Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethan Tremblay

Another ETH issue I would have would be his reluctance to go for the established Premier league players such as Kane/Rice, instead, opting for Hojlund, untested and too young to carry a team.  A question Scholes and ferdinand brought up last night. 

Perhaps squad wage budgets wouldn't have allowed for Kane to join, but the question certainly needs asked
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

AustinPowers

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on December 13, 2023, 11:22:46 AMAnother ETH issue I would have would be his reluctance to go for the established Premier league players such as Kane/Rice, instead, opting for Hojlund, untested and too young to carry a team.  A question Scholes and ferdinand brought up last night. 

Perhaps squad wage budgets wouldn't have allowed for Kane to join, but the question certainly needs asked

The absolute state of that United  squad prevented  Kane  from signing.

J70

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 13, 2023, 11:20:18 AMAll set up for a United win at Anfield on Sunday!!!  Nothing to lose,  pressure off,  all pressure on LFC we table toppers...United will take great pleasure in being party poopers!!

In both games last year, the form team coming in lost. The OT game at the start of the season, days after United were hammered at Brentford, relaunched Rashford. And United went to Anfield with one defeat in 11 games, just won the LC and knocked Barcelona out in Europe, while Liverpool were hopelessly inconsistent.

Armagh18

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on December 13, 2023, 10:35:14 AMDo betting men not always bet against Europe's league teams playing at the weekend after a Thursday outing?
The fear of getting beat last night competency nullified any minimal prospect they had of scoring. Liverpool game will be another murder picture.
In fairness to ETH, no-one expected the Sancho situation to arise or Rashford going off the boil so quickly. Never mind  the injury list. Fellas under some serious pressure and with Ratcliffe rumours of a clear out surfacing. I don't envy him one bit
As long as Liverpool is under 2 nil I'd say most fans be happy enough to be brutally honest; thats how much the standards have dropped. In fairness now a lot of people said when Rasford gets his new deal he'll go back to being shite, but it would have took a brave man to let him go in the summer. Sancho was another club call, should have known about his discipline issues and not signed him but I suppose it's easy to say that in hindsight.

They must be tempted to get that Greenwood p***k back in, let the protestors protest and cry. Badly need goals and I don't see where else they'll come from. 

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on December 13, 2023, 11:22:46 AMAnother ETH issue I would have would be his reluctance to go for the established Premier league players such as Kane/Rice, instead, opting for Hojlund, untested and too young to carry a team.  A question Scholes and ferdinand brought up last night. 

Spurs were not selling Kane to United last summer and looked like Rice didn't want to leave London and Arsenal had put plenty of groundwork in last season. United should have been in for him the summer they bought Casemiro but once again were in full panic mode after wasting all summer chasing DeJong.

More concerned with missing out on Haaland & Bellingham who were both well within Uniteds grasps for peanuts. United should always be in for the top English talent when it comes available but all the top English players are at big clubs now, some might see Mount was a top player but we've not seen that yet although at least he was desperate to join United ahead of Liverpool/Arsenal.

United have been massively incompetent, Cole Palmer is a United fan as are all his family yet he signed for City and United were in for him. That shouldn't happen, they've even had to pay to take Darren Fletcher's twins to OT from City and the two biggest talents to come through the academy in 20 years in Morrison & Greenwood both turned out to be wronguns, both should have turned into world class players although Greenwood may well do down the line albeit away from OT.

A major clearout is required but thats been the case for years and its not happened.

5times5times

Onana
AWB Varane Evans Regullion
Amrabat Maino McTomn
Garnacho Rashford
Hojlund

Missing / Injured = 12

Rashford
Martial
Fernandes
Maguire
Shaw
Mount
Martinez
Casemiro
Lindelof
Malacia
Eriksen
Sancho LOL

trailer

Utd can only get players to sign if they throw money at them. Huge paydays. Anyone with aspirations of winning anything are giving them a wide berth. Until the Glazers are out that will not change.

Armagh18

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 13, 2023, 12:44:53 PM

Spurs were not selling Kane to United last summer and looked like Rice didn't want to leave London and Arsenal had put plenty of groundwork in last season. United should have been in for him the summer they bought Casemiro but once again were in full panic mode after wasting all summer chasing DeJong.

More concerned with missing out on Haaland & Bellingham who were both well within Uniteds grasps for peanuts. United should always be in for the top English talent when it comes available but all the top English players are at big clubs now, some might see Mount was a top player but we've not seen that yet although at least he was desperate to join United ahead of Liverpool/Arsenal.

A major clearout is required but thats been the case for years and its not happened.
If Ferguson was still at United they'd have bought Kane years ago. They'd have likely snapped up Rice and Bellingham cheap enough as well before they hit the levels they're at now.

gawa316

Quote from: J70 on December 13, 2023, 12:11:17 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 13, 2023, 11:20:18 AMAll set up for a United win at Anfield on Sunday!!!  Nothing to lose,  pressure off,  all pressure on LFC we table toppers...United will take great pleasure in being party poopers!!

In both games last year, the form team coming in lost. The OT game at the start of the season, days after United were hammered at Brentford, relaunched Rashford. And United went to Anfield with one defeat in 11 games, just won the LC and knocked Barcelona out in Europe, while Liverpool were hopelessly inconsistent.

I don't think Liverpool are even in great form despite being top of the keague. Struggled for wins against Fulham, Palace and Sheff Utd and played okay for the draw with city. Goals from the front 3 have dried up as well.

RedHand88

Quote from: trailer on December 13, 2023, 01:57:56 PMUtd can only get players to sign if they throw money at them. Huge paydays. Anyone with aspirations of winning anything are giving them a wide berth. Until the Glazers are out that will not change.

United have won 5 premier leagues and a European Cup under the Glazers. They have thrown over £400m at ETH since he took over. What more do you want from them??? Please stop this charade that they are the problem!

"But Ten Hag doesn't get the transfers he wants!"
Guess what, neither does Klopp alot of the time. He's done just fine regardless.

Armagh18

That's right. United had 2 bad defeats in their first 2 games then beat Liverpool unexpectedly. The Anfield game United had been flying as you say, they were fairly competitive in the first half but Liverpool took their chances and went in 2 nil up as far as I remember, then United just collapsed completely second half

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 13, 2023, 02:50:25 PM
Quote from: trailer on December 13, 2023, 01:57:56 PMUtd can only get players to sign if they throw money at them. Huge paydays. Anyone with aspirations of winning anything are giving them a wide berth. Until the Glazers are out that will not change.

United have won 5 premier leagues and a European Cup under the Glazers. They have thrown over £400m at ETH since he took over. What more do you want from them??? Please stop this charade that they are the problem!

Think Ferguson had a lot more to do with that, than the Glazers in fairness...

Utd will come good, they won't disappear. It will be a combination of things and they'll be at the top again for a while.

When you are at the top like City, you've got to take advantage, which they have. They won't always be (5 or 6 years I reckon), but have now the legacy of a treble to look back on

Not sure there is a team that will consistently push them year on year, due to the effort required to play football on so many fronts.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RedHand88

So the Glazers can't be credited when they win trophies, but are to blame when they don't?

J70

Quote from: Armagh18 on December 13, 2023, 02:50:49 PM

That's right. United had 2 bad defeats in their first 2 games then beat Liverpool unexpectedly. The Anfield game United had been flying as you say, they were fairly competitive in the first half but Liverpool took their chances and went in 2 nil up as far as I remember, then United just collapsed completely second half

It was 1-0 at half time after an even first half(Gapko scored a couple of minutes before the break), but Liverpool scored twice in the first few minutes of the second to kill the game. United lost their heads and shape completely after the second goal.

AustinPowers

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 13, 2023, 02:50:25 PM

"But Ten Hag doesn't get the transfers he wants!"
Guess what, neither does Klopp alot of the time. He's done just fine regardless.

You can only blame  the Glazers for so much.

After a while you  have to admit , that maybe  the manager  isn't up to the job , the players he inherited are useless , and his transfers have been abysmal .

I expect to  see ETH gone within a few weeks.  But given the amount of dung  in the squad , I expect Groundhog Day again with another manager