Paul Galvin- referee' notebook - is this something you've always wanted to do ?

Started by orangeman, June 15, 2008, 06:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louth Exile

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on June 15, 2008, 11:59:58 PM
QuoteThe fact that he is a school teacher is very relevant, he is setting and example for young children, a very bad one. He was a bad choice of captain, but going by Pat O'Shea's comments on the Sunday game, sure Paul did nothing wrong!

what do you work at yourself ?

Why? Did I hit a notebook out of the refs hands, get up in the face of the linesman and nearly have a go at my own man?
Your school report MS...... needs to try harder!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

magickingdom

Quote from: Louth Exile on June 15, 2008, 11:49:32 PM
Quote from: ONeill on June 15, 2008, 10:54:39 PM
There's a side to Galvin that's not particularly likeable. Today's petulance shows a lack of class, no matter the reason.

I agree, whether the ref made a bad call or not is to a large degree irrelevant. What Galvin did can't be tolerated, Finlay got eight weeks for his verbals to the ref after the Fermanagh game, this incident has to warrant at least the same punishment. Galvin not getting to captain Kerry in the Munster Final is no ones fault but his own. What he should have done was,take the two yellows, Kerry convincingly beat Clare and Galvin captains them in the final. He mightn't have like it, but that would have been the right course of action for him.

The fact that he is a school teacher is very relevant, he is setting and example for young children, a very bad one. He was a bad choice of captain, but going by Pat O'Shea's comments on the Sunday game, sure Paul did nothing wrong!

thats the kind of sh.t that i'm on about, your way out of line there..

magickingdom

Quote from: hardstation on June 15, 2008, 10:56:03 PM
So, Paddy Russell makes a bad decision (in your opinion) and you reckon that he shouldn't have a whistle near his mouth again but Galvin acts the d*ck and we shouldn't slate him for it?

i've no problem with reasonable comments by anyone

Louth Exile

Quote from: magickingdom on June 16, 2008, 12:04:44 AM
There's a side to Galvin that's not particularly likeable. Today's petulance shows a lack of class, no matter the reason.

I agree, whether the ref made a bad call or not is to a large degree irrelevant. What Galvin did can't be tolerated, Finlay got eight weeks for his verbals to the ref after the Fermanagh game, this incident has to warrant at least the same punishment. Galvin not getting to captain Kerry in the Munster Final is no ones fault but his own. What he should have done was,take the two yellows, Kerry convincingly beat Clare and Galvin captains them in the final. He mightn't have like it, but that would have been the right course of action for him.

The fact that he is a school teacher is very relevant, he is setting and example for young children, a very bad one. He was a bad choice of captain, but going by Pat O'Shea's comments on the Sunday game, sure Paul did nothing wrong!

Is he not setting an example for the kids that he teaches and who look up to and admire him??
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Mike Sheehy

QuoteWhy? Did I hit a notebook out of the refs hands, get up in the face of the linesman and nearly have a go at my own man?
Your school report MS...... needs to try harder!

If you are going to get on your high horse then its very relevant. I mean what right have you to say what obligations Paul Galvin has outside the hours of his employment ?

Mike Sheehy

QuoteIs he not setting an example for the kids that he teaches and who look up to and admire him??

and why do you think he should set an example ? Is he paid to set an example outside of school hours ?

INDIANA

the comments about his line of work are a disgrace to be honest. They are not related. He is an amateur sportsman and some of the muppets here would want to remember that. by all means punish him within the gaa rules, but the comments about his occupation should be removed and the gobshites that made them would want to catch themselves on.

magickingdom

Quote from: Louth Exile on June 16, 2008, 12:12:14 AM
Quote from: magickingdom on June 16, 2008, 12:04:44 AM

Is he not setting an example for the kids that he teaches and who look up to and admire him??

hes makes his living teaching, youve no right to imply hes not suitable for it ffs

stephenite

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on June 16, 2008, 12:14:29 AM
QuoteIs he not setting an example for the kids that he teaches and who look up to and admire him??

and why do you think he should set an example ? Is he paid to set an example outside of school hours ?

Comments about the professional lives of amateurs are out of line, there's been plenty of school teachers sent off for a lot worse over the years.

Didn't see the incident but at the end of the day, anyone who interfers with the referee deserves a lengthy ban - and can have no complaints when it's handed down.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteVery disappointed at the manager's comments. He's not cut from the same Kingdom cloth of old. Kerry are quickly becoming the England of GAA

You mean in the sense that we rule you ?

Louth Exile

I was not saying that he should face any sanction from his employers (although, for the record, Kevin O'Hanlon was nearly got court martialed by the Army for his disgracefull behaviour in the Louth/ Laois melee in 1991). He is an amateur sportsperson. Whether you like it or not, he is setting a thugish example for kids and he should have some cop on to himself! I note the abusive language from those who think that Galvin did nothing wrong, but I'm not going to go on a solo run with this, so I leave it that. You lot mightn't see that he did wrong, you'll get some buck when the CCCC address it!

highorlow

My view is that it was a clash of two egets.

Russel causes controversy year in year out and is not a very good ref. He has an innate ability to lose control of games the same way as Galvin loses the head.

It looked to me from the highlights that Paul Galvin was trying to explain the situation to the ref and Russel got too confused or didn't understand the linesmans message?

It was an over reaction alright, but in the heat of the moment if the man got sent off in the wrong it would be frustrating. Its a pity the Sunday Game didn't bother to get more details. You would also get the impression that the pundits are getting afraid now to criticize individual players.

Tommy Lyons called it as it was, fair play to him.

If Galvin proves he was 'wronged' in the first place he probably shouldn't receive a ban and Russel should resign.

However I felt that an opportunity for some kind of apology for his behaviour from the player via his manager on the Sunday Game was lost and that could go against him.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Mike Sheehy

QuoteYou lot mightn't see that he did wrong, you'll get some buck when the CCCC address it!

What the ccc do about it has f**k all to do with him "setting an example". The ccc is the apprpriate place to deal with it. Making insinuations about his suitabilty for his job on an internet forunm is certainly not the appropriate way, or place, to deal with it.

ONeill

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on June 16, 2008, 12:22:40 AM
QuoteVery disappointed at the manager's comments. He's not cut from the same Kingdom cloth of old. Kerry are quickly becoming the England of GAA

You mean in the sense that we rule you ?

In the that sense you cannot bate us?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

gallsman

Few points from what I've read. No-one has called Galvin's suitability for teaching into question. What's being called into question is whether or not the behaviour shown today is appropriate for the captain of a team. Regardless of the fact that he's a teacher, he has a duty as one of the most prominent footballers in the country to set an example.

MS, comments like "why should he have to set an example" just smack of mopery. It simply isn't possible to justify his actions. Wheter he was wronged or not, he has to respect the authority of the officials. If there was a fuss caused every time someone didn't agreee with a decision, games would barely even get started.

Lenghty ban, take it on the chin, work extra hard in training, learn from it.