Tyrone v Down USFC Semi Final Sat 19th June

Started by Fuzzman, May 25, 2010, 04:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Sorry if I missed this on the thread but was their talk that Davey is injured?

Oh just saw this on the Belfast Telegraph.

Conor Gormley is back in the Tyrone team for Saturday's Ulster SFC semi-final against Down.
Gormley, who missed the win over Antrim because of a knee injury, has returned to full fitness, and has been named at centre back for the Casement Park clash.

There's a first championship start for Peter Harte, nephew of manager Mickey, who comes in at wing back for his cousin, Davy Harte, who has been ruled out by a calf strain. Gormley comes in as a direct replacement for Ryan McMenamin, who is not risked due to a slight hamstring strain.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/breaking-news/sport/gormley-returns-to-tyrone-lineup-14848405.html#ixzz0rDEWCMMP

Fuzzman

That's a good wee interview by Niblock. Where's he from?

Saw this article in the Tele as well

It's quite some time since Tyrone manager Mickey Harte found himself spoiled for choice in terms of defensive options — and that's one of the reasons why his side slid into Division Two of the National Football League.

Yet as he approaches Saturday's Ulster football championship semi-final against Down he is confronted by a rearguard selection poser that is much different to those which have exercised his mind over recent months.

Even though Ciaran Gourley and Damian McCaul are still recovering from long-term injuries, Harte is happy to have a fully recovered Conor Gormley and a willing Sean O'Neill very much in the frame for the showdown with James McCartan's side.

Gormley, who has been the central pillar of the Tyrone defence for several years now, has been out of the picture because of ankle trouble and his return should strengthen the team's chances of making it into the final against either Monaghan or Fermanagh.

And O'Neill — second-half sub in the win over Antrim — has been knocking loudly on the door for some time and is likely to get some more game time against the Mournemen.

The anticipated return of Gormley could see Ryan McMenamin move from centre-half-back, where he featured against Antrim, to his more familiar role at right-full-back with Martin Swift making way.

Harte, aware of Down's pace, skill in attack, is particularly anxious that his defensive strategy proves an effective barrier to the Mourne side's ambitions in a match which could be an epic.

"Obviously it's good to have someone of the calibre of Conor Gormley available again. While we must be patient in awaiting the return of Ciaran Gourley and Damien McCaul, we now have maybe one or two more options at our disposal.

"We will certainly need these as Down have shown they are a very attack-minded side this year and proved in extra-time against Donegal that they are imbued with plenty of energy and stamina," points out Harte.

In the ongoing absence of Aidan Cassidy from midfield the Tyrone manager is likely, once again, to place his faith in the Kevin Hughes-Colm Cavanagh partnership against Down.

"The injury that Aidan received could hardly have come at a worse time but the player himself is still very determined to have some input into our season. Obviously this will depend on his rate of rehabilitation and the length of our stay in the championship overall. It would be our hope that he makes a full recovery quickly and that we are still playing championship football when he reaches this point," says Harte.

Joe McMahon is expected to again fulfil a roving commission against Down with Stephen O'Neill and Owen Mulligan certain to operate as a two-man full-forward line as the Ulster champions bid to unhinge their opponents' sweeper mechanism

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 18, 2010, 10:23:07 AM
Just read that Down team. Am surprised how many of them I don't know

I see PJ is back in the subs. Glad to see that as really rated him
If the Down team line out with Benny, Gordon & Marty Clarke all in FF line ( I know Benny is 12) then our FB line could be in for a tough aul day of it unless Block & Joey are back there to help

If Down MF come out on top and kick the ball in fast to their FF line we could be in trouble alright. I'd say if we do see that you could see McCarron coming in early for either corner back though I have been impressed with Carlin this year. I've not seen enough of Swift to convince me yet but I think we were all surprised that Davey & Ricey got the chop and he didn't.

I think having a good "Playmaker" certainly adds to the game. A player who is composed on the ball, has great vision and can see space and possible runs and can control the play is worth a lot. Its like having an extra weapon in your armoury that can unlock defences. The way McGuigan used to dummy one way and do the opposite or like give you the eyes on direction but fist it the other way. These small things can lead to great passes and opens up play for your score takers. I'd say Mugsy especially but also SoN much prefer playing with a good playmaker who knows how they like the ball played in and when they can come running out for a pass and then swivel and get it played in behind. I for one think McCullagh has this over Penrose but Penrose's workrate and excellent tackling back will win out most of the time.

BTW, was the reason why this game was scheduled for a Sat evening?
Quite a lot of people I know aren't going to it because its on Friday evening.
Will it be mad busy there near Asda on a Sat at that time?

Assume its tv related. Its not a bad time for a match from the point of view that you can have a few drinks without worrying about work the next day. I'm sure it effects a few people who are working but sure some people work Sundays as well. Should still attract a big crowd and with the good weather should be a great evening. Assume there will be some extra traffic with it being a Saturday but hopefully not to bad.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Zapatista on June 18, 2010, 12:53:02 PM

It isn't pretty conclusive anything. There are 15 players out there all linking up with eachother. It's not the job of one person. The same argument could be applied to SONs talents yet we made a final without him.

I'd like to think Mickey's system isn't that one dimensional.

Kyle Coney could be that person in the near future should it be required.

Anyway my original point was that i'm not overly concerned that there is no immediately identifiable playmaker.

Nobody was suggesting it was down to one person rather than all 15 to link up but when Tyrone have been at their most effective they have had a pivot who has drifted around and exerted real influence on putting play together. I wouldnt altogether agree that makes the system "one dimesional" but there are without doubt certain roles within the setup that are absolutely crucial. Harte himself has said that McGuigan was the one man he couldnt afford to lose after the 2005 season. For a classic example of that pivot play check out McGuigan in the final 15 minutes of the 2008 Final when he came on and so much of whatTyrone did from then on went through him. If he can do it for longer he could still be a key man this summer.

Coney might be the man in the future. Mulgrew could have been but unfortunately at this stage its not looking too likely.

Clearly we will have to agree to disagree on the importance of the role ;D.

The Cavan folk wont be too happy with Niblock claiming in that piece that Tyrone and Down are the two most successful Ulster counties in terms of All-Irelands :o

tyrone86

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on June 18, 2010, 04:13:22 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on June 18, 2010, 12:53:02 PM

It isn't pretty conclusive anything. There are 15 players out there all linking up with eachother. It's not the job of one person. The same argument could be applied to SONs talents yet we made a final without him.

I'd like to think Mickey's system isn't that one dimensional.

Kyle Coney could be that person in the near future should it be required.

Anyway my original point was that i'm not overly concerned that there is no immediately identifiable playmaker.

Nobody was suggesting it was down to one person rather than all 15 to link up but when Tyrone have been at their most effective they have had a pivot who has drifted around and exerted real influence on putting play together. I wouldnt altogether agree that makes the system "one dimesional" but there are without doubt certain roles within the setup that are absolutely crucial. Harte himself has said that McGuigan was the one man he couldnt afford to lose after the 2005 season. For a classic example of that pivot play check out McGuigan in the final 15 minutes of the 2008 Final when he came on and so much of whatTyrone did from then on went through him. If he can do it for longer he could still be a key man this summer.

Coney might be the man in the future. Mulgrew could have been but unfortunately at this stage its not looking too likely.

Clearly we will have to agree to disagree on the importance of the role ;D.

The Cavan folk wont be too happy with Niblock claiming in that piece that Tyrone and Down are the two most successful Ulster counties in terms of All-Irelands :o

Shane Glynn and BBC editoral at work again? Perhaps Jerome has a point after all!

ONeill

Just have a niggling feeling that in Tally and McIvor, McCartan has a team that'll have Tyrone dissected inside out and may have a gameplan that'll see the Tyrone NFL form being the real indicator as to where the Red Hands are at. The good news for Tyrone is that my pessimism is rising again. It has brought three All-Irelands.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

omagh_gael

I wonder will young Coney get a run out?

saffron sam2

Enough about the game, where are you all pinting?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

loughshore lad

Quote from: ONeill on June 18, 2010, 10:33:40 PM
Just have a niggling feeling that in Tally and McIvor, McCartan has a team that'll have Tyrone dissected inside out and may have a gameplan that'll see the Tyrone NFL form being the real indicator as to where the Red Hands are at. The good news for Tyrone is that my pessimism is rising again. It has brought three All-Irelands.

I don't think there is any doubt Tally and McIver will be well clued in to the weakness in the Tyrone team but hopefully they don't have the personnel at their disposal to exploit them.

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 18, 2010, 10:42:58 PM
I wonder will young Coney get a run out?

Lets hope so, he isn't going to progress sitting on the bench for Tyrone as well as not being able to play for the club.

ONeill

Quote from: saffron sam2 on June 18, 2010, 10:46:00 PM

Hopefully 1-2 in Fruit before and 3+ in Casement after. Former 50%, latter 99%.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

saffron sam2

Quote from: hardstation on June 18, 2010, 11:02:38 PM
Quote from: ONeill on June 18, 2010, 10:54:36 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on June 18, 2010, 10:46:00 PM

Hopefully 1-2 in Fruit before and 3+ in Casement after. Former 50%, latter 99%.
I'll go with this unless someone has a better idea.

Meeting a couple of boys in the PDs before the game. Timf for 1+ after.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

omagh_gael

A pre warning....don't slag off the Provos when socializing in the PD club. I have witnessed community restorative justice in full swing when the said event occurs. Not a pretty sight :(

Fuzzman

Sorry lads I cant make it this time but I've a really good excuse but I cant tell you just yet

I've just drank a bottle of white wine on my own for the first time and I'm looking out over Dublin Bay and there seems to be a blue moon. I can see the Pigeon House from my house and I think it's trying to tell me something
http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/21308092.jpg

We had a cracker game in the Marshes in 2008 which for once Tyrone came out the wrong side of
I've a feeling we're in for anot$her cracker where the two best teams from Ulster in the last 40 years (I'm drunk so give me some freedom here Apple Jacks)

So I think we will shake off our negative defensive blankets to reveal our smooth silky bodies with
Marty Clarke. 1.02
S'O Neill 2-01
Benny 2-00
Sean Cavan 1.05
Dan Gordon 3-00
Mugsy 2.09
Fuzz 1.11

oops and of course Dooher 2 points

Enjoy the game folks and let those South Western whingers weep in their aristocat years

BTW

I'm not that pissed
Engerland only drew NOT lost

Ulick

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 18, 2010, 11:29:04 PM
A pre warning....don't slag off the Provos when socializing in the PD club. I have witnessed community restorative justice in full swing when the said event occurs. Not a pretty sight :(

If you thought that was bad don't ever slag the PDs.