Cavan vs. Armagh, Sun. May 19, Breffni Park, Ulster c'ship prelim

Started by Oraisteach, April 11, 2013, 01:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC Unique

Quote from: T Fearon on May 21, 2013, 10:20:49 PM
Can't see Fermanagh winning this,Cavan have momentum and confidence.No one from Armagh would give Fermanagh a chance if they were playing Armagh

Fixed that there. People outside Armagh see them on a similar level.

rodney trotter

Quote from: AFS on May 22, 2013, 12:09:04 AM
Quote from: tintin25 on May 21, 2013, 11:03:22 PM
Armagh folk need to accept that they are rebuilding at present and that the current crop available aren't anywhere near the level of the sides from 02-08 or so.

Jaysus, you're right! Can't believe none of us eejits had twigged this before now. tintin25, you truly have lifted the fog from before our eyes. Sure we're away in the head altogether to be even a little disappointed about losing to the mighty men from Cavan, especially since the current crop available aren't anywhere near the level of the sides from 02-08 or so. From now on I'm going to be content with the fact that we can even field a team at all. I mean, to expect anything more is just ridiculous.

8) Hope you took the defeat well ;D

AFS

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 23, 2013, 10:41:26 PM
Quote from: AFS on May 22, 2013, 12:09:04 AM
Quote from: tintin25 on May 21, 2013, 11:03:22 PM
Armagh folk need to accept that they are rebuilding at present and that the current crop available aren't anywhere near the level of the sides from 02-08 or so.

Jaysus, you're right! Can't believe none of us eejits had twigged this before now. tintin25, you truly have lifted the fog from before our eyes. Sure we're away in the head altogether to be even a little disappointed about losing to the mighty men from Cavan, especially since the current crop available aren't anywhere near the level of the sides from 02-08 or so. From now on I'm going to be content with the fact that we can even field a team at all. I mean, to expect anything more is just ridiculous.

8) Hope you took the defeat well ;D

Ach, we're well used to losing by now. Though, it's a bit galling when some gobshite who's watched a few highlights on The Sunday Game tries to lecture you on the abilities of the team you've been up and down the country looking at for as long as you care to remember.

tintin25

Gobshite? BTW, not trying to lecture anybody. Just giving my 2 cents worth, like anyone else does from time to time on this board. Not arguing with the fact that you appear to be an avid follower of the team, and are in a better position to judge their ability than I am.

AFS

Quote from: tintin25 on May 24, 2013, 09:19:07 AM
BTW, not trying to lecture anybody.

'Armagh folk need to accept that...' sounds a lot like the beginning of a lecture to me. You're not the only one coming out with this sort of stuff, it's become a regular thing for boys, usually from outside the county, to chip in with the exact same two cents following an Armagh defeat.  Just this morning we had Walter Cronc at it too. It wouldn't be so irritating if there were any foundation for these calls to lower expectations. The reality is that expectations in Armagh are as low as they've been in twenty years or more. No reasonable person in the county expects success anything like we were enjoying a decade ago. Disappointments expressed on this thread, or the one on the Roscommon game last year, or any thread about a recent Armagh defeat, are borne out of frustrations that zero appreciable progress has been made in the last five or six years. I don't think its unusual for supporters of any team, whatever that team's stature or reasonable expectations, to be frustrated by an absence of progress.

T Fearon

Interesting points made by Mickey Harte in I News today, where he looks at what would have happened had Jamie's goal stood (as it should have), with loads of time left Cavan possibly crumbling after their best efforts to stifle him fail, and Armagh going on to win the game (points out a couple of glaring misses by Mark Shields the seventh forward), and how PG would then have been lauded for his attacking tactics, the Armagh team for its character to come back, and the Cavan management lambasted for their ineffective negative tactics, and wasting a second man on Jamie etc. Fair points I suppose.

tommysmith

Quote from: T Fearon on May 24, 2013, 03:39:49 PM
Interesting points made by Mickey Harte in I News today, where he looks at what would have happened had Jamie's goal stood (as it should have), with loads of time left Cavan possibly crumbling after their best efforts to stifle him fail, and Armagh going on to win the game (points out a couple of glaring misses by Mark Shields the seventh forward), and how PG would then have been lauded for his attacking tactics, the Armagh team for its character to come back, and the Cavan management lambasted for their ineffective negative tactics, and wasting a second man on Jamie etc. Fair points I suppose.

So play should continue after whistle?

T Fearon

The whistle should not have been sounded until the advantage was assessed.