all ireland football qualifiers 2017.

Started by cornetto, April 19, 2017, 07:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tippabu

Quote from: seafoid on June 26, 2017, 08:40:01 PM
Tipp are surely better than Cavan

Presently im going to say no. From last years team we dont have evan comerford in goal (suspended) and peter acheson (abroad) both all star nominees and both unlucky to miss out....quinlivan is almost certainly going to miss out on this too and we are down massive numbers in terms of injuries, even if we do have some of these back they are going to be thrown in at the deep end with little preparation or competitive play under their belts. We won division 3 this year which was amazing, I was at every match and we put together some spells where we played well but in the main our performances were really poor throughout. I honestly dont know how good cavan really are, im imagining they will up their level significantly for this game from the offaly one, different mentality from playing a team who just survived in division 3 this year to one who have a reputation after last year and winning division 3 this. Its a match ill be travelling to hoping cavan are worse than i thought or maybe we could reach a level we havent to date this year

The Subbie

Quote from: Schkite on June 26, 2017, 02:37:21 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 26, 2017, 01:21:39 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 26, 2017, 12:50:17 PM
Banty and McElkennon were a very positive influence on Monaghan county football in those dark times of div 4 stagnancy and I have a lot of respect for him.
Since Banty departed, Monaghan have been mostly poor in the qualifiers, handing Offaly a very rare championship win one year, beaten by Laos another year and then some other team last year.
Anything can happen this year in Wexford.

Is it an attitude thing?

There's no way in hell that Monaghan should have been beaten by Longford last year, especially when Longford then limped out against Cork, whom Monaghan would very probably have beaten.

Although I would have said the same about Down beating Monaghan on Saturday. But at least with Down, they now have the opportunity to prove it wasn't just a case of them catching Monaghan on the hop.

I think having the 2 tough games with Donegal then only a week to regroup for a game Longford team was a big factor, but there was definitely an attitude problem aswell. They must have been over confident and didn't prepare for a battle, and once Longford got on top our boys didn't have the appetite for a fight back. I'd hope that experience would guard against any sort of complacency but then I thought that for the Down game too!

It's a banana skin for our first qualifier, but if we can get over that hurdle I think we can get back to the quarter finals and give it a crack. But we need to have the stomach for the back door this time, we certainly didn't last year.

Of course it's attitude.
In terms of time and €€€€ this is probably one of the best prepared county teams that Monaghan have ever sent out.
Then they make a balls of it.
Again.

The bit about been beat by Down is hard to take but good luck to them , they were the Bette team on the day.
The bit that I am more annoyed about is that investec are and have pumped a lot of money into the county and that is stArting to show in the crop of young players starting to come through.
To keep that good it we will need Investec to keep puming money in.

Do you honestly think Investec will want to associate their brand with a hapless bunch that don't mentally prepare and are a byword from for failure?

Main Street

Quote from: The Subbie on June 26, 2017, 10:27:24 PM
Quote from: Schkite on June 26, 2017, 02:37:21 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 26, 2017, 01:21:39 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 26, 2017, 12:50:17 PM
Banty and McElkennon were a very positive influence on Monaghan county football in those dark times of div 4 stagnancy and I have a lot of respect for him.
Since Banty departed, Monaghan have been mostly poor in the qualifiers, handing Offaly a very rare championship win one year, beaten by Laos another year and then some other team last year.
Anything can happen this year in Wexford.

Is it an attitude thing?

There's no way in hell that Monaghan should have been beaten by Longford last year, especially when Longford then limped out against Cork, whom Monaghan would very probably have beaten.

Although I would have said the same about Down beating Monaghan on Saturday. But at least with Down, they now have the opportunity to prove it wasn't just a case of them catching Monaghan on the hop.

I think having the 2 tough games with Donegal then only a week to regroup for a game Longford team was a big factor, but there was definitely an attitude problem aswell. They must have been over confident and didn't prepare for a battle, and once Longford got on top our boys didn't have the appetite for a fight back. I'd hope that experience would guard against any sort of complacency but then I thought that for the Down game too!

It's a banana skin for our first qualifier, but if we can get over that hurdle I think we can get back to the quarter finals and give it a crack. But we need to have the stomach for the back door this time, we certainly didn't last year.

Of course it's attitude.
In terms of time and €€€€ this is probably one of the best prepared county teams that Monaghan have ever sent out.
Then they make a balls of it.
Again.

The bit about been beat by Down is hard to take but good luck to them , they were the Bette team on the day.
The bit that I am more annoyed about is that investec are and have pumped a lot of money into the county and that is stArting to show in the crop of young players starting to come through.
To keep that good it we will need Investec to keep puming money in.

Do you honestly think Investec will want to associate their brand with a hapless bunch that don't mentally prepare and are a byword from for failure?

i'd agree it's attitude but I think the complacency card is played too often, a catch all reason why Monaghan have failed when strong favorites.
Banty had a good record at dragging the team off the floor after a failure and getting them focused on the next challenge.
Malachy has to do the same.

I wonder would Banty have preferred another team? ;D     Thnk fck Matty Forde has retired.

Horse Box

Quote from: tippabu on June 26, 2017, 09:47:11 PM

Presently im going to say no. From last years team we dont have evan comerford in goal (suspended) and peter acheson (abroad) both all star nominees and both unlucky to miss out....quinlivan is almost certainly going to miss out on this too and we are down massive numbers in terms of injuries, even if we do have some of these back they are going to be thrown in at the deep end with little preparation or competitive play under their belts. We won division 3 this year which was amazing, I was at every match and we put together some spells where we played well but in the main our performances were really poor throughout. I honestly dont know how good cavan really are, im imagining they will up their level significantly for this game from the offaly one, different mentality from playing a team who just survived in division 3 this year to one who have a reputation after last year and winning division 3 this. Its a match ill be travelling to hoping cavan are worse than i thought or maybe we could reach a level we havent to date this year

Jack Kennedy , Willie Connors , Kevin Fahey are okay . Quinlivan and Ian Fahey could feature from what I hear , not all doom and gloom  8) !

illdecide

With Quinlivan Tipp have a shout as the man is pure class but if he's not in the Tipp team I believe Cavan will win this game comfortable enough, Cavan are decent and will be hard to beat.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

tippabu

Quote from: Horse Box on June 26, 2017, 11:01:35 PM
Quote from: tippabu on June 26, 2017, 09:47:11 PM

Jack Kennedy , Willie Connors , Kevin Fahey are okay . Quinlivan and Ian Fahey could feature from what I hear , not all doom and gloom  8) !

Austin too......dobt think quinlivan will be anywhere near ready, maybe last resort 10 minutes if needed. My big worry is these lads being thrown into a tough game without any real football under their belts, it's not easy to just turn it on and get back into the pace of it. Will take a serious performance but we are capable

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: mrdeeds on June 26, 2017, 03:37:18 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 26, 2017, 03:24:10 PM
At least you're still drinking. We have to leave now. G'Luck.

Why did McNamee not start? Jaysus he's a huge physical player.

Was a fabulous player but doesn't have the legs anymore. A good option though when the pace of the game slows down towards the end.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Itchy

Quote from: mrdeeds on June 26, 2017, 03:37:18 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 26, 2017, 03:24:10 PM
At least you're still drinking. We have to leave now. G'Luck.

Why did McNamee not start? Jaysus he's a huge physical player.

He may not have been fit to start but he shouldve got more than 10 mins. A lad like him floating around FF/HF line looping around the back with the wind behind him couldve done serious damage

seafoid

Carlos must be in with a great chance against Leitrim. That would give them at least 5 matches which would be some achievement for the county.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Taylor

Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2017, 11:55:21 AM
Carlos must be in with a great chance against Leitrim. That would give them at least 5 matches which would be some achievement for the county.

It would be a case of money well spent then considering their outlay this season

tippabu

ALL-STAR FORWARD Michael Quinlivan will miss out on Tipperary's All-Ireland SFC Round 2B qualifier clash with Cavan at Kingspan Breffni Park on Saturday week.

Coach/selector Shane Stapleton has confirmed that Quinlivan won't have recovered in time from the ankle ligament damage sustained in the Munster semi-final loss to Cork – while corner back Shane O'Connell is also unavailable after he picked up a stress fracture in his foot in the same game.

On the plus side, midfielder Jack Kennedy is back in training while Kevin and Ian Fahey from Clonmel Commercials have resumed light work.

Emmett Moloney is also back in contention for a starting place but Willie Connors was injured on U21 hurling duty with Tipperary against Limerick last week, and is another absentee.

Tipperary's backroom staff are also monitoring the fitness of Liam Casey, Robbie Kiely, Bill Maher and Liam Boland, who picked up knocks in the Cork game.

Stapleton explained that mentors have adopted a "cautious" approach with those four players, while former International Rules player Ciarán McDonald is a long-term casualty with a recurrence of his long-standing hip problems.

There's also concern over former senior hurling panellist and 2016 All-Ireland winner Kieran Bergin, who hasn't trained since the Cork game due to a hand infection.

Quinlivan's loss during the Cork game was a fatal blow to Tipp's chances of winning at Páirc Uí Rinn, as the team was deprived of a lethal forward option from the 19th minute.

As the hosts gained a firm stranglehold around the middle of the field in the second half, Quinlivan could also have provided a calming influence in this sector, with his high-fielding ability.

Stapleton explained: "Michael is the silent assassin. He doesn't say a whole lot in the dressing room but when he does come up with something, it's A1 and perfect stuff.

"He's a big kick-out option and even if he's not playing well, opponents will play two on him or a sweeper and change their team up to counteract him.

"We have to take it on the chin and if we could get a win against Cavan, he might make the next game.

"Hopefully his season won't be over for us but we have quality there. Conor Sweeney is playing well and Liam Boland.

"We'll put the shoulder to the wheel now and see if we can get four or five of the six forwards flying. If we do that, we'll take stopping up there."

Tipp's trip to Cavan will revive memories of their famous qualifier victory over Derry at the same venue in last summer's campaign.

But Stapleton admits that drawing Cavan on their home patch is a difficult task.

He said: "We expected it, to be honest, the way things were going.

"We nearly expected Armagh away, for a repeat of the promotion decider.

"We're not surprised. At no stage did we think we'd get a home draw against one of the Division 4 sides, it's just the way the year has gone.

"We knew we'd have another big challenge to face. It's back up to where the journey was last year in Cavan. We have good memories from there and it might revive our season again."

tippabu

Above article highlights concerns and reasoning behind Cavan being such big favourites with bookies

rosnarun

so  Quinlivan is definitely playing then
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Fuzzman

Just looking at the draw there and the 4th round could be a very interesting draw.
I'd say Monaghan, Cavan(sorry Tipp) and Armagh are the three strongest teams in the B side of the draw.
With 2 from them coming through to play the losers of Ulster and Leinster then the draw could be complicated with Down (who may or may not lose Ulster) have already played Armagh and Monaghan and so aren't meant to meet again but may have to.
However, I think Cavan, who were in Div 1 this year, would avoid Monaghan in round 3 and could make it through to round 4.

I can see round 4 draw looking like this
Kildare v Monaghan
Down v Cavan/Armagh

Of course Tyrone could lose the Ulster final and make it much easier for the draw.

Main Street

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 28, 2017, 02:59:44 PM
Just looking at the draw there and the 4th round could be a very interesting draw.
I'd say Monaghan, Cavan(sorry Tipp) and Armagh are the three strongest teams in the B side of the draw.
With 2 from them coming through to play the losers of Ulster and Leinster then the draw could be complicated with Down (who may or may not lose Ulster) have already played Armagh and Monaghan and so aren't meant to meet again but may have to.
However, I think Cavan, who were in Div 1 this year, would avoid Monaghan in round 3 and could make it through to round 4.

I can see round 4 draw looking like this
Kildare v Monaghan
Down v Cavan/Armagh

Of course Tyrone could lose the Ulster final and make it much easier for the draw.
If Monaghan and Armagh prevail in the B side and Down are the beaten Ulster finalists,
then how would Down's opponent be selected?
Pistols at dawn, the long straw or alphabetically?