to represent one third of the entire country is not good either Dublin or the rest. O'Rourke makes the point that they are many club players in Dublin who would walk onto any other senior side in the land and he's dead right.
There are only so many places on a football panel anywhere and Dublin could easily field another team or two to compete with the rest.
The Dublin set up at club and county level is elitist, pure and simple. Nothing wrong with that. They are making best use of what is available to them but it comes at a mighty price to the GAA within the county and to the rest of the country also.
Massive clubs like Ballyboden and Kilmacud, to mention only two, makes have hundreds of kids but only one senior team.
Some will drop out anyway as they move up through the grades but many more will leave because there's no room for them to play any higher.
That team will be the elite of the club as only the best can fight their way to the top. So it's no wonder Jim Gavin has any amount of top class players pressing hard for a place on the first fifteen.
The Dubs will never fail due to a lack of interest or motivation. There isn't a single player who will ever be able to take it easy, thinking there is no else to fill his shoes.
I don't want to upset any genuine Dub fans here but the loss to the GAA in general terms is a pretty high one.

I dunno. For a start the Greater Dublin Area is not County Dublin and before long will probably include most of the province of Leinster. The National Transport Authority has defined the Greater Dublin Area as including the counties of Dublin, Meath, Kildare, and Wicklow. So if the population of this region rises as expected should we be expecting other counties in the region like Meath and Kildare to field multiple teams also?
Census 2016 results show that Meath was one of the fastest growing counties in the country with Meath's population growing by 5.9 per cent in five years to 195,044. I'll put it this way. Meath has a way bigger population now than when they last were winning AIs. The population issue is relevant for some counties but not for Colm's Meath or Kildare either. Reality is that when Dubs are playing in an AI final a good proportion of the city population wouldn't even be aware of it and others would resent it.

moysider

Quote from: Blowitupref on November 22, 2018, 02:41:09 AM

Just to clarify. I have no problem with a manager from outside a county. Residency is not an issue.  But it has to be somebody that can do it. Maughan did a job in Clare. His way worked at that time.  Mickey Moran was great in Mayo. Arguably gave us one of our greatest years - in one year before being shafted:-\

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on November 22, 2018, 11:34:12 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 22, 2018, 11:59:35 AM

I dunno. For a start the Greater Dublin Area is not County Dublin and before long will probably include most of the province of Leinster. The National Transport Authority has defined the Greater Dublin Area as including the counties of Dublin, Meath, Kildare, and Wicklow. So if the population of this region rises as expected should we be expecting other counties in the region like Meath and Kildare to field multiple teams also?
Census 2016 results show that Meath was one of the fastest growing counties in the country with Meath's population growing by 5.9 per cent in five years to 195,044. I'll put it this way. Meath has a way bigger population now than when they last were winning AIs. The population issue is relevant for some counties but not for Colm's Meath or Kildare either. Reality is that when Dubs are playing in an AI final a good proportion of the city population wouldn't even be aware of it and others would resent it.
I dunno either and that's a fact. To begin with, I got my figures courtesy of Simon Coveney and he was referring to the Greater Dublin Area. There is no formal definition of the GDA  but to the govt. planners, it's the territory inside a line stretching from Drogheda through Navan,
That's what Coveney was referring to.
County Dublin, according to the 2016 census had 28% of the state's population and this was projected to rise to 40% by 2040. Already, those estimates appear to be conservative.
Put another way, going by the stats from that census, Dublin at present has the same pop as a total of 15 other counties, working back from Leitrim.THe gap between Dublin and the rest is steadily growing.
This is why O'Rourke refers to the number of Dublin players, good enough to play intercounty football anywhere else but who will never get a chance to wear a county jersey.  Same goes for Dublin clubs- maybe a hundred or more kids milling about at the weekend but with about the same number of senior, junior and u20 players as,say, Mitchels or Stephenites or Ballintubber in Mayo but they have a much smaller membership.
Let's say that those three have a combined membership equal to that of Ballyboden- okay so far? But they will all have senior sides (and junior, u20 etc.)
So if you have five hundred kids and you want the greatest number possible to play with their respective clubs until they retire, which way should you go, one mega club or three smaller ones?
I know' Boden well and like Erin's Isle that I know a lot better, you couldn't get nicer, more committed members and team mentors there than anywhere else. But the size of the bigger Dublin clubs may produce quality players at the business end but at a cost of a horrendous drop out rate through the lower grades.

The real crux of the matter where Dublin is concerned is not at intercounty level but it begins at a much earlier stage.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

https://m.independent.ie/business/jobs/dublin-swallows-up-majority-of-new-job-opportunities-37557650.html

Rest of us may as well amalgamate :-\
Or regionalised things to 6 teams
Dublin, East Leinster, South and West Leinster, Connacht, Munster and Ulster
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM