weekend breaks in ireland

Started by kinghen, September 09, 2008, 02:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Trying to plan a surfing weekend in September - one cousin is based in Limerick, and a few of us in Belfast.
Lahinch is a 5hr drive for us, Bundoran is similar for her.

Is there anywhere you can learn to surf and have a bit of craic along the Mayo/Galway coast?  It would cut out an hr or so for us at least.

gawa316

Quote from: Rois on July 28, 2010, 10:58:07 AM
Trying to plan a surfing weekend in September - one cousin is based in Limerick, and a few of us in Belfast.

Is there anywhere you can learn to surf and have a bit of craic along the Mayo/Galway coast?  It would cut out an hr or so for us at least.

Could your cousin go as far as Sligo? Standhill is a deadly wee spot, that has surf schools, camping, accom, seaweed baths and pubs

spuds

Quote from: Rois on July 28, 2010, 10:58:07 AM

carrowniskey beach beyond louisburg in mayo is a great peaceful spot for the surfing
boards & wetsuits for hire from van on beach and surf lessons too
nearby is croagh patrick westport leenane delphi adventure centre stunning scenery eg lough nafooey ashleigh falls & connacht s highest mountain mweelrea not to mention killary harbour clew bay clare island other beaches at old head bertra carrowmore silver strand
gorgeous part of the world
for you northern folk this area was populated way back with natives kicked out during the plantation of ulster
do it
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

spuds

ps 5hrs to bundoran from limerick ! is she driving a milk float  :P
John Hubbard

Rois

I just guessed that distance - I see now that it's less than 4 - oops.

Spuds - the place near Louisburg sounds a bit too peaceful?  Or are there are few pubs that we'd have the craic in come evening time?

We're looking for somewhere that will give us a package with accommodation, which is where Bundoran comes into its own.  Part of it has to be a few good local bars that will welcome Tyronies. 

Strandhill sounds grand as well - about three hours for both of us (I'm sure I can do it in less) - just wondering the same about bars.

spuds

carrowniskey waaayy to peaceful alright for you no pubs (or houses) about
nearest village is louisburg still too quiet but 20 mins away is westport with a sight of good pubs
maybe bundoran suits better as everything together
westport would be a way nicer town and better pubs
practacalities might have to win out though
John Hubbard

gawa316

Strandhill has 2 pubs close to the beach. At the wkds they are usually rammed (must come from Sligo town, which is only a few mile away) and have had live music everytime I've been in them.

Was down there last aug bank holiday wkd. There is a festival on that wkd, (some iron man thing running up round a mountain) but anyway the place was buzzing. They have live music beer tent, amusements and all that stuff, quality weekend

Rois

Thanks for the advice - Strandhill looks like a main contender now.

Milltown Row2

Went down to Rostrevor on Friday to a campsite. had a great time. The kids loved it and it was a super place. Rostevor is a wonderfull spot.

Having been in campsites around Europe a few times, they  would be hard to beat, but we had a great time, and we truly live in a great part of the world, apart for the unpredictable weather!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 28, 2010, 09:40:15 PM
Went down to Rostrevor on Friday to a campsite. had a great time. The kids loved it and it was a super place. Rostevor is a wonderfull spot.

Having been in campsites around Europe a few times, they  would be hard to beat, but we had a great time, and we truly live in a great part of the world, apart for the unpredictable weather!!!
The Corner House? Fearon's? The Kilbroney?

Milltown Row2

Kilbroney. 12 pounds a night! Would loved to have done the forrest walk but getting 3 girls to hike is nearly impossible
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rois

Departing for my surfing weekend in a couple of hours - hope Strandhill lives up to the billing, especially the pub tonight cause I think I'll need somewhere welcoming.

the Deel Rover

Having a dirty pint of guinness in taffes in galway , ah the joys . Who won the tennis last night ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

glens abu

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 13, 2010, 01:59:06 PM
Having a dirty pint of guinness in taffes in galway , ah the joys . Who won the tennis last night ?

Rained off

the Deel Rover

Cheers glen s abu
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001