Tipp V Clare

Started by slow corner back, June 19, 2009, 04:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slow corner back

Friday, 19 June 2009 13:05
What a difference a year makes. When these two sides met in the Munster final just under 12 months ago Clare were on a high following impressive victories over Waterford and Limeick.

And even though they were beaten on the day and would eventually exit the All-Ireland series at the hands of Cork at the quarter-final stage, there was the feeling that the Banner were heading in the right direction.

But whatever progress was made last summer dissipated in a NHL Division One campaign that ended with relegation and amid persistent rumours of problems within the camp.

And the loss of full-back Conor Cooney through an ankle ligament injury doesn't bode well for Mike McNamara's men.

For Tipp, on the other hand, the outlook is good. A hard-fought win over Cork, which followed a narrow defeat in their epic league final defeat to Kilkenny, will have brought them up to Championship speed, which will be a distinct advantage over Sunday's opponents.

Add to that the confidence that is exuding from the Premier County these days, and it is hard to see anything but a comfortable win at the Gaelic Grounds for Liam Sheedy's men.

Sheedy has wisely decided not t**ker too much with a winning formula, with Pat Kerwick coming into the forward line at the expense of Micheál Webster the only change in personnel.

Eoin Kelly was a surprise starter the last day, but the Mullinahone sharpshooter showed no signs of the back trouble that saw him sit out the league campaign.

There is always the chance that wounded pride could bring the best out of Clare, but even then they would struggle against a Tipp side with Kilkenny's All-Ireland crown in their sights.

Verdict: Tipperary

Taken from RTE.ie

Wouldnt hold out a lot of hope for Clare in this match although Tipp were not overly impressive the last day against Cork especially when Cork upped the tempo in the second half. Sheedy seemed to panic in the second half and they just about held out. However Tipps problems pale into insignifigance compared to Clares. A horrible league for Clare followed by a row with Gerry Quinn. Currenyly missing a full back and pulling Griffin back to midfield and Markham to the half backs looks very much like damage limitation from mike mac. Tipp with a bit to spare.

mckieran

Yeah, I would fancy Tipp big time here too. Cant see Clare getting anywhere near them. I think Tipp are better than they looked the last day too

Bord na Mona man

What is the story with Mike Mac?
I heard a fella on Setanta saying that Mike Mac messed up Clare in the league by training them hard the day before their winnable games against Waterford and Limerick.

He did the same with Offaly in the 2004 league. He felt they were they were going to make the knockout phases and ran the hell out of them before they played Limerick. It lead to Offaly losing and ending up the relegation group and losing all their previously earned points.

In '98 Ger Loughnane blamed him for running the living daylights out of the Clare lads on the Tuesday night before they played Offaly in Game 3.

It seems his masochistic desire to punish teams comes before his desire to let them hurl.

milltown row

tipp flying now 1-5 to 0-1 Clare are shite. Lar Corbet with the goal

watching the Dublin game online, cracking match with Dublin up by 4 in the first half. 0-11 to 0-7

milltown row

great goal by McMahon for clare but getting hammered still 2-11 to 1-7

orangeman

Tipp 3-18 Clare 1-22  Clare must have recovered very well.

milltown row

Tipp were overplaying the ball too many times. had they taken their points in the first half instead of going for goal they would have been 12/13 point winners.

great spirit by Clare all the same and showed that the Galway game could be tighter

Zulu

I was in the GG today and Tipp are really beginning to look like a team with some style but little substance, I thought it was a bad enough game with both teams quite poor at different stages. Scores came too easy for both teams and considering Tipp would hope to challenge Kilkenny that is a serious weakness for them.

SLIGONIAN

Great spirit by Clare but Tipp played down a level today, it was poor stuff IMO compared to Galway KK. Clare have great new free taker though and hopefully theyll build on that.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

orangeman

Did you see on the Sunday game where Big Diarmaid Mc Mahon took a shot, it hit the post and came back out but the umpire gave the goal ?????????

I know umpires can make mistakes but this was ridiculous. Imagine if Clare had won by a point or two ???

Premier Emperor

Quote from: orangeman on June 22, 2009, 10:31:38 AM
Did you see on the Sunday game where Big Diarmaid Mc Mahon took a shot, it hit the post and came back out but the umpire gave the goal ?????????
Madness!
Where do they get these lads from?

Luckily Tipp always had the situation under control.

Premier Emperor

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 22, 2009, 08:01:03 AM
Great spirit by Clare but Tipp played down a level today, it was poor stuff IMO compared to Galway KK.
Tipp of old would have beaten Clare out the gate and shown no mercy, which I would have enjoyed immensely.
However we are pacing ourselves for another assault on the Cats at the business end of the championship.

Bitta-Banter

I still think it was a goal.I think it hit one of Cummin's spare Hurls.Judging by the reaction of all players including McMahon, Cummins, and Tipp full backs.There was no complaints at all.Also if the ball had hit the post it would have rebounded out much quicker than it did.I couldnt really tell from the tv pics what it hit,but one of Cummins Hurls fell to the ground.