Sean Cavanagh Retires.

Started by mrhardyannual, August 27, 2017, 09:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dire Ear

1-- Frank McGuigan
2-- Peter Canavan

Sandy Hill

Quote from: yellowcard on August 29, 2017, 04:44:53 PM
Surely Canavan is the best ever Tyrone player. Cavanagh was a powerful athlete and at his peak was near impossible to stop once he got into his stride. However Canavan in terms of pure footballing ability was out on his own. He carried Tyrone on his own for years when they had a fairly average group of players. That's not to take away from Cavanagh who was remarkably consistent over the period when Tyrone won 3 AI titles but he was lucky to come along at a time when Tyrone had a once in a generation group of players.

Iggy Jones anyone? Ask your father!
"Stercus accidit"

Fear ón Srath Bán

What a great servant for Tír Eoghain, from his days as an outstanding Minor to the days as an equally outstanding Senior, we're extremely indebted to this sporting icon, go raibh míle maith agat a Sheáin, and enjoy that retirement... Sláinte. 
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

rrhf

Canavan crowns them all lads. Duration and continuation through hard times and good. singleminded determination to bring Sam to Tyrone and he done it. He had all the skills and saw it through.
Jones, Mc kenna, Mc guigan sean and the legends of the noughties were all time Tyrone greats as well. I'd say the following:
Canavan
Mc guigan cavanagh Mc guigan and Dooher
Mc kenna, gormley, Jordan, o Neill, jones
Mc Menamen mulligan mc anallan
I expect the next Tyrone captain to be Colly cavanagh and if he leads us to the promised land he makes that list.

heffo

Top class player who had a fantastic career.

seafoid

I was listening to 2 injured swans by the sawdoctors.
To never have considered losing. As if to win was by your choosing

https://youtu.be/0ver0lMNMgw

That was what that team brought to Tyrone.
None of the romance of 95.

As that Donegal scribe said he will be remembered by his people
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Scarlet

The man was the driving force and really took up the mantle from Canavan and drove them on so many times. As noted even when he wasn't playing brilliantly he could lift his game just at the right time.
Any man that retires with a decent shout of being regarded as the greatest ever to wear his county colours has to be lauded.

Another thing is that having to come through Ulster each year meant he got a lot more 'attention' than the marquee players in the other provinces. That makes his longevity for a big man all the more impressive in my mind.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

illdecide

As an Armagh man i thought he was fantastic and one of the greatest players Tyrone have had, I've never actually met the man but he seems a right fella and any man that put's that amount of commitment to the cause for so long deserves all the credit he's getting. Yes, this last 2 seasons his legs could not do the same amount of work that he was used to but none the less he still contributed and i'd say his influence around the squad was priceless for the younger lads.

Best of luck on your retirement...

As for who was best i still think we Pete was the best player Tyrone ever had and probably ever, Stevie O'Neill was pure class too but kinda lost out a bit due to them bad knees and of course Sean Cavanangh for me is up at 2nd or 3rd place. I know Frank the Tank was some player and scored 11pts in one game but for me Pete and Sean are at the top.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

magpie seanie

Brilliant player who did it all for Tyrone and will go down as one of their and the game's all time greats. In our clubs greatest year, 2005, he joined us with Sam at our club dinner and it was a pleasure to meet him. Really incredible to have played for 16 years. Well done Seán and thanks for the memories.

tbrick18

A seriously good player, but for me nowhere near the top player in that team that came through the noughties.
Canavan, Dooher, Ricey, Gormley, McGinley, Stevie O'Neill and possibly mugsy all to my mind did more for Tyrone that Sean "not a man"  :P Cavanagh.

I dont think he deserves the eulogising about being a legend, at least not any more than the players mentioned above.

omagh_gael

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 30, 2017, 05:34:38 PM
A seriously good player, but for me nowhere near the top player in that team that came through the noughties.
Canavan, Dooher, Ricey, Gormley, McGinley, Stevie O'Neill and possibly mugsy all to my mind did more for Tyrone that Sean "not a man"  :P Cavanagh.

I dont think he deserves the eulogising about being a legend, at least not any more than the players mentioned above.

D- effort there, surely there are better trolling efforts out there?

Main Street

Considering that list of modern Tyrone legends, young Sean did well to not just hold his own in 2003-05 but also stand beside them as a legend.
Personally i'm reluctant to call him big Sean because i'm taller than him.
I might not want to shake his hand because I'd be on the floor in a flash, yellow carded to boot. Referees might now have a fond glance at the ear buds in the their kit bag, reminiscing on those Tyrone match days when such apparel was essential when Sean was playing. Despite all that, he had all the football ability and inspiring leadership that you'd want in your midfielder (the rugby tackle was a bonus).

I hope his voice breaks soon.

WT4E

I won't miss the way he says 'the guys' all the time

T Fearon

I'm not saying Mc Guigan wasn't a great player,but he was hardly a great servant for Tyrone,spending many years in the states in his prime.Did he really ever have a great game or impact on Tyrone,apart from the 11 points in 1984 Ulster Final? The likes of Mc Kenna,Mc Cabe,Donaghy gave Tyrone much greater service

tbrick18

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 30, 2017, 08:36:26 PM

D- effort there, surely there are better trolling efforts out there?

??
All I'm saying is that there wasn't the same amount of talk around those other players when they retired, and in my opinion, they all had a greater impact on that Tyrone team than Cavanagh did.
I started my post by saying he was A seriously good player.
Not sure how any of that is trolling, it's just opinion.