tyrone reserve football

Started by HUNKY DORYS, April 14, 2014, 12:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HUNKY DORYS

Just thought I'd introduce a new thread for reserve football as it plays a big part in our club game. many reserve players may also appreciate putting their opinions across regarding their club, respective league and championship matches. . post way and enjoy!!

Under Lights

Are Clonoe reserves still the team to beat in D1?
Probably Pomeroy in D2 and Fintona in D3.

Up The Middle

I would say division 1 will be between the usual 4 or 5 teams, Clonoe, Errigal, Carrickmore, Dromore and Ardboe.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Club Rossa

Cookstown reserves went well last season too until they met Clonoe in the championship.

HUNKY DORYS

CLonoe definitely set the pace in the reserve league and championship. Good settled team. Ardboe seem to be there or thereabouts. Team changes frequently due to lads pushing for seniors etc. We had a decent win against moortown y.day. But few lads just back training and from injury so too early to say about them being  contenders.

Under Lights

I have seen a lot of players who are top quality reserve players. Unmarketable at times. Put them in the senior team and they can't even preform the basics of the game.

HUNKY DORYS

Very true. Think there could be a few reasons for that, senior game is a lot more intense and faster!! Another reason could be that in the reserve team they are the go to men, while in the senior match they are fringe players. Egos etc around the senior team could also be off putting.
A lot of football is confidence based, if this is knocked forget about it.

Under Lights

Reserve Football needs a complete revamp in Tyrone imo.

First off any delays in the senior programme shouldn't delay the reserve season being completed.
It might be beneficial to play the senior game as the first game on the billing. This will help with clubs who have small panels where lads have to double up- this is especially important with the BC.

Personally I think the reserve league should probably be a completely separate thing with promotion and relegation. Games played on a Friday night.
At the moment if you are playing reserves and on the senior panel its a long day. You might leave the house at 1 and not home to 6.30 or so.

blackball

Friday evening games for the reserves seems like a logical step, you will have a fresh senior bench for Sunday and you wont have to worry about lads taking a feed of drink the night before and not turning up. Both the league and championship could be finished up over the summer months as the county team will have no affect on reserve fixtures.

everymanaman

Quote from: Under Lights on April 14, 2014, 05:01:59 PM
I have seen a lot of players who are top quality reserve players. Unmarketable at times. Put them in the senior team and they can't even preform the basics of the game.

Bet you most of them can spell though!!

Under Lights

Quote from: everymanaman on April 15, 2014, 09:42:42 AM
Quote from: Under Lights on April 14, 2014, 05:01:59 PM

Bet you most of them can spell though!!

I'm sure you got the general gist. Great input to the thread though  :o :o :o ::)

nrico2006

Quote from: Under Lights on April 14, 2014, 08:14:31 AM
Are Clonoe reserves still the team to beat in D1?
Probably Pomeroy in D2 and Fintona in D3.

Strabane always have a very good reserve team and they've started the league well by beating Clonoe.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Christmas Lights

Checking in for the stiffs  :D  I have played quite a bit of senior football down through the years but Id imagine the majority of the rest of my playing career will be for the reserves and at the end of the day its all about playing football that matters, no matter what the level. 
I agree that it probably needs a revamp and maybe should move towards the way that counties like Fermanagh for example work in that the reserve game is played on a seperate day and clubs can be promoted and relegated as normal.  Would make the thing a whole lot more competitive and it would probably be taken a lot more serious by a lot of clubs.

Anyone know if this has ever been proposed at a county board meeting? 

tyroneboi

I'd be inclined to agree about a separate reserve league but my suggestion would be split the county east and west and have 2 leagues of 12 (or whatever the split is) and run the league off from that. Reason being it may be hard to gather a reserve team on a Friday night if derrytresk had to travel to urney for example. Championship could then be run as an all county thing. Think some kind of change in structure should be tried out sooner rather than later.

Under Lights

Quote from: tyroneboi on April 16, 2014, 03:44:42 PM
I'd be inclined to agree about a separate reserve league but my suggestion would be split the county east and west and have 2 leagues of 12 (or whatever the split is) and run the league off from that. Reason being it may be hard to gather a reserve team on a Friday night if derrytresk had to travel to urney for example. Championship could then be run as an all county thing. Think some kind of change in structure should be tried out sooner rather than later.

Not a bad idea that. Four divisions. East D1, East D2, West D1, West D2. All Friday night games.

Current system doesn't work- esp in smaller clubs where lads double off. We took lads off at half time in reserves at the weekend to save them for senior game- weren't used but then there were no black cards- in this instance our reserves went on to win the game- but chances are that wouldn't happen every week.