Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

theskull1

It constitutes a depressing reality amongst tribal groupings when one side showed zero respect and vile hatred to the opposition from the get go. There is always going to be a reaction sadly. Surely you're not blind to that dynamic? I'm sensing faux outrage if I'm honest. The hatefest started back in Belfast. Id have loved to have seen Celtic fans rise above it cause aping apes only keeps it going
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

MoChara

That banner with the Volunteer is pathetic to be honest just a cheap effort at riling "the other side". What the f**k does Brendan Rodgers or a Football match have to do with the IRA.

I often agree with the expressions of a political opinion at Celtic Park, but only so far as there's a point and a cause behind it.

T Fearon

I have to admit there was sectarian chanting from the green brigade last night.I do wish so called Celtic supporters would not stoop to the same level as bigots like Linfield,even though the provocation was severe.Also I wish the political crap was dispensed with.What has it got to do with Celtic Football Club.

tonto1888

Quote from: T Fearon on July 20, 2017, 08:40:47 AM
I have to admit there was sectarian chanting from the green brigade last night.I do wish so called Celtic supporters would not stoop to the same level as bigots like Linfield,even though the provocation was severe.Also I wish the political crap was dispensed with.What has it got to do with Celtic Football Club.

What were they chanting Tony? The no protestants line? Or something else

screenexile

Wee Seamie Bwyson has a video of them singing the broad black brimmer . . . It's disappointing you'd expect Celtic to rise above the nonsense of 1500 or so lads from Belfast. The banner was stupidity as well. The supporters talk about being the best fans in Europe but last night's match shows they still have a long way to go!

T Fearon

Tonto that line sadly was sung as part of the On the one road song.I know there was provocation in the extreme after the first leg,it's a pity the Celtic fans responded.

general_lee

Quote from: michaelg on July 19, 2017, 07:12:48 PM
Quote from: general_lee on July 19, 2017, 12:45:24 PM
Quote from: Hectic on July 19, 2017, 11:25:38 AM
Quote from: michaelg on July 19, 2017, 07:21:07 AM
Quote from: red hander on July 18, 2017, 10:50:37 PM
Quote from: michaelg on July 18, 2017, 09:11:32 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on July 18, 2017, 09:10:45 AM
I don't know why anyone would believe that Windsor could be anything other than poisonous, it always will be no matter what the IFA say, its in the blood.
The match the other day had noting to do with the IFA.  It was a Linfield match.

Exact same people turn up to watch Are We A Country.
They don't.  Chances are the fuckwits there last Friday were not even Linfield fans.  Also, NI fanbase is not necessarily made up of folk who go and watch the Irish League clubs, let alone Linfield.  Sadly, the fixture ran the risk of attracting a minority of scumbags intent on causing bother.

Yeah look it is always the hangers on that you will see the worst from.  The majority stopped at sectarianism and racism.
Not with Linfield. They've a right amount of scumbags that follow them. Home and away. Can't blame that on a few c***ts that latch on every time there's a big game.
Linfield, and Cliftonville, both have the problem of the "2 games a season fans" who rock up to sing sectarian songs at each other.
So when they travel to Portadown and attack a Catholic pub, is that the fault of Cliftonvile? Or when they assault GAA fans in Portadown train station? Also Cliftonville? Linfield are largely supported by scumbags. I've sat in the family section at Windsor and have heard sectarian abuse directed at the opposition management. I've met manys a decent rangers fan but Linfield supporters are a different breed

general_lee

Can't be too happy with the GB last night. UEFA will fine and rightfully so. I'm all for creating atmosphere and intimidating the opposition but singing sectarian songs is not the way to do it. Shameful

tonto1888

Quote from: T Fearon on July 20, 2017, 08:40:47 AM
Stupid stupid stupid. I hope it was only because of the oppositions fans behaviour in Belfast - not that thy makes it ok - and that way of thinking isn't gonna creep back in

Kilkevan

Quote from: MoChara on July 20, 2017, 08:33:11 AM
That banner with the Volunteer is pathetic to be honest just a cheap effort at riling "the other side". What the f**k does Brendan Rodgers or a Football match have to do with the IRA.

I often agree with the expressions of a political opinion at Celtic Park, but only so far as there's a point and a cause behind it.

The banner with Rodgers was witty in the context. I think the Green Brigade shot themselves in the foot with the one of the Volunteer though. I don't disagree with them expressing a political opinion and I dispute that a drawing of a Volunteer is sectarian, Republicanism has never been anti-Protestant in the way Loyalism has been and is overtly anti-Catholic. A banner like that is only ever going to end in tears with the sanitised organisation of UEFA (actually horrendously corrupt but likes to think of itself as sanitised). They may, may, have gotten away with the Rodgers one without the Volunteer.

Now in terms of the singing, The Broad Black Brimmer is not a sectarian song. It's political but nowhere does it refer to Protestantism/Orangeism and putting it into the same bracket as "up to our necks in Fenian blood" is horsesh1t. Again with the sanitary towel that is UEFA it's likely to end up causing Celtic problems but personally I don't think it should; UEFA would want to look into it's own dark cupboards before it starts giving off about anyone else anyway but that's not how it works with them unfortunately.

Now if anyone engaged in overtly anti-sectarian singing, as some have stated, like "no Orange b*******" then Celtic should make an example of those people, find them and ban them for life. As a Republican, I find it abhorrent that there are those who hijack Republicanism for their own racist means. True Republicanism is not sectarian in nature and in fact the founder of modern Irish Republicanism, as well as many other of the greatest Irish Republicans, were Protestants themselves.

Applesisapples

I don't know why anyone would believe that Windsor could be anything other than poisonous, it always will be no matter what the IFA say, its in the blood.
The match the other day had noting to do with the IFA.  It was a Linfield match.
Did i say it was? comment still stands on the sectarian cesspit.

MoChara

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 20, 2017, 10:26:05 AM

The banner with Rodgers was witty in the context. I think the Green Brigade shot themselves in the foot with the one of the Volunteer though. I don't disagree with them expressing a political opinion and I dispute that a drawing of a Volunteer is sectarian, Republicanism has never been anti-Protestant in the way Loyalism has been and is overtly anti-Catholic. A banner like that is only ever going to end in tears with the sanitised organisation of UEFA (actually horrendously corrupt but likes to think of itself as sanitised). They may, may, have gotten away with the Rodgers one without the Volunteer.

Now in terms of the singing, The Broad Black Brimmer is not a sectarian song. It's political but nowhere does it refer to Protestantism/Orangeism and putting it into the same bracket as "up to our necks in Fenian blood" is horsesh1t. Again with the sanitary towel that is UEFA it's likely to end up causing Celtic problems but personally I don't think it should; UEFA would want to look into it's own dark cupboards before it starts giving off about anyone else anyway but that's not how it works with them unfortunately.

Now if anyone engaged in overtly anti-sectarian singing, as some have stated, like "no Orange b*******" then Celtic should make an example of those people, find them and ban them for life. As a Republican, I find it abhorrent that there are those who hijack Republicanism for their own racist means. True Republicanism is not sectarian in nature and in fact the founder of modern Irish Republicanism, as well as many other of the greatest Irish Republicans, were Protestants themselves.

The Rodgers banner is grand as far as I'm concerned a bit tongue in cheek, its the fact they thought to put a Vol along side it that irks me, not that I deem it sectarian which on its own merit, it isn't, but disagree for the motives of using it to wind people up. Republicanism by its very nature cannot be Sectarian otherwise it is not Republicanism.

Main Street

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 20, 2017, 10:32:35 AM
Did i say it was? comment still stands on the sectarian cesspit.

ned

Quote from: MoChara on July 20, 2017, 10:49:43 AM

The Rodgers banner is grand as far as I'm concerned a bit tongue in cheek, its the fact they thought to put a Vol along side it that irks me, not that I deem it sectarian which on its own merit, it isn't, but disagree for the motives of using it to wind people up. Republicanism by its very nature cannot be Sectarian otherwise it is not Republicanism.

Broadly agree. However, if posters here are going by hearsay and were not actually at the match make sure you get your facts right as to what was sung or not sung. If whole stadium was singing add ons, fair enough but I've heard plenty who were at the match saying they heard no such thing. The banners were okay in my book and f**k off with calling certain songs sectarian when they clearly are not

Kilkevan

Quote from: MoChara on July 20, 2017, 10:49:43 AM

I agree 100%. I have no issues personally with the banner of the Volunteer but a football stadium isn't the place for it. Also, as you say, using it to wind people up isn't really on as whether you supported militant Republicanism or not, the Troubles left a lot of scars and the overwhelming majority of (real) Republicans don't glorify the violent side (before people jump up and down about rebel songs etc. the vast majority are about remembering fallen comrades). The banner with the Volunteer was unnecessary and actually cheapened the humour of the Rodgers "sniper" and "undefeated army" banners.