Mayo v Roscommon - Connacht SFC Semi-Final, June 20, Venue TBC

Started by RedandGreenSniper, May 13, 2009, 09:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Who do we want and who will we get?

I think very little will separate Leitrim and Ros in Carrick on May 30/31. Roscommon's indifferent league form means they don't have the form to blow Leitrim away and if it becomes a battle, well the Leitrims will love that, against a county they hate, with home advantage. A win for Leitrim and they will be buoyant. And M&M will be back to take on Mayo so there's nothing to be complacent about with that one.

And if the Rossies win, it will erase much of the poor confidence after the league. And boy o boy will they love a crack at Mayo. Either way talk of a Connacht final is premature I think.

How will we line out? Still question marks over 6. Howley was there on Sunday but I still reckon Cunniffe is in pole position. Where will Keith Higgins go, if he makes the team? In for Kevin McLoughlin, who is not quite on his game, at corner-back? Or in at left-half back in place of Donal Vaughan? The half-forward line and midfield looks settled as do Barry Moran and O'Shea inside. But will Andy Moran start ahead of Conor Mortimer? Plenty to ponder.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 13, 2009, 09:46:04 PM
Who do we want and who will we get?

I think very little will separate Leitrim and Ros in Carrick on May 30/31. Roscommon's indifferent league form means they don't have the form to blow Leitrim away and if it becomes a battle, well the Leitrims will love that, against a county they hate, with home advantage. A win for Leitrim and they will be buoyant. And M&M will be back to take on Mayo so there's nothing to be complacent about with that one.

And if the Rossies win, it will erase much of the poor confidence after the league. And boy o boy will they love a crack at Mayo. Either way talk of a Connacht final is premature I think.

How will we line out? Still question marks over 6. Howley was there on Sunday but I still reckon Cunniffe is in pole position. Where will Keith Higgins go, if he makes the team? In for Kevin McLoughlin, who is not quite on his game, at corner-back? Or in at left-half back in place of Donal Vaughan? The half-forward line and midfield looks settled as do Barry Moran and O'Shea inside. But will Andy Moran start ahead of Conor Mortimer? Plenty to ponder.

Controversial R&GS!  ;)
Normally Barney is first to start the Mayo game threads...   :o  :D

Lets get real for a second, I dont think that talk of a Connaught final is premature. If we cant beat the Rossies or Lettrim convincingly then we kidding ourselves and we are going nowhere.

For my tuppence worth, I think Cuinneffe has done enough to start at 6 but he may not last the year. I dont think he is good enough defensively, he doesnt mark, stop or tackle enough to be an effective centre back. I think he is still there by hard work and a certain amount of luck as people seem to rate him highly as he looks good coming onto a ball and racing up the pitch. He may be found out soon but I hope im proven wrong. I reckon we could see Howley there at some stage this year if he can stay fit.

I cant see Keith Higgins breaking onto it this early. The defence is working Ok as a unit and I think if Keith was thrown in it could upset the balance. None of the defenders have done anything wrong to get dropped but they have yet to be tested and perhaps thats when Keith will get his chance.

Im not convinced with Kevin McLoughlin at corner-back yet. He doesnt seem to play with much confidence. Donal Vaughan doenst inspire me either lately but these lads are young and should get the benefit of the doubt I guess.

The Moran, O Se experiment looks set to continue. Id say there is sheer panic in the full back lines that try and compete with high balls against those two. But there both very similar and I think that two more natural scorers working off a big man inside is more effective, but time will tell.

RedandGreenSniper

An oversight on my behalf, forgot Barney usually starts these! mea cupla

Don't get me wrong I think we should beat either Roscommon or Leitrim but, and I don't wanna sound like O'Mahony here believe me, I think it can be dangerous to look past either of the two teams. Its not that long ago that we were struggling in the early part of the league and the Rossies were flying and people were very worried about that potential fixture. Has the earth spun that much since?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Foreverhopeful

suprrised to hear mcloughlin not playing well in corner, would prefer to see him at no.7 personally.
Keith higgins will def start. No doubt. conor may be left in reserve.

joemamas

[

The Moran, O Se experiment looks set to continue. Id say there is sheer panic in the full back lines that try and compete with high balls against those two. But there both very similar and I think that two more natural scorers working off a big man inside is more effective, but time will tell.
[/quote]

I was at the game on Sunday, and I would guess that this experiment is over. Moran does not have the mobilty for today's intercounty football. Really very dissapointing against New York, and quiet frankly it will not get any easier. If he was going to deliver at this level, Sunday was taylor made.  O Shea has a lot of potential, but once outside 25-30 yards tends to opt for a low percentage outside of the boot kick when going for points.

For the record, Trevor Mortimer shooting was to say the least abysmal on Sunday, missed 1-4 in the second-half alone, shots for points were for the most part uncontested, shot for goal straight and high at goalie. I love his effort, but my feeling is that opposing defenders will back off him and let him shoot. 

It is my belief that Mayo's lack of point scoring threat from 30+ yards out will haunt us later this year. We have two of three natural scoring forwards, not enough when push comes to shove.

Tubberman

Obviously the team and management's focus has to be 100% on Leitrim/Ros, not on Galway. Assuming they get that right, I'd be very confident we'll be in the Connacht Final.
McLoughlin has great potential and was the main man for the U-21s this year. I'd like to see him in the corner for this game, but if his form lets him down, Keith Higgins is a great option to call on (if his fitness levels are up to scratch). Liam O'Malley has been there throughout the league and deserves the other corner spot.

I'd agree that Cunniffe is still in pole position for CHB. He was there throughout the league and wasn't really given the runaround in any of the games, and did a very good job on Joyce in the Galway match. Like Abbeysider, I wouldn't have been be too confident about his ability to be a tough CHB who makes the position his own, hits hard and stops opposition attacks. He seems to let opposition run by him a bit too often. But the defence that played throughout the league did very well as a unit and have earned the right to start on 20th May. As well as that, Howley is only recovering from a long-term injury so easing him back would be no harm.
Vaughan seems to have lost form (or had up to NY game anyway), even in the U-21 semi v Down he was very loose I thought. I think Heaney or Keith Higgins could be in line for a start here.

Not surprised to hear what joemamas had to say about T Mort in NY. He's a great worker and always gives it 100% but for a forward who's been on the senior panel for around 10 years, his shooting and passing are very poor. I'm far from convinced that putting him in CHF, such a pivotal playmaker position, is a wise decision. To me, he'd be 10 or 12, and used to win breaking ball around midfield, help out the half backs when required etc He will work himself into the ground, which is what is needed for that role.
Dillon seems like he'd be well suited to CHF, but when he's been put there he doesn't seem to play as well as out on the wing. So I'd have Harte at CHF, with Dillon and T Mort either side. If we had another option at midfield, I think Parsons has the makings of a very good CHF.    

Disappointing to hear B Moran and O'Shea experiment didn't really work - I thought this could be a really big plus for us this year. Since we don't have forwards who can regularly score from 30 yards+, getting quick ball into the FF line is the obvious way of picking up scores. It might just need more work in training to get this gameplan working. If not, O'Shea will be the target man and I'd say Andy Moran and C Mort will be either side of him. JOM always seems to find a place for Andy, so he may nudge out AOM, who would be a bit unlucky since he played almost every game in the league I think.  
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

moysider

Quote from: joemamas on May 14, 2009, 02:11:34 AM
[

I was at the game on Sunday, and I would guess that this experiment is over. Moran does not have the mobilty for today's intercounty football. Really very dissapointing against New York, and quiet frankly it will not get any easier. If he was going to deliver at this level, Sunday was taylor made.  O Shea has a lot of potential, but once outside 25-30 yards tends to opt for a low percentage outside of the boot kick when going for points.

For the record, Trevor Mortimer shooting was to say the least abysmal on Sunday, missed 1-4 in the second-half alone, shots for points were for the most part uncontested, shot for goal straight and high at goalie. I love his effort, but my feeling is that opposing defenders will back off him and let him shoot. 

It is my belief that Mayo's lack of point scoring threat from 30+ yards out will haunt us later this year. We have two of three natural scoring forwards, not enough when push comes to shove.
[/quote]

Moran must be minding the hamstring so. Lack of mobility was never an issue with him. Was he stuck in the 15 corner? Part of a 2 man inside line? I d prefer to see him at 14 with O Sé playing wider than the other way around. Moran s good form of 2 years ago too vital if he can reproduce it. I d stick with him. I m afraid we ll have to put up with Trevor s faults at this stage but you d expect him to wise up a bit on the wild shooting.

AbbeySider

Quote from: moysider on May 14, 2009, 10:50:25 AM
Moran must be minding the hamstring so. Lack of mobility was never an issue with him. Was he stuck in the 15 corner? Part of a 2 man inside line? I d prefer to see him at 14 with O Sé playing wider than the other way around. Moran s good form of 2 years ago too vital if he can reproduce it. I d stick with him. I m afraid we ll have to put up with Trevor s faults at this stage but you d expect him to wise up a bit on the wild shooting.

and soloing, and passing....

kevmy

Tbh I think its a bit ridiculous what people are saying about Keith Higgins. He'd be one of the first men on the team sheet for me. He is better than either of the corner backs and either of the wing backs that played against NY. He's been consistently our best player over the last 2 years and captained the U21s to glory. We need leaders and our best players on the pitch. Remember he didn't travel to NY to play with the hurlers so he probably got just as tough a game at home. He will start the Connacht final (if we get there) so he should start this game. The only issue is where to play him.

As for the rest I think our midfield and half forwards are fairly settled although like most I'd have Harte at CHF and Trev on the wing.

Up front we could well see Andy, Barry and Austie in the FF line. I think O'Sé have the LC around that time and Mort might n't be up to full fitness

Tubberman

QuoteTbh I think its a bit ridiculous what people are saying about Keith Higgins. He'd be one of the first men on the team sheet for me. He is better than either of the corner backs and either of the wing backs that played against NY. He's been consistently our best player over the last 2 years and captained the U21s to glory. We need leaders and our best players on the pitch. Remember he didn't travel to NY to play with the hurlers so he probably got just as tough a game at home. He will start the Connacht final (if we get there) so he should start this game. The only issue is where to play him

The only reason I wouldn't start him is lack of match fitness and match practice. He's only back from Australia a few weeks. I don't know if he was keeping himself fit over there, but it's probably safe to assume he was taking it easy enough. And even if he was going for runs etc, he wasn't playing football. I'm sure it would take more than a couple of week's training to bring him back up to the standard to be playing a full 70 mins of intercounty championship football.
I'd imagine he'll play some of the match, so it's a decision on whether to start him and take him off when he tires, or bring him on for the second half or something like that.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

OirthearMhaigheo

Mad Wesht were saying O'Shea should have finished the leaving by the time the semi comes around so hopefully we'll see him. I think B Moran is worth sticking with, he didn't lack any mobility against McCloy up in Derry in 2007, so if he gets sharp again and stays injury free himself and O'Shea could cause chaos in the FF line. With Harte, Dillon and T Mort running off them from the half forward line it could be a good tactic and should create goal chances. This all depends on the lads sticking to the game plan and letting it in long and early to the fir mór and let the 'ladeens' play off them.

rosnarun

NOt sure what game you were at Moran looked very sharp sunday and will have well cemented his place. as will have t howley. cunniffe may well get a jersey but not num 6 i think. A o se will def start too but im not so sure it will be at full forward . he was brought to CHF for a lot of the second half after one of trevors more exotic shhoting days. he was truly woeful on sunday. not sure i ever saw such a bad performance from a man on a winning team. I still think himself and conor should be the corner forwards with moran in the middle.
after sunday my curremey front 6 would be(though ronaldson is probably only excluded by his absence on sunday, with trevor hanging by a thread)

dillon A O Se A moran
Cmort Bmoran  Tmort
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

highorlow

Barney is probably on Honeymoon?

Didn't he say his wedding interfered with the New York trip / game.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

AbbeySider

Quote from: rosnarun on May 14, 2009, 07:11:09 PM
NOt sure what game you were at Moran looked very sharp sunday and will have well cemented his place. as will have t howley. cunniffe may well get a jersey but not num 6 i think. A o se will def start too but im not so sure it will be at full forward . he was brought to CHF for a lot of the second half after one of trevors more exotic shhoting days. he was truly woeful on sunday. not sure i ever saw such a bad performance from a man on a winning team. I still think himself and conor should be the corner forwards with moran in the middle.
after sunday my curremey front 6 would be(though ronaldson is probably only excluded by his absence on sunday, with trevor hanging by a thread)

dillon A O Se A moran
Cmort Bmoran  Tmort

Looked very sharp..?   Against who?  ::) 
Whatever can be taken from league form, nothing can be taken from walloping a team like New York.
I wouldnt say any positions would be guaranteed after a match like that. They shouldnt really pose much of a test for Mayo so you cant really tell much from it.

moysider

Quote from: highorlow on May 14, 2009, 08:53:45 PM
Barney is probably on Honeymoon?

Didn't he say his wedding interfered with the New York trip / game.

I thought he said he was having his wedding deferred because of the NY trip. We need clarification.

Nobody has mentioned Harte in dispatches back to the old world. Scored 1-1 and had an assist in O Sé s goal. Mid-west identified him as being to the fore in the awakening after the sluggish start. Pat Holmes ( for whatever his opinion is worth) had him man of match but curiously no mention from those present here. The local papers were happy enough with him it has to be said. Yet one contributer on here is going to drop him for the next match I wonder.