Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

The NFU in England are totally against No Deal

NFU lady

https://mobile.twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1097841785173393409

NFU Press Team

@NFUPress
· Jun 3
"If Government chooses to pursue a trade deal that facilitates products entering the country produced to banned methods, I would consider that a betrayal of British farmers and the values we all stand for." ‪@Minette_Batters‬
(link: https://twitter.com/NFUtweets/status/1135460904072634368)

Any deal with the US will wipe out loads of farmers in the north who will not be able to
compete with US prices

The DUP do not give a flying f**k about NI farmers

https://youtu.be/H-PSCqhkWhg

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

haranguerer

I saw something in the media a few years ago whihc I thought summed it up well re Brexit, nationalists/unionists and farming. It was a more in depth piece, and they visited some of the marts round Fermangh/Tyrone to speak to farmers. One farmer when asked about the nationalist/unionist dfferences, laid out that speaking very generally, the unionists had got the better land, and so weren't reliant on the payments from the EU to the same extent as the nationalists with worse land - indeed, the unionists were much more inclined to see the restrictions of the EU rather than their support, as being more relevant to them.

trailer

Quote from: johnnycool on August 27, 2019, 01:46:50 PM
Quote from: trailer on August 20, 2019, 10:17:56 AM
Hope everyone was watching BBC News report this morning on Scotland & NI farmers. All voted leave. All want to come out either with or without a deal. So don't tell me they didn't overwhelming vote to leave. Chickens coming home to roost. Be a few farms up for sale....

Spoke to a local farmer over the weekend and he told me that the UFU/DUP as he called them did roadshows/talks with farmers during the Brexit campaign in 2016 and the one he was at was headed by Edwin Poots who promised them their subsidies would be maintained through London and with new deals being struck around the world beef would rise to over £5 a kilo and milk prices would also rise as new deals would be struck with India and the likes.

No wonder they voted for it.

Nearly as fanciful as Boris' big bus.

No. No farmers voted to leave. And all of them are campaigning to remain. I've got it wrong. #GAABoardlogic

trailer

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on August 27, 2019, 01:32:59 PM
Quote from: trailer on August 23, 2019, 09:24:32 AM
A lot of people confusing a border with custom checks. Infrastructure is not the entire story. Saying things like putting up a hard border or not lets these charlatans off with saying we're not putting one up. It's the checks which is the actual issue.

You need to do customs checks at the border, otherwise it isn't a border at all.

If you'd a grain of cop-on under that tinfoil hat in yer photo you'd know that...  ;)

Sure ask some of the 30 something farmers you talk to every day about what used to go on in smuggling across the border. D'ya think the smugglers are now going to log in to HMRC.gov.uk to declare moving a load of animals and await Border force checks at the shed?

Maybe a wee ad or two from yer tax credits woman on the radio will sort it out.  8)

This is the most stupid thing I've ever read.

Dougal Maguire

It's quite funny though
Careful now

imtommygunn

Quote from: trailer on August 27, 2019, 03:18:33 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on August 27, 2019, 01:46:50 PM
Quote from: trailer on August 20, 2019, 10:17:56 AM
Hope everyone was watching BBC News report this morning on Scotland & NI farmers. All voted leave. All want to come out either with or without a deal. So don't tell me they didn't overwhelming vote to leave. Chickens coming home to roost. Be a few farms up for sale....

Spoke to a local farmer over the weekend and he told me that the UFU/DUP as he called them did roadshows/talks with farmers during the Brexit campaign in 2016 and the one he was at was headed by Edwin Poots who promised them their subsidies would be maintained through London and with new deals being struck around the world beef would rise to over £5 a kilo and milk prices would also rise as new deals would be struck with India and the likes.

No wonder they voted for it.

Nearly as fanciful as Boris' big bus.

No. No farmers voted to leave. And all of them are campaigning to remain. I've got it wrong. #GAABoardlogic

No one said no farmers voted to leave. You said all farmers voted to leave ;D

[Edit] In fact to be fair maybe you only said the majority of farmers then claimed to back it up with a BBC news article interviewing very few farmers and pontificating about how many farmers you talk to like you know every farmer here.#Trailerlogic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: trailer on August 27, 2019, 03:20:03 PM
This is the most stupid thing I've ever read.

I suppose if you don't read your own posts, then that'd explain why your still posting shite years after first joining.

i usse an speelchekor

Hereiam

Quote from: haranguerer on August 27, 2019, 02:53:40 PM
I saw something in the media a few years ago whihc I thought summed it up well re Brexit, nationalists/unionists and farming. It was a more in depth piece, and they visited some of the marts round Fermangh/Tyrone to speak to farmers. One farmer when asked about the nationalist/unionist dfferences, laid out that speaking very generally, the unionists had got the better land, and so weren't reliant on the payments from the EU to the same extent as the nationalists with worse land - indeed, the unionists were much more inclined to see the restrictions of the EU rather than their support, as being more relevant to them.

Just to tease this out a bit more
Alot of the higher/hilly/mountain ground would be owned by a majority of catholic farmers, as back in the day any that owned good ground were chased off it up to the hills. Now these guys scraped by on what they had while the good fertile ground owned by the imported settlers was producing good quality food to feed themselves and also enough to sell on.
Now roll on a couple of hundred years an all of a sudden here you have money coming from Europe paid out on the number of acres that you own, the catholic farmer over the years has been fencing off this hilly ground  as nobody else wanted it so has amassed a good few acres which now Europe is paying him to do nothing with. The protestant farmer is looking at this and he doesn't like what he is seeing so this is why you have alot of them voting to leave.
I believe word has been spread around the bigger protestant farmers that the brits are going to go back to the old way in which the farm payments were made which was you were paid on what animals you had and not the acres you owned. This will take alot of money away from the hill farmer and put it into the hands of the majority of protestant farmers. Now because of all this crap about the environment they will devise an environmental scheme that will pay peanuts to the hill farmer but will tick a box for the G8 summit.
I have noticed it already, few protestant farmers near me are building new sheds and has increased the cattle numbers, why would they be doing this if the shite is going to hit the fan

armaghniac

Quote from: Hereiam on August 27, 2019, 08:59:40 PM
I believe word has been spread around the bigger protestant farmers that the brits are going to go back to the old way in which the farm payments were made which was you were paid on what animals you had and not the acres you owned. This will take alot of money away from the hill farmer and put it into the hands of the majority of protestant farmers. Now because of all this crap about the environment they will devise an environmental scheme that will pay peanuts to the hill farmer but will tick a box for the G8 summit.
I have noticed it already, few protestant farmers near me are building new sheds and has increased the cattle numbers, why would they be doing this if the shite is going to hit the fan

Anyone that "knows" what way the British will support farming in the future should use their talent with lotto numbers.
Perhaps the Protestant farmers might also have given consideration that they wouldn't be under British rule at all, if they fecked up the place.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

screenexile

Constitutional outrage!!

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on August 27, 2019, 09:56:31 PM

Anyone that "knows" what way the British will support farming in the future should use their talent with lotto numbers.
Perhaps the Protestant farmers might also have given consideration that they wouldn't be under British rule at all, if they fecked up the place.

100 years of British rule have left Ulster at a similar GDP per head level to Connacht, far behind Munster and Leinster 

weareros

Quote from: seafoid on August 28, 2019, 11:45:47 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 27, 2019, 09:56:31 PM

100 years of British rule have left Ulster at a similar GDP per head level to Connacht, far behind Munster and Leinster

Actually the GDP of Connacht - while disadvantaged compared to rest of Ireland - is still higher than Northern Ireland.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/southern-part-of-ireland-third-richest-in-eu-but-west-lags-behind-1.3811364

Aaron Boone

Prorogue is the buzz word for today. And outrage.

J70

Surely there'll be an election now?

seafoid