The Roscommon Bus

Started by Shamrock Shore, May 08, 2014, 12:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

I present to you:

€300k spent on a dedicated bus for our friends across the river for all county teams and their journeys to, eh, Sligo, Galway and the odd trip to foreign provinces.

I mean WTF!

What will happen it when it's idle from June to December each year?
Who will drive it and what happens him when it's in the hayshed.

Am I missing something here?
Have the Rossies gone mad?

Is this a good way to spend €300k - even if there is sponsorship in the mix.

Sidney

They should have parked it in front of their goal on Saturday, not outside the ground, if they wanted to get value for money.

Jinxy

Does it have a pool table?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ross4life

Quote from: Sidney on May 08, 2014, 12:45:20 AM
They should have parked it in front of their goal on Saturday, not outside the ground, if they wanted to get value for money.

I'd say one bus could have brought the amount of Dublin supporters at the game.

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 08, 2014, 12:24:43 AM
€300k spent on a dedicated bus for our friends across the river for all county teams and their journeys to, eh, Sligo, Galway and the odd trip to foreign provinces.

I mean WTF!

You know the official cost? Each team including the larries has to hire buses for match days at least we will save some cash on that. The bus was more or less provided by sponsorship, sure wouldn't we be mad if we said no to that thing of beauty? We don't always lay idle from June to December for example our county minors final game was in September last year pity they didn't get the chance to travel in style.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

rodney trotter

Schools and clubs will be availing of the services of it too,  so it shouldn't be that idle during the winter months

whitey

They should rent it out for stag dos and the like....wouldn't it be some laugh for a bunch of maniacs to roll up to a pub in that wagon

ballinaman

Quote from: ross4life on May 08, 2014, 01:15:09 AM

I mean WTF!

You know the official cost? Each team including the larries has to hire buses for match days at least we will save some cash on that. The bus was more or less provided by sponsorship, sure wouldn't we be mad if we said no to that thing of beauty? We don't always lay idle from June to December for example our county minors final game was in September last year pity they didn't get the chance to travel in style.
Sounds like you know your figures too....

Catch and Kick

Seems like poor business to me; only one county team can travel on the bus at a time! What about the minors, U21s, hurlers when seniors are playing on the same day, which has now become a regular occurrence.
Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri......not many county games on those days....

Syferus

Quote from: ballinaman on May 08, 2014, 08:57:37 AM
Quote from: ross4life on May 08, 2014, 01:15:09 AM

I mean WTF!

Sounds like you know your figures too....

Sounds like someone has bus envy.

Shamrock Shore

It just doesn't make economic sense to me.

To have a 'wasting' asset sitting idle for the majority of the time is mental. Builders discovered this with helicopters.
As pointed out there will be "bus envy" when there is a clash between say the footballers and the hurlers on a wet Sunday in March.

How much is it to hire a bus for a match trip. €500?
How much has Roscommon GAA committed to this?
Could the sponsors' largesse have not been directed to better use?

orangeman

Depreciation. Maintenance. Insurance. A driver. 

Sounds crazy.

Is she brand new ?.

quit yo jibbajabba

Bingo

Fairly obvious this is part of the impact of SKY.

Roscommon are planning for the SKY prematch team arrival shot.

Hardy

AZOffaly

300k sounds extortionate exorbitant I meant to say, alright, unless they have another revenue stream for it. In Tipperary I know it costs us circa €400 for bus hire per match. We have the following teams.... U14 Hurling/Football x2; u15 hurling/football; u16 hurling/football; u17 hurling/football; minor hurling/football; U21 hurling/football; Junior Football; Intermediate Hurling; Senior Hurling; Senior Football.

That's 18 teams. On average if those teams play 10 'travel' games per year (including challenges and blitzes), then that would be 180 'bus trips' at €400. That would make for €72k. Not bad you'd say, because then the €300k would pay for itself in 4 years. But the problem is there's only one bus so there'll be clashes left right and centre. We send 3 buses on the same day for development squad munster blitzes for e.g. twice a year, etc etc. Then obviously the senior hurlers and junior footballers could be playing in different places etc.

There is a lot of money spent on team transport, but unless this is a magical bi-locational bus, then it would take many years to make back the 300k.