Total Members Voted: 69

michaelg

Quote from: stew on June 25, 2017, 03:52:47 PM
Quote from: michaelg on June 25, 2017, 09:27:54 AM
Quote from: stew on June 24, 2017, 11:24:12 PM
Quote from: michaelg on June 24, 2017, 09:56:08 PM
Quote from: stew on June 24, 2017, 05:12:38 PM
Quote from: Targetman on June 24, 2017, 02:27:17 PM
They don't want their fans "hurt", would you wise up its not a bunch of primary school kids we're talking about!

Their fans once ran on to the field and broke the leg of a Celtic player you idiot,!

These are hate driven arseholes Celtic are dealing with, two days after the 12th of July, are you kidding me?

Celtic will not take up their ticket allocation for next month's possible Champions League qualifier at Linfield.

Uefa confirmed the first-leg tie in Belfast will take place on Friday 14 July should the Northern Irish champions make it past the San Marino club La Fiorita.

Celtic and Linfield face prospect of Champions League clash on marching day
Read more
The original dates would have taken Celtic to Belfast at the height of the marching season on 11 or 12 July. That sparked fears of trouble among the club's supporters and Linfield's loyalist fans.

After talks with the Police Service of Northern Ireland, it has been decided to move the match to 14 July, with a 5pm kick-off. But Celtic have decided the potential for disorder is still too big a risk and will not invite their travelling support to attend.

Celtic said: "Following security concerns raised by the Police Service of Northern Ireland, Celtic has taken part in discussions with Linfield and the PSNI over recent days. While there can be an option to reverse the fixtures if both clubs agree, during discussions Linfield made it clear that they did not wish to reverse the tie and they wanted to play their home leg first.

"In addition, as is often the case in football, Celtic's football management team wished to play our away leg first so that we could benefit from the advantage of playing the second leg at home in front of our supporters at Celtic Park for this crucial European tie.

"Following the discussions, it was agreed among the clubs and PSNI and has now been confirmed with Uefa that, should Linfield progress to the second qualifying round, Celtic's Uefa Champions League match against Linfield will take place at Windsor Park on Friday, 14 July, with a 5pm kick-off.

"No tickets will be available for Celtic supporters. The safety and security of all Celtic supporters travelling and attending matches is of paramount importance to the club.

"Should La Fiorita of San Marino qualify for the next round, the first leg match would take place on 11 or 12 July.

"Regardless of opposition, Celtic's home leg of this qualifying round will take place at Celtic Park on Wednesday, 19 July."
It was 69 years ago ffs.

I stand corrected, their modern day support are tolerant, non catholic hating  men and women of reason!

Tube!
By the same rationale then, would you recommend Celtic take the  same action if they drew Liverpool in the Champions  League?  After all, 39 fans died after the actions of Liverpoll fans 32 years ago at Heysel.

No I would not recommend that at all, Liverpool do not have a century of hatred in their club, Linfield do, see the difference?????

I do not know were you are from, nor do I care, but I grew up in the north and I have seen first hand the hate Linfield are capable of, I have never seen sevco but they are said to be very bad as well, I would never go to see either team play, why sit through  a hatefest when you can watch the game from the comfort of your own home in full knowledge that you will not be atacked, have stones thrown at you or have other such nastiness happen to you, I would not give Linfield one penny of my money and I would never trust their support no matter who is playing for them nowadays.
No, you're right, no big deal, Liverpool's fans' actions only resulted in the death of 32 football fans.
So, you wouldn't go to an Old Firm  game then?  In my opinion, Linfield vs Celtic would be similar to Rangers (Or Sevco as you insist on calling them) vs Celtic match.  Indeed, arguably an Old Firm match would have a more charged atmosphere given the huge rivalry between the 2 clubs.
I am not a Linfield fan by the way.  I just think it's a shame that the media jumped all over this when the  potential tie came out of the hat.

T Fearon

It was inevitable this would happen.Healy didnt help matters by speculating even before draw was made that Linfield could rely on a lot of away support in Glasgow should the tie come to pass.

Sadly this tie will be remembered for all the wrong reasons.

michaelg

Quote from: T Fearon on June 25, 2017, 09:11:57 PM
It was inevitable this would happen.Healy didnt help matters by speculating even before draw was made that Linfield could rely on a lot of away support in Glasgow should the tie come to pass.

Sadly this tie will be remembered for all the wrong reasons.
Big f**king deal.  Even if some Rangers fans did go to the fixture in Glasgow, how is this different from them attending an Old Firm game? 

Hectic

Try coming into the real world for a while. The worst elements will attend both matches on a free ticket to act the gype. Yes given we had pitch invaded and golf balls thrown at our players the last time we were at Ibrox it will take a bit of beating. But is akin to someone going to a fancy dress party and playing up to a whole new level. If folk were going to watch their team play Celtic the focus would be on seeing their team stick it to Celtic with the rest as decoration. Going to watch Celtic play another team where there will be no hope of a victory will be an exercise in provocation, destruction and hate only. There is the difference.

T Fearon

The big deal here is the biggest club in Scotland not feeling able to let its fans attend a game in another City in the "U.K",at a venue which hosts international football.This is all the more ironic given that this same Scottish club appeared in the same City,at a smaller ground,four years ago with no trouble whatsoever.

Healy was insinuating that Rangers and Linfield were "first cousins" and the comment was unnecessary and inflammatory,not to mention laughable as at the height of the troubles Rangers refused to let any of their players play for a Scottish League select against an Irish League select at Windsor Park,due to safety fears,incurring the wrath of the Linfield board at the time,who issued a statement at the time appealing to their fans never to go and watch Rangers in Scotland again!😂😂

tonto1888

I would buy this stance from the board if they had done he same thing when we went to Israel, not too far from the Gaza Strip. If they had done he same thing when we went to turkey a week after a bomb on the metro. If they had done the same thing when we went back to Ajax, after some of our fans did actually get injured the previous year. This is about saving themselves from a potential UEFA ban. Nothing more

T Fearon

I agree.They simply dont want to risk the name of the club or any blame being attached due to the inevitability of sectarianism at Windsor Park.

I think it is a wise move.This will be a one sided game,a couple of goals will do,quieten the natives, and just get it over and done with.

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on June 25, 2017, 12:42:33 PM
https://youtu.be/B9tatN3UTJk

This is why I believe Celtic are correct in not accepting tickets for this game in Belfast
For once I agree with you Irish League football and the IFA is still plagued by anti catholic bigotry.

Hectic

Yeah I support the idea as well - it would be a bad day if we got as far as pitched battles but still getting implicated in a sectarian sing-a-long in the eyes of UEFA is not what we need right now.  I remember that night in November when the then NI manager was orchestrating the Windsor crowd and the level of bile coming from the stands to make me have no appetite to head there for a game that will be defined in too many minds along religious/sectarian lines.

Main Street

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 26, 2017, 10:06:26 AM

For once I agree with you Irish League football and the IFA is still plagued by anti catholic bigotry.
Shamrock Rovers trounced Linfield twice at that time at home in Tallaght and away in Belfast.
That You Tube video is evidence of nothing.
Linfield fans at Tallaght are shown as being raucous with quite a few absolutely fluttered and legless, doing a half hearted attempt to celebrate a goal by a few running onto the sidelines and a rendition of the sash. The Gardai and security dealt with everything in a calm orderly respectful manner.
What was of concern at that time was the return game at Windsor Pk where trouble broke out between fans and loyalist press banner headlined "sectarian violence" and blamed Rovers' fans.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/sectarian-violence-erupts-at-windsor-park-during-linfield-clash-with-shamrock-rovers-29123445.html

But it could be said that Linfield fans behaved better at Tallaght than Rovers' fans did at Windsor Pk.
The fear is that Celtic fans at Windsor Pk would be dragged into something similar and bring the club into disrepute

Hectic

Indeed Main St and as I have said before it would not necessarily be the every week attending Linfield fans that will be the biggest problem but rather the day trippers for this game.

ashman

The Irish league is ranked 47 and San Marino is ranked 53 of 53. The Irish league teams have been poor these last few years and are generally poorly prepared .  The San Marino team have a chance here I would think . Neither then or Linfield are world beaters .

T Fearon

Linfield 2/11 to win at home this week.Crusaders got through a round in Champs League last year.

red hander

Any price on the size of the fine Uefa will hit Linfield with for sectarian chanting/banners?

michaelg

Quote from: red hander on June 26, 2017, 05:12:26 PM
Any price on the size of the fine Uefa will hit Linfield with for sectarian chanting/banners?
Probably similar to what Celtic get fined, pretty much on an annual basis.