Tyrone v Down USFC Semi Final Sat 19th June

Started by Fuzzman, May 25, 2010, 04:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I thought that was Clones. Was that after a draw or was that the previous year?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tyrones own

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Mourne Rover

O'Neill is missing a few Down/Tyrone championship games. The 80s were all Tyrone, with USC wins in 82 at the Marshes (late goal from McGuigan), 84 at Casement (the robbery was off the field but not on it), 86 at Clones (Greenan was the referee, enough said) and 89 in Castleblaney (four sent off). Down hammered Tyrone in the 94 USC final, lost narrowly to them in the 96 final, and again in the 97 first round (after a replay), then won in Omagh in 98 and Casement in 99. We don't even want to think about the 03 final, Tyrone won in the qualifiers in Newry in 04 and in the first round of the championship in 06, and O'Neill managed to get the 08 results right. Next time round is anyone's guess.

ONeill

That's why I said with others sprinkled in between. Didn't want to be a boring hoor and list them all.

Fuzzman

I'd say it has to be in Casement doesnt it
5 O'Clock on a Sat evening might be hard for me to make & wont know until nearer the time

Just watching the Down game now on the sunday game
Looked like Down are still very dependant on Benny Boy

I'd bad memories of that last time they beat us up in Casement
That first match in 2003 was one of the most exciting games I've ever been at.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Mourne Rover on May 30, 2010, 10:41:08 PM
O'Neill is missing a few Down/Tyrone championship games. The 80s were all Tyrone, with USC wins in 82 at the Marshes (late goal from McGuigan), 84 at Casement (the robbery was off the field but not on it), 86 at Clones (Greenan was the referee, enough said) and 89 in Castleblaney (four sent off). Down hammered Tyrone in the 94 USC final, lost narrowly to them in the 96 final, and again in the 97 first round (after a replay), then won in Omagh in 98 and Casement in 99. We don't even want to think about the 03 final, Tyrone won in the qualifiers in Newry in 04 and in the first round of the championship in 06, and O'Neill managed to get the 08 results right. Next time round is anyone's guess.

Tyrone were knocked out in the first round of Ulster by Derry in 2006. I might argue too over Down "hammering" Tyrone in 94 and "losing narrowly in 96". Only a difference of 3 points in the winning margins! Tyrone won by 3 in 96 but were pretty much always in control of that match. Remember 98 well with Tyrone missing a load of players and losing despite scoring a couple of goals. The year after Tyrone were flying early on (9-3 ahead I think) but Down played a brilliant second half. Bit like the Sligo match of 3 years later.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on May 30, 2010, 10:51:18 PM
Quote from: Mourne Rover on May 30, 2010, 10:41:08 PM

Tyrone were knocked out in the first round of Ulster by Derry in 2006. I might argue too over Down "hammering" Tyrone in 94 and "losing narrowly in 96". Only a difference of 3 points in the winning margins! Tyrone won by 3 in 96 but were pretty much always in control of that match. Remember 98 well with Tyrone missing a load of players and losing despite scoring a couple of goals. The year after Tyrone were flying early on (9-3 ahead I think) but Down played a brilliant second half. Bit like the Sligo match of 3 years later.

Don't think the 97 match was the first round either. Tyrone beat Armagh in the 97 first round in a match Armagh kicked themselves out of. Jarlath Burns' finest hour. Possibly Tyrone played Down in the preliminary round?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

ONeill

Yea, twas a pre-lim. Derry bate Tyrone out the door in the semis.

Aaron Boone

saffron sam2

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Fuzzman

I heard Tony Davis say that the Down v Tyrone match is on 20th June not the 19th.
Wonder was that a slip of the tongue (Yuk) or not
on Ulster website it still says Sat 5.15
http://ulster.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/football/ulster-gaa-senior-football-championship-2010/fixtures/

Date: Sunday 6th Jun 2010
Ulster GAA Football Senior Championship Quarter Final 2 00 PM Casement Park Ard Mhacha  --- v  Muineachán  ---

Date: Saturday 12th Jun 2010
Ulster GAA Football Senior Championship Quarter Final 5 15 PM Kingspan Breffni Pk An Cabhán  --- v  Fear Manach  ---

Date: Saturday 19th Jun 2010
Ulster GAA Football Senior Championship Semi Final 5 15 PM TBC Tír Eoghain  --- v  An Dun  ---

Date: Sunday 27th Jun 2010
Ulster GAA Football Senior Championship Semi Final 3 30 PM  An Cabhán / Fear Manach  --- v  Muineachán / Ard Mhacha  ---

Date: Sunday 18th Jul 2010
Ulster GAA Football Senior Championship Final 2 00 PM  Semi Final 1 Winner  --- v  Semi Final 2 Winner  ---

So any injuries from the weekend?

dodgy umpire

Quote from: hardstation on May 30, 2010, 10:49:02 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 30, 2010, 10:46:08 PM
5 O'Clock on a Sat evening might be hard for me to make & wont know until nearer the time

You'll be there, stuffing Whitefort burgers into your gob.

Tyrone will win at a canter.
Why so? Down should win the midfield battle, Colm Cavanagh is shakey enough IMO and King is putting in performance after performance for us. Ambrose, all being well, will play some role in the game and he is made for this sort of contest. Despite what will inevitably be said of Down's defence, Tyrone's defence is questionable too as  Antrim proved that if you take on the Tyrone backs there are goals to be scored and who better to do that than Coulter, Clarke, Hughes and co. Should make for a great game
The Boys in Red and Black are back

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: dodgy umpire on May 31, 2010, 10:24:02 AM
Quote from: hardstation on May 30, 2010, 10:49:02 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 30, 2010, 10:46:08 PM

You'll be there, stuffing Whitefort burgers into your gob.

Tyrone will win at a canter.
Why so? Down should win the midfield battle, Colm Cavanagh is shakey enough IMO and King is putting in performance after performance for us. Ambrose, all being well, will play some role in the game and he is made for this sort of contest. Despite what will inevitably be said of Down's defence, Tyrone's defence is questionable too as  Antrim proved that if you take on the Tyrone backs there are goals to be scored and who better to do that than Coulter, Clarke, Hughes and co. Should make for a great game

Tyrone always lose midfield...and win the match ;)
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Fuzzman

Shhhh AQMP
Don't be telling everyone.

Apparently Mickey is trying out SoN as the sweeper this time at the back with Block coming in at FF with Joey sweeping behind him at Centre 3/4s forward

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 31, 2010, 11:44:07 AM
Shhhh AQMP
Don't be telling everyone.

Apparently Mickey is trying out SoN as the sweeper this time at the back with Block coming in at FF with Joey sweeping behind him at Centre 3/4s forward

That just sounds a touch far fetched. From what I hear Mickey has decided the game needs to evolve again so he's banned the hand/fist pass and abandoned MF. Instead 3 keepers will start, Packie McConnell as a roving FF for the long kick pass with Devine and Curran both in goal.

Ricey will instead be employed in a solely tactical half time role in the RTE studios, standing behind Brolly, O'Rourke and Spillane, giving them sly digs in the side, whispering into their ears about all he's gonna do to their Ma's.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken