All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on September 18, 2017, 12:05:10 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 18, 2017, 12:01:22 AM
Quote from: thejuice on September 17, 2017, 11:54:43 PM
I think Mayo left that one behind. That goal chance that was kicked straight at Cluxton and the stupid sending off swung it back in Dublins favour. It's those kind of things that would win it for them. I think they set out a good template for how you beat Dublin but you have to get all the small things right.

What about the countless goal chances Dublin missed? I count at least three! Losing teams always get their mistakes highlighted! Vaughan was stupid, but so was Small.

At least Small did it while the ball was in play and not in front of the ref. Stupidest and most costly red card I've seen in my lifetime.

Agreed, one would guess he's not feel the most clever this evening!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: The Bearded One on September 17, 2017, 11:06:02 PM
Did anyone notice Lee Keegan fire something at the ball just as Rock struck the winning free? Kilkenny noticed this and ran straight at him which led to his black card. During this commotion Keegan picked up the object and handed it to Tony McEntee who put it in his pocket. It was a completely shitty  act from a player I admire massively.

Thy Kingdom Come

12 week intercounty ban is the only answer!  ;D

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 18, 2017, 12:08:37 AM
Quote from: The Bearded One on September 17, 2017, 11:06:02 PM
Did anyone notice Lee Keegan fire something at the ball just as Rock struck the winning free? Kilkenny noticed this and ran straight at him which led to his black card. During this commotion Keegan picked up the object and handed it to Tony McEntee who put it in his pocket. It was a completely shitty  act from a player I admire massively.

It was his GPS unit..

MayomaninRos

Quote from: Syferus on September 17, 2017, 06:39:00 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on September 17, 2017, 06:37:29 PM
Thanks. That's a bad rule though. Rewards the foul.
It's a rule that's used just fine in nearly every other field sport.

In soccer if a foul commences outside the penalty box but continues inside the area it is a penalty. Not sure what the rule is in GAA however I suspect were it at the other end a penalty would have been awarded

MayomaninRos

Quote from: Itchy on September 17, 2017, 07:01:11 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 17, 2017, 06:53:52 PM
That might be the toughest one of all for Mayo to take. Dubs rattled. McCaffrey off injured very early. Mayo on top in midfield. Dublin kickouts going astray. About to go down to 14 men. Seemed to be all set up for them at that point.

Even after that they had the one on one with Cluxton that was missed. COC missing the free to put them one ahead as the clock turned 70. Clarke landing the final kickout over the sideline allowing Dublin to play keep ball for last 2 minutes.

A lot of regrets to take out of one game today.

Don't be talking sense man, it's Dublin Joes fault!

Nice of you to defend your countyman but the reality is that he is a very poor referee. He has continually shown this yet for some reason continues to get big games. Hopefully today was his last AI.

BallyroanAbu

Don't think the referee impacted that much,  two teams not much between them but Dubin have the confidence of perennial winners while Mayo have the opposite.  That is huge issue to overcome

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 18, 2017, 12:07:47 AM
I think Mayo left that one behind. That goal chance that was kicked straight at Cluxton and the stupid sending off swung it back in Dublins favour. It's those kind of things that would win it for them. I think they set out a good template for how you beat Dublin but you have to get all the small things right.

What about the countless goal chances Dublin missed? I count at least three! Losing teams always get their mistakes highlighted! Vaughan was stupid, but so was Small.

At least Small did it while the ball was in play and not in front of the ref. Stupidest and most costly red card I've seen in my lifetime.

Agreed, one would guess he's not feel the most clever this evening!

Look, I made no secret of the fact that I never rated Vaughan or his macho approach to covering for the fact he was a poor defender (and it cost Mayo a couple of points even today, he was the one who ran into Kilkenny to give away the free before half-time IIRC), but you can't help but feel sorry for him. Costing your team a game is one thing, but costing Mayo their eleventh AI final in a row is Shakespearean in its tragedy. No one will know that more than Vaughan himself.

omaghjoe

The Armagh ones reckon Diarmuid Marsden's

rrhf

tonto1888

Vaughans was a lot more stupid than smalls

tonto1888

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 18, 2017, 03:52:14 AM

Undeserved rather than stupid

Kurtz

I don't think they did
Dublin had plenty of time to win it even if they had conceded that goal
The ref was in no rush to blow that game up

doodaa

Quote from: regal on September 17, 2017, 10:31:49 PM
Donal Vaughan typifies the stupidity of this mayo team and why they will surely not win an AI. Beyond stupid.

Saying that, most of the mayo team were outstanding today. Many of the lesser know known players have been heroic all year - Barrett, McLaughlin, Doherty, parsons etc.

Some of the dispossessions/ tackles by Barrett were absolutely top drawer!

stew

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 18, 2017, 03:52:14 AM

Vaughans was self inflicted, Marsdens was an absolute disgrace and should never have happened, wouldn't have happened but for a dodgy referee.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.