Mayo v Dublin - AISF - Saturday 5pm

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 04, 2019, 10:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I also think he's maybe a better hurler. His movement, pace etc are phenomenal in both sports. Performance enhancing drugs won't coach that intelligence of movement.

It's a bit of a radical conclusion to come to that because someone has bulked up a lot they're juiced up. The guy is a phenomenal talent. He's also at a young age where he probably has only started hitting the weights hard the last year or two and it's not like he was small to begin with.

shark

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 12, 2019, 11:05:02 AM
I also think he's maybe a better hurler. His movement, pace etc are phenomenal in both sports. Performance enhancing drugs won't coach that intelligence of movement.

It's a bit of a radical conclusion to come to that because someone has bulked up a lot they're juiced up. The guy is a phenomenal talent. He's also at a young age where he probably has only started hitting the weights hard the last year or two and it's not like he was small to begin with.

Exactly. Con is one player that would have come though no matter where he was from. If his father had stayed in Mullingar then he'd be full forward for Westmeath now and be just as good. Albeit he'd be winning Div 3 medals instead of all-Ireland's.

larryin89

taken out of context as per , forget what you think of Conor loftus as a footballer (I am of the opinion he can kick a ball as good as any in the country ) , my point is Conor came on the senior county scene with a savage goal v Derry in 2017 to save our blushes , played really well v Kerry in semi in 17. Two years on he's the same skinny young fella as in 17 where as o Callaghan has blown up to a machine who can shrug lee Keegan off like an annoying fly on him. Surely you can see my point , the Dublin set up is so much more advanced than ours.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

dublin7

Quote from: larryin89 on August 12, 2019, 10:04:50 AM
Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2019, 09:14:25 AM
Fook sake lads!

Of course there are morons who think that doing proper weights can't build muscle mass, and some of them post here.

Fair enough , I just wish mayo players would start the same programme as con o Callaghan so. Absolutely no difference in football skills in half dozen mayo forwards and o Callaghan but s&c difference between him and someone like Conor loftus is off the scale

Name ONE Mayo forward who has the same football skills as Con. Mayo's point shooting has been killing them all season and did again in the 2nd half on saturday. Lack of physicality has not been the problem.

Kevin McMenamon was told one of the reasons he wasn't getting a starting place was because he was so one footed and opponents could focus on this. He has worked hard on this and is now equally comfortable on his left or right foot (like the majority of the dublin forwards)

How many of the Mayo forwards are equally strong shooting on both their left and right foot?

Lar Naparka

Can anyone tell me what paper or whatever does Aidan O'Rourke write for?
Just seen a clip on RTE New Now where he says Mayo got almost everything right last day.
That's news to me and I'd like to take a lot at his article or blog or wherever he posts his work.
Incidentally, I think it's daft to even think Con is on gear.
I couldn't imagine that Jim Gavin would tolerate such behaviour by anybody on his panel and I don't think Con would consider jeopardising his career  or his health by taking shortcuts to bulking up. Given the facilities at his disposal, he didn't need drugs to get him to where he is.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

shark

Quote from: larryin89 on August 12, 2019, 11:51:52 AM
taken out of context as per , forget what you think of Conor loftus as a footballer (I am of the opinion he can kick a ball as good as any in the country ) , my point is Conor came on the senior county scene with a savage goal v Derry in 2017 to save our blushes , played really well v Kerry in semi in 17. Two years on he's the same skinny young fella as in 17 where as o Callaghan has blown up to a machine who can shrug lee Keegan off like an annoying fly on him. Surely you can see my point , the Dublin set up is so much more advanced than ours.

Mayo had Barry Solan overseeing their S&C under Rochford. If 1 player has not developed then it could be down to a number of reasons, but I guarantee you Mayo's S&C set up is excellent. You can't  force a guy to do the work, eat the right food, etc. The vast majority of the Mayo team are in top class physical condition.

larryin89

Quote from: shark on August 12, 2019, 11:59:45 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on August 12, 2019, 11:51:52 AM

Mayo had Barry Solan overseeing their S&C under Rochford. If 1 player has not developed then it could be down to a number of reasons, but I guarantee you Mayo's S&C set up is excellent. You can't  force a guy to do the work, eat the right food, etc. The vast majority of the Mayo team are in top class physical condition.

This is not true for new additions since 17, very stringy lads , fit yes , lots of stamina but lack power and pace
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

tonto1888

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 12, 2019, 11:57:19 AM
Just seen a clip on RTE New Now where he says Mayo got almost everything right last day.
That's news to me and I'd like to take a lot at his article or blog or wherever he posts his work.
I couldn't imagine that Jim Gavin would tolerate such behaviour by anybody on his panel and I don't think Con would consider jeopardising his career  or his health by taking shortcuts to bulking up. Given the facilities at his disposal, he didn't need drugs to get him to where he is.

Maybe he only watched the first half

Gael85

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 12, 2019, 11:57:19 AM

O'Rourke has blog on RTE GAA page

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0812/1068328-mayo-got-almost-everything-right-against-dublin/

Dinny Breen

Who ever said Con O'Callaghan was juicing needs their head examined. There was a lot innuendo a few years ago about another Dublin player, never came to anything but a lot indicators were there.

Most juicing is undertook by the individual in amateur sports.
#newbridgeornowhere

TheGreatest

Hard luck Mayo, 10 minutes Blitz was all that was required in the end. Dublin only scored 1-02, the same as Mayo, outside this period in the 2nd half. Unfair on Mayo to come into this match with a 1 week break.

No real sympathy for Mayo overall, always nice keeping them down.

Is Horan's 70k a year worth it? Especially when Jim Gavin is only volunteers his time to the cause. 

As fo O'Connor, if that was Connolly, imagine, just imagine the social and mainstream media outrage, i will say no more but he should be off the panel, too much baggage, cant be trusted.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 12, 2019, 01:36:38 PM
Hard luck Mayo, 10 minutes Blitz was all that was required in the end. Dublin only scored 1-02, the same as Mayo, outside this period in the 2nd half. Unfair on Mayo to come into this match with a 1 week break.

Is Horan's 70k a year worth it?
Especiaslly when Jim Gavin is only volunteers his timet to the cause. 

As fo O'Connor, if that was Connolly, imagine, just imagine the social and mainstream outrage, i will say no more but he should be off the panel, too much baggage, cant be trusted.
Where did you hear this? First I have heard about it. Can't disagree with you about O'Connor. Unfortunately,he has earned himself a hard man's reputation and I honestly think he does believe in getting his retaliation in first a lot of the time. Contrast that with Aidan O'Shea. He gets more abuse, verbal and physical than any other I can think of but he can be compared with O'Connor in this regard.
It's a pity but that's the way I see it; he has earned a bad reputation and isn't likely to get the benefit of the doubt from most referees.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Hound

Quote from: shark on August 12, 2019, 11:33:37 AM

Exactly. Con is one player that would have come though no matter where he was from. If his father had stayed in Mullingar then he'd be full forward for Westmeath now and be just as good. Albeit he'd be winning Div 3 medals instead of all-Ireland's.
I thought he was Athlone?

Heard a comment that if he'd stayed, it would have been 2 All Irelands for Garrycastle in football rather than 2 for Cuala in hurling! But maybe someone was confused...

TheGreatest

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 12, 2019, 02:01:57 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on August 12, 2019, 01:36:38 PM

Is Horan's 70k a year worth it?
Especiaslly when Jim Gavin is only volunteers his timet to the cause. 

As fo O'Connor, if that was Connolly, imagine, just imagine the social and mainstream outrage, i will say no more but he should be off the panel, too much baggage, cant be trusted.
Where did you hear this? First I have heard about it. Can't disagree with you about O'Connor. Unfortunately,he has earned himself a hard man's reputation and I honestly think he does believe in getting his retaliation in first a lot of the time. Contrast that with Aidan O'Shea. He gets more abuse, verbal and physical than any other I can think of but he can be compared with O'Connor in this regard.
It's a pity but that's the way I see it; he has earned a bad reputation and isn't likely to get the benefit of the doubt from most referees.

I have no proof but believe my source, i wouldnt say hes doing it for nothing. I dont want to witch hunt any player and i will leave it at that Re: O Connor, i wont be opening a thread on a single player and let it run for 110 pages because he put a finger on a linesman.

shark

Quote from: Hound on August 12, 2019, 02:34:15 PM
Quote from: shark on August 12, 2019, 11:33:37 AM

I thought he was Athlone?

Heard a comment that if he'd stayed, it would have been 2 All Irelands for Garrycastle in football rather than 2 for Cuala in hurling! But maybe someone was confused...

Pretty sure Mullingar, but not certain.  Con's Grandfather was Westmeath county board chairman at one stage (late 60's I think), while working as an army officer in Columb Barracks in Mullingar.