Cavan vs. Armagh, Sun. May 19, Breffni Park, Ulster c'ship prelim

Started by Oraisteach, April 11, 2013, 01:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Do Cavan get any credit in this postmortem? Dunne kicked some fine points and 8 from play, no matter how naive Armagh were is a superb tally, especially on his champ debut. Maybe ye are just not as good as you think ye are, I think we would have won even if you had a sweeper as I am sure Hyland had planned for that anyway. Good luck in the back door anyway, manys a team was reincarnated in it.

Wildweasel74

Oh theres no argument cavan were the better team, even if Armagh played different tactics, Cavan would have won. the worrying aspect from Cavan points of view was that there team looked unsure of themselves and their own ability before they realized Armagh were there for the taking. They should be too strong for Fermangh but Monaghan will not laid down and if Cavan are unsure of themselves early on, they could be in trouble no matter how good there players are.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 21, 2013, 08:47:25 PM
Oh theres no argument cavan were the better team, even if Armagh played different tactics, Cavan would have won. the worrying aspect from Cavan points of view was that there team looked unsure of themselves and their own ability before they realized Armagh were there for the taking. They should be too strong for Fermangh but Monaghan will not laid down and if Cavan are unsure of themselves early on, they could be in trouble no matter how good there players are.

I put that down to a lot of young lads getting nervous on a big day. That win will give them huge confidence and was so important to their development. I think Fermanagh will be a very tough game and it is 50:50. They are never easy bet, especially by Cavan.

T Fearon

From what I saw on Sunday I would expect Cavan to take care of Fermanagh.They have far more fire power,and a tighter defence.

Syferus

Fermanagh certainly have a tighter defense than Cavan. It'll be a close match.

tintin25

It's defo a 50/50 game. Most games between the two are generally tight affairs. Cavan have the better firepower up front with Dunne and Keating, but I think fermanagh have the better defender and possibly midfield also, esp with McKiernan out.

T Fearon

Will be greatly surprised if Fermanagh beat Cavan.The game under their belt and win against Armagh give Cavan a huge advantage,and even Armagh have better firepower than Fermanagh,and this was easily neutralised by Cavan.

tintin25

Greatly surprised? It's hardly a David versus Goliath clash!

T Fearon

Can't see Fermanagh winning this,Cavan have momentum and confidence.No one would give Fermanagh a chance if they were playing Armagh

imtommygunn

Fermanagh have been ultra defensive in the league. This game a different kettle of fish. Fermanagh were useful in the league and i think they may shade it.

Some great hard to call ties in ulster this year. Apart from antrim monaghan >:( all the rest very tough to call.

yellowcard

For Armagh its back to the drawing board and we need to decide whether to abandon this suicide football. I'd say a lot of home truths will come out of the meeting tonight and I hope that we can salvage at least one championship win from the season. 

On the game itself I think you could see cavan visibly growing in belief as the game wore on. They have a young enough side not to have too many mental scars from previous failed campaigns. Anytime I have seen Keating he has looked very impressive and will be a handful for anyone in Ulster. Whilst Dunne appears to be a great finisher I think the Fermanagh game will be a greater test of his mettle, not sure if he has the same ball winning capabilities in a tight game that Keating has. Imo the Cavan v Fermanagh game is 50/50 but Cavan's greater scoring power in their inside line might just sway it their way. 

muppet

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 21, 2013, 08:37:41 PM
Do Cavan get any credit in this postmortem? Dunne kicked some fine points and 8 from play, no matter how naive Armagh were is a superb tally, especially on his champ debut. Maybe ye are just not as good as you think ye are, I think we would have won even if you had a sweeper as I am sure Hyland had planned for that anyway. Good luck in the back door anyway, manys a team was reincarnated in it.

That is what is wrong with TSG - football.

Imagine the hurling pundits if a player made a debut like Dunne did. They would be rightly raving, instead we have a spat between Brolly and the losers.
MWWSI 2017

tintin25

Exactly.

Armagh folk need to accept that they are rebuilding at present and that the current crop available aren't anywhere near the level of the sides from 02-08 or so. They were dumped out by Roscommon last year and scraped past Wicklow also I seem to remember a couple of years back in the qualifiers.

AFS

Quote from: tintin25 on May 21, 2013, 11:03:22 PM
Armagh folk need to accept that they are rebuilding at present and that the current crop available aren't anywhere near the level of the sides from 02-08 or so.

Jaysus, you're right! Can't believe none of us eejits had twigged this before now. tintin25, you truly have lifted the fog from before our eyes. Sure we're away in the head altogether to be even a little disappointed about losing to the mighty men from Cavan, especially since the current crop available aren't anywhere near the level of the sides from 02-08 or so. From now on I'm going to be content with the fact that we can even field a team at all. I mean, to expect anything more is just ridiculous.

emmetryan

Apologies for the delay on this, I was on my hols, here's my tactical analysis of Cavan's win over Armagh http://action81.com/blog/?p=7262
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com