Premier League 20/21

Started by Hereiam, August 05, 2020, 01:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 20, 2021, 08:32:49 AM
I've watched nearly every Chelsea game since they played Wolves, they've had 2 wins since and in both games West Ham & Fulham were very unlucky. 7 points from the last 8 games with arguably the strongest squad in the league and under zero pressure from TV & Radio pundits, never seen anything like.

They are literally writing his obituaries?

Cunny Funt

Quote from: johnnycool on January 20, 2021, 10:37:00 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on January 19, 2021, 10:56:12 PM
Frank has served his purpose.  A cheap, rookie manager brought in during a transfer ban. It looked good, because Chelsea were going for a young, English manager, going with young players (he had no choice). In reality, no big man would go near it while a transfer ban was in place.

Now it’ll be, so long Frank... hello [insert big manager here]... here’s a pot of money!

Frank (or someone in Chelsea) spent big enough in the last few transfer windows when the ban was removed.

One year at Derby was never enough experience for that type of job.

The owners of Juventus and Chelsea will be wondering right now did they get rid of Sarri too soon or at least should have replaced him with a more experienced manager.

bigarsedkeeper

Frank has served his purpose.  A cheap, rookie manager brought in during a transfer ban. It looked good, because Chelsea were going for a young, English manager, going with young players (he had no choice). In reality, no big man would go near it while a transfer ban was in place.

Now it'll be, so long Frank... hello [insert big manager here]... here's a pot of money!

Frank (or someone in Chelsea) spent big enough in the last few transfer windows when the ban was removed.

I agree with that, and I don't think Frank is nearly as good as he thinks he is, but realistically how do they get the right experience? Stevie G is going to have to go and do well with another club before he gets the Liverpool job. If you make the wrong move you end up with an Ole in Cardiff situation. He had no hope of keeping that club up but that's on his record forever and the clubs in that group, bottom end premier league top half championship, are the ones that sack managers the most. Then you have big Sam and that running around in that too.

Is Stevie G a good manager or was it just a matter of time before Celtic fell away? If Roy Keane had a chance a top team would he have less problems with players than he has had at lesser teams with average enough players? He'd probably fall with people either way but you know what I'm getting at.

johnnycool

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on January 20, 2021, 04:14:37 PM

Now it'll be, so long Frank... hello [insert big manager here]... here's a pot of money!

I agree with that, and I don't think Frank is nearly as good as he thinks he is, but realistically how do they get the right experience? Stevie G is going to have to go and do well with another club before he gets the Liverpool job. If you make the wrong move you end up with an Ole in Cardiff situation. He had no hope of keeping that club up but that's on his record forever and the clubs in that group, bottom end premier league top half championship, are the ones that sack managers the most. Then you have big Sam and that running around in that too.

Is Stevie G a good manager or was it just a matter of time before Celtic fell away? If Roy Keane had a chance a top team would he have less problems with players than he has had at lesser teams with average enough players? He'd probably fall with people either way but you know what I'm getting at.

I know what you're saying and its not straight forward.

Take Eddie Howe for instance, he has done what in the fullness of time be seen as a fantastic job with Bournemouth for a load of years but they got relegated on his watch and that's the stain that will work against him.
The likes of boys like Eddie probably have it harder as they've no connection with the big clubs like Roy Keane, Lampard, Gerard as players which no doubt gets you a foothold in clubs you really haven't earned the right to be coaching based solely on their playing ability.
The best is probably for those lads now is a Newcastle, WBA or Aston Villa, mid table types, do well there and move on up.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 20, 2021, 03:19:47 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 20, 2021, 08:32:49 AM
I've watched nearly every Chelsea game since they played Wolves, they've had 2 wins since and in both games West Ham & Fulham were very unlucky. 7 points from the last 8 games with arguably the strongest squad in the league and under zero pressure from TV & Radio pundits, never seen anything like.

They are literally writing his obituaries?

Nobody on Sky/BT/BBC has even questioned him.

reillycavan

City playing poor tonight . Cant see that scoring with KDB gone off. Sterling only scores when 3 or 4 nil up.

screenexile

Quote from: reillycavan on January 20, 2021, 07:32:38 PM
City playing poor tonight . Cant see that scoring with KDB gone off. Sterling only scores when 3 or 4 nil up.

They should be 3 up really but as always a bit shaky at the back!

Villa aren't a bad team and are defending for their lives. Phil Foden is quality they don't know what to do when he gets the ball!!

lurganblue

10 yards offside isn't offside nowadays

mouview

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on January 20, 2021, 04:14:37 PM

Not a hope. He's so sociopathic and full of self-loathing that he'd fail sooner than he'd succeed. In his own mind, his players would never match the standards he set as a player; like Glenn Hoddle, but without the passing ability.

maldini

Quote from: screenexile on January 20, 2021, 07:34:09 PM

Villa aren't a bad team and are defending for their lives. Phil Foden is quality they don't know what to do when he gets the ball!!

Best defence in the league at the minute, conceded 2 goals in their last 10 games

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: laoislad on January 20, 2021, 07:54:08 PM
So how the f**k is that first City goal allowed???

Can an attacking player be offside when a defender is playing the ball?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: maldini on January 20, 2021, 11:52:44 PM

Best defence in the league at the minute, conceded 2 goals in their last 10 games
Such a record didn't come cheap. Manchester City so lucky a sugar daddy chose them.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 21, 2021, 12:24:31 AM
Quote from: maldini on January 20, 2021, 11:52:44 PM

Such a record didn't come cheap. Manchester City so lucky a sugar daddy chose them.

And you didn't count the 2 keepers, Bravo and Ederson, in that - another 50 or so on that I think

GetOverTheBar

It's such a GAA thing to talk about what team spends money  ;D

They all do, even the fairy-tale Leicester were done for breach of FFP to get into the Premier League.

Does anyone in this thread actually have anything positive to say about any team?

trailer

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on January 21, 2021, 12:11:29 AM
Quote from: laoislad on January 20, 2021, 07:54:08 PM
So how the f**k is that first City goal allowed???

Can an attacking player be offside when a defender is playing the ball?

That was a strange goal and I'd be pissed if it was against Utd but by Christ Tyrone Mings is the most overrated footballer bar none. He's absolutely terrible. Against Utd earlier in the year he was dire and he hasn't got any better. I just don't get the hype.