Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Quote from: tyrone08 on August 09, 2019, 09:30:45 AM

Cant help but think if Theresa may wasnt in charge at the start a deal would have been reached by now. By her giving into the eu so much at the start and trying to please the dup it's very difficult to do a deal  now as the eu can't be seen to back down.

At the very start a clear deal should have been agreed which was in benefit of the eu and  uk. No matter what anyone says a poor uk makes for a poor eu and Visa versa. Time for the leaders to act like grown ups but not much chance of that happening.

People should also look at the actual facts of the economic performance so far instead of what might happen. Last quarter in 2018 and first quarter  in 2019 uk either matched or slightly out performed germany and France in growth.

She was advised to broker a deal and sort out all divorce terms before A50 was invoked. Disastrously, for the UK, she didn't; the EU out-maneuvered her there.

trailer

Quote from: mouview on August 09, 2019, 12:31:25 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on August 09, 2019, 09:30:45 AM

Cant help but think if Theresa may wasnt in charge at the start a deal would have been reached by now. By her giving into the eu so much at the start and trying to please the dup it's very difficult to do a deal  now as the eu can't be seen to back down.

At the very start a clear deal should have been agreed which was in benefit of the eu and  uk. No matter what anyone says a poor uk makes for a poor eu and Visa versa. Time for the leaders to act like grown ups but not much chance of that happening.

People should also look at the actual facts of the economic performance so far instead of what might happen. Last quarter in 2018 and first quarter  in 2019 uk either matched or slightly out performed germany and France in growth.

She was advised to broker a deal and sort out all divorce terms before A50 was invoked. Disastrously, for the UK, she didn't; the EU out-maneuvered her there.

The EU completely out manoeuvred the UK gov which is hard to believe given it is 27 separate nations. The 27 were able to speak as one and the UK weren't. Invoking Article 50 was a major mistake but then the EU refused to negotiate until they had done that and then insisted the withdrawal agreement must be agreed before the future relationship is agreed. May and her government was completely out played.

johnnycool

Quote from: armaghniac on August 08, 2019, 10:01:32 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 08, 2019, 08:49:56 PM
Stolen from a YouTube comment:

QuoteCalm down everyone , this is how it will go down.
When they meet in France at the G7 Boris will agree to only N.I staying in the C.U and Single Market.
That will be voted through by the House of Commons as they will all be called back early for the vote.
DUP will say " we are pulling our support from the Convervative Govt".  A general election will have to be held.  This eliminates the No Confidence vote option  and allows Boris to set the G.E for post Oct 31.
Everyone is a winner except the DUP.   But let's not worry about the DUP their White ISIS caliphate called Northern Ireland has run it's course. Peace in a Unified Ireland.

Thoughts?

Fixed parliament term means that an actual vote in Westminster is needed to call an election, Boris cannot just toddle off to QE2 and ask for one.

Aye but Corbyn has been harping for a GE as well, so I'd expect that vote for a GE to go through Parliament.

Timing is the issue though as Cummins is allegedly confident that a no deal brexit can legally happen by default if Parliament isn't sitting.

Trailer,
    I'd say your not far wrong in saying a high percentage of farmers or whatever hue voted to leave the EU, mightn't go as far as 90% though, and that they're blaming the EU for their ills when it's anything but.

It's a lot like Boris waving about a packet of kippers that he'd said the EU insisted be shipped in a cooled container when it was actually the UK's food standards agency who insisted on it.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

trailer

Quote from: johnnycool on August 09, 2019, 12:38:10 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 08, 2019, 10:01:32 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 08, 2019, 08:49:56 PM
Stolen from a YouTube comment:

QuoteCalm down everyone , this is how it will go down.
When they meet in France at the G7 Boris will agree to only N.I staying in the C.U and Single Market.
That will be voted through by the House of Commons as they will all be called back early for the vote.
DUP will say " we are pulling our support from the Convervative Govt".  A general election will have to be held.  This eliminates the No Confidence vote option  and allows Boris to set the G.E for post Oct 31.
Everyone is a winner except the DUP.   But let's not worry about the DUP their White ISIS caliphate called Northern Ireland has run it's course. Peace in a Unified Ireland.

Thoughts?

Fixed parliament term means that an actual vote in Westminster is needed to call an election, Boris cannot just toddle off to QE2 and ask for one.

Aye but Corbyn has been harping for a GE as well, so I'd expect that vote for a GE to go through Parliament.

Timing is the issue though as Cummins is allegedly confident that a no deal brexit can legally happen by default if Parliament isn't sitting.

Trailer,
    I'd say your not far wrong in saying a high percentage of farmers or whatever hue voted to leave the EU, mightn't go as far as 90% though, and that they're blaming the EU for their ills when it's anything but.

It's a lot like Boris waving about a packet of kippers that he'd said the EU insisted be shipped in a cooled container when it was actually the UK's food standards agency who insisted on it.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Do I know the exact figure of dairy farmers? No. But it was a very high percentage.
My own Brother and Brother in Law (both in agriculture) voted to leave. Two of my Uncles (1 in agriculture) voted leave. Not all dairy farmers love the DUP. Plenty of middle of the road, good honest people voted to leave as well. 

Rossfan

I would have thought farmers with all their EU monies would be the last to vote to leave.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trailer

Quote from: Rossfan on August 09, 2019, 01:27:54 PM
I would have thought farmers with all their EU monies would be the last to vote to leave.

You see you're looking back on decision taken in 2016 and super imposing what we know now.
Farmers were told subsidies would be protected. New markets would be opened up and access to the EU SM retained. We could have our cake and eat it. Now at the time lots of people were sceptical and rightly so, but others believed it.

Taylor

Quote from: trailer on August 09, 2019, 01:38:10 PM

You see you're looking back on decision taken in 2016 and super imposing what we know now.
Farmers were told subsidies would be protected. New markets would be opened up and access to the EU SM retained. We could have our cake and eat it. Now at the time lots of people were sceptical and rightly so, but others believed it.

But now that they can see it for what it really is why do they continue to want to leave?

Have relations in agriculture and they are dead against it now having been on the fence during the vote (and didnt actually vote)

Rossfan

You wouldnt catch any 26 Co farmers or anyone else here falling for that sort of sh1te .
Then again Uninists had to prove how ultra Brit they were in the hope of recreating the 1950s.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Stall the Bailer

The border constituencies voted remain, apart from Foyle these are all rural areas where many voters come from a farming background. Most farmers I know voted remain. Just because your family voted leave doesn't mean they are representative of all farmers.

Franko

Both sides of the argument were well publicised at the time of the vote.  Farmers (like everyone else) chose which side of the story they wanted to believe.

The stupid and staunch ones backed the wrong horse.  The ones with a bit of cop on knew the score.

Sportacus

Over a thousand farmers attended the Brexit debate in the Eikon at the Maze.  Owen Patterson argued in favour of Brexit and basically used various silly EU rules to make his case, e.g. 3 crop rule.  NFU President at the time Peter Kendall argued for Remain although he struggled because he was doing it via video link.  At the end there was a show of hands and 2/3 of the farmers  intended to vote Leave.

RedHand88

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49308970

No deal preparations starting to ramp up over at Whitehall.

Caitlin

I think it's time we Gaels stood up and were counted before it's too late.

The recent articles by Fintan O'Toole and yesterday's article by Patrick Murphy in the Irish News have summed it up for me. It's not good enough for Sinn Fein in 2019 to say that they weren't elected to take their seats. As Murphy points out, they were elected to the assembly in 2017 on a load of promises that they haven't delivered so they can break election pledges whenever it suits.

These are unprecedented times so Sinn Fein should take unprecedented measures and not 'sit idly by' when their seven votes could take out the madman in Downing Street.

In fact just two of them taking their seats would be enough to overturn the Tory-DUP alliance.

Conor Murphy and Chris Hazzard are two good GAA men "representing" Newry and Armagh and South Down respectively. I have family in both constituencies and have already seen Gaelic clubs suffer from players moving away to Belfast/Dublin or- worse still- to GB/USA/Australia/Middle East , never to return. These areas are going to be badly hit with a no deal Brexit and more young men and women will be forced to emigrate- leading to more school closures and teams unable to field. Conor and Chris have the power to stop this So- we must speak up and stop this madness.

haranguerer

Oh ffs. Those articles are nonsensical.

t_mac

Conor Murphy hasn't been an MP since 2015. Micky Brady - who you ask, exactly!!  - has been "representing" Armagh.  :o