AISF Mayo v Dublin

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 09, 2015, 01:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo v Dublin Replay

Mayo
Dublin

Maroon Manc

From what I've heard there will be limits to the numbers of backroom staff that a county will have in the future.

Teo Lurley

Barely anyone is talking about it, when the GAA even mentioned the issue the Dubs were up in arms and it was quickly shut up about. Mayo and Dublin fans are going into this game without a thought on the unfair advantages they have on most other counties. It's a major issue and a major reason why these 3 counties are the only teams left in the championship but it's being treated as a minor, insignificant add on. The media wont speak of it, the counties involved wont speak of it and worse, the rest of the counties wont speak of it. That's why nothings been done to remedy the situation and nothing will be done.

AZOffaly

Fair enough. Just keep it to a single thread so, and make sure you include all counties, not just the Dubs and Mayo.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Teo Lurley on August 28, 2015, 12:20:59 PM
Barely anyone is talking about it, when the GAA even mentioned the issue the Dubs were up in arms and it was quickly shut up about. Mayo and Dublin fans are going into this game without a thought on the unfair advantages they have on most other counties. It's a major issue and a major reason why these 3 counties are the only teams left in the championship but it's being treated as a minor, insignificant add on. The media wont speak of it, the counties involved wont speak of it and worse, the rest of the counties wont speak of it. That's why nothings been done to remedy the situation and nothing will be done.

create a new topic.

Teo Lurley

The last 3 teams in the championship includes Kerry. This thread is about Mayo v Dublin, this is why I'm mentioning them more. Let's hope not everyone wants the issue silenced. A mention on The Sunday Game for once would be welcome.

Teo Lurley

Quote from: Maroon Manc on August 28, 2015, 12:32:09 PM

create a new topic.

I might just do that, I'm sure it will not be full of people trying to silence, deflect or give me any abuse. :D

macdanger2

You're right Teo, it does need to be looked at - Mayo and Dublin and other teams are spending far too much on preparing senior intercounty teams. The amount of money being spent is scandalous. What specifically do you think should be done??

Looking at the individual match-ups (while acknowledging they may not actually line up like this and there will likely be a sweeper for both teams):

Clarke vs. Cluxton - Dublin
Higgins/Caff vs. Bernard - Dublin (if we can turn this into a draw, I think we're halfway there)
Caff/Higgins vs. Andrews - Mayo
Barrett vs. Rock - Mayo
Keegan vs. Connolly - Draw
Boyle vs. KK - Draw
Vaughan vs. Flynn - Dublin
SOS vs. MDMA/Bastic - draw
Parsons vs. Fenton - Mayo
McLoughlin vs. McCaffrey - draw
Doc vs. COS - Dublin
DOC vs. McCarthy - Dublin
COC vs. Cooper - Mayo
AOS vs. ROC - Mayo
Barry vs. McMahon - Draw (hard to call how the free man will play for both sides)

Dublin - 5
Mayo - 5
Draw - 5

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Teo Lurley on August 28, 2015, 12:37:45 PM

create a new topic.

I might just do that, I'm sure it will not be full of people trying to silence, deflect or give me any abuse. :D

In fairness the Dubs get plenty of stick about their budget but what Kerry & Mayo appear to spend goes unnoticed.

AZOffaly

To be honest the money spent on senior inter county teams is crazy, and it does need to be regulated. But it's the money spent on coaching and looking after young squads that worries me more.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Maroon Manc on August 28, 2015, 12:51:30 PM
Quote from: Teo Lurley on August 28, 2015, 12:37:45 PM

create a new topic.

In fairness the Dubs get plenty of stick about their budget but what Kerry & Mayo appear to spend goes unnoticed.

I honestly couldn't give a f**k about who's spending what, can we just discuss the football go complain about the economics somewhere else
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

heffo

Quote from: Maroon Manc on August 28, 2015, 12:19:23 PM
From what I've heard there will be limits to the numbers of backroom staff that a county will have in the future.

Donegal with their record breaking backroom of twenty will be the first under the cosh so.

heffo

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 28, 2015, 12:57:40 PM
it's the money spent on coaching and looking after young squads that worries me more.

Worries you in a good or bad way?

Surely there is far more bang for your buck investing in youth participation than having to bail out the Anglo-esque counties like Mayo & Kildare?

Tubberman

Quote from: heffo on August 28, 2015, 01:04:58 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 28, 2015, 12:57:40 PM
it's the money spent on coaching and looking after young squads that worries me more.

Worries you in a good or bad way?

Surely there is far more bang for your buck investing in youth participation than having to bail out the Anglo-esque counties like Mayo & Kildare?

Can we get back to football please? And if you're going to start throwing accusations around, get your facts straight.
Mayo GAA were not bailed out, the GAA took over the loans from the bank, and Mayo will be repaying to the GAA (in full, albeit at a lower interest rate) rather than the bank.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Erne Man

Really looking forward to this game. I thought last Sunday's match was excellent, and if decent weather prevails this game should surpass that.
I've had a sneaky feeling for Mayo all year, and I think they will edge a close game on Sunday by 2 or 3 pts. There is not a lot to choose between both teams, for me Mayo's strength in midfield and their huge workrate all over the field just doing enough to counter Dublin's threat inside. Mayo look a much more relaxed team this year under the new management, and remind me a bit of Armagh in 2002 - where the fresh impetus from a new management team could be what gets them over the line. A few tweaks here and there and not much else needed - I think Horan had a fondness for getting involved in a bit of tit-for-tat in the media, which added an extra layer of pressure onto the players.
I will not judge Dublin on their q/f win over us, as the game was over as a contest inside 20minutes. However unless Jim Gavin has a defensive masterplan to unveil on Sunday that we haven't seen yet they will concede a big score. They defended in a very high line, and still left huge gaps down either side which Fermanagh where able to throw a pass into space for a runner. Problem for us was that we didnt have a Keegan, Vaughan, Boyle or Doherty on the end of it - and kicked 10wides in the first half, at least 7or8 of which were scorable.
Connolly, Kilkenny & Brogan are in fastastic form - and I'd like to see Higgins shadow Connolly, what a battle that would be. So many great individual tussles in this game, but I think the collective effort from Mayo should get them over the line.

Teo Lurley

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 28, 2015, 12:48:46 PM
You're right Teo, it does need to be looked at - Mayo and Dublin and other teams are spending far too much on preparing senior intercounty teams. The amount of money being spent is scandalous. What specifically do you think should be done??

I might start a thread on it later but obviously there has to be a cap.