Ireland's Greatest Sporting Moment RTE 2

Started by BennyCake, November 09, 2017, 09:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longballin

So no GAA representation and likely no GAA moment to decide greatest moment tonight... a joke of a programme. 

Rossfan

It's RTÉ so it'll  be a rubby game that wins - probably the time we bailed out the homeless IRFU by letting them play England in Croke Pk.
They seem to have an obsession with that in Dublin 4.

PS - haven't watched any of this thing and have no intention of doing so
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Therealdonald

Quote from: Rossfan on December 07, 2017, 04:23:57 PM
It's RTÉ so it'll  be a rubby game that wins - probably the time we bailed out the homeless IRFU by letting them play England in Croke Pk.

I personally don't see what the big deal is with letting the IRFU use Croker. My best memory of sport in Croker is probably the night of the 125 celebration in , it was a great night and made you feel proud of what the GAA stood for. I've said it earlier and I'll say it again, Harrington's major win in 07 is going to win this. Arguably Ireland's greatest sporting achievement on a personal level and there's no allegations of doping, cheating, ill-will and as a bigger plus he's not Barry the brit.

laoislad

Quote from: longballin on December 07, 2017, 01:47:59 PM
So no GAA representation and likely no GAA moment to decide greatest moment tonight... a joke of a programme.
It's voted for by the public. There were a few GAA moments to be voted for but didn't get enough votes so maybe you should have voted for them.
Italia 90 is easily the standout moment in Irish Sporting history anyway. I would be surprised if it doesn't win easily.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

BennyCake

Quote from: laoislad on December 07, 2017, 04:46:44 PM
It's voted for by the public. There were a few GAA moments to be voted for but didn't get enough votes so maybe you should have voted for them.
Italia 90 is easily the standout moment in Irish Sporting history anyway. I would be surprised if it doesn't win easily.

Yes but I don't think the original 5 options from each era were chosen by the public.

tonto1888

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 01, 2017, 08:53:33 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on December 01, 2017, 03:42:59 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on December 01, 2017, 02:38:38 PM
Quote from: Syferus on December 01, 2017, 12:22:21 PM
The Grand Slam was easily the sporting moment of the 00s. Not even close.

Grand slam? Beating 5 other teams in a non-world event?? Get a grip. Harrington was the correct choice.f**king egg chasers is right. They beat 3/4 of a New Zealand team last year in a FRIENDLY and the country was in meltdown. They get far too much hype whereas Harrington didn't get enough
In Euro 88, Holland had five games in a non-world event, didn't even win them all and still were champions. Still, I'm sure they had a better sporting achievement that year too.

But football is a global sport, it survives by itself due to its global appeal.

Scoring a last minute equaliser against one of football's superpowers in the dying minutes of a group game at a World Cup may seem trivial but when you view it in its context it's a whole lot more than winning an annual 6 team tournament in a sport where only about 8 countries take semi-seriously.

If truth be told the Irish team are one massive set of over-hyped, under achieving fun boys. They've never been past the last 8 in the World Cup in a sport only 8 teams take seriously. They're the only one of the 8 sides that take it seriously that have never been in the last 4 of a World Cup.

It's popularity in this country is more to do with its social outing culture and the increased chance of success given the small competition pool, there's a disproportionate amount of women at rugby matches compared to other sports. Most lads who attend rugby matches these days have never played an organised game of rugby in their life, that's an odd association with the game.

Im curious. Who are the 8 teams that take it seriously?

Esmarelda

Are you implying that it's fixed? The most watched sports events on RTE last year were mainly GAA and soccer so I don't follow your logic.

Well a hurling event couldn't possibly be expected to win. The Liam McCarthy is only played between a handful of teams and it's not a worldwide sport. Did you not read the lads' opinions on rugby below.

Soccer it is so.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: tonto1888 on December 07, 2017, 04:50:24 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 01, 2017, 08:53:33 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on December 01, 2017, 03:42:59 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on December 01, 2017, 02:38:38 PM
Quote from: Syferus on December 01, 2017, 12:22:21 PM
The Grand Slam was easily the sporting moment of the 00s. Not even close.

Grand slam? Beating 5 other teams in a non-world event?? Get a grip. Harrington was the correct choice.f**king egg chasers is right. They beat 3/4 of a New Zealand team last year in a FRIENDLY and the country was in meltdown. They get far too much hype whereas Harrington didn't get enough
In Euro 88, Holland had five games in a non-world event, didn't even win them all and still were champions. Still, I'm sure they had a better sporting achievement that year too.

But football is a global sport, it survives by itself due to its global appeal.

Scoring a last minute equaliser against one of football's superpowers in the dying minutes of a group game at a World Cup may seem trivial but when you view it in its context it's a whole lot more than winning an annual 6 team tournament in a sport where only about 8 countries take semi-seriously.

If truth be told the Irish team are one massive set of over-hyped, under achieving fun boys. They've never been past the last 8 in the World Cup in a sport only 8 teams take seriously. They're the only one of the 8 sides that take it seriously that have never been in the last 4 of a World Cup.

It's popularity in this country is more to do with its social outing culture and the increased chance of success given the small competition pool, there's a disproportionate amount of women at rugby matches compared to other sports. Most lads who attend rugby matches these days have never played an organised game of rugby in their life, that's an odd association with the game.

Im curious. Who are the 8 teams that take it seriously?

South Africa
New Zealand
Australia
France
Ireland
Wales
Scotland
England

Only New Zealand have it as their main sport.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Esmarelda on December 07, 2017, 04:50:48 PM

Are you implying that it's fixed? The most watched sports events on RTE last year were mainly GAA and soccer so I don't follow your logic.

Well a hurling event couldn't possibly be expected to win. The Liam McCarthy is only played between a handful of teams and it's not a worldwide sport. Did you not read the lads' opinions on rugby below.

Soccer it is so.

Ireland have never won the major prize in rugby, in fact they've never even made in past the last 8.

longballin

Soccer it is so.

soccer because everyone went on the lash and sang ole ole...

Rossfan

I believe the last 4 are Italia 90 and Germany 1988 from Soccery stuff
Harrington from golf and a fkn friendly rubby match
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Unless something bizarre happens this will all amount to the media yet again saying 'Remember Italia 90? Wasn't it grand?'

A series that dedicated each episode to a given moment and interviewing those involved would have been much better viewing.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 07, 2017, 06:54:29 PM

Soccer it is so.

Ireland have never won the major prize in rugby, in fact they've never even made in past the last 8.
And in soccer they've won what? I get that you don't like rugby, neither do I. But your arguments make no sense to me.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Esmarelda on December 07, 2017, 10:26:06 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 07, 2017, 06:54:29 PM

Soccer it is so.

And in soccer they've won what? I get that you don't like rugby, neither do I. But your arguments make no sense to me.

The same they have in rugby and football in a global sport which is the no. 1 sport all over the world. Being 8th in a game around 8 countries take half seriously is no great achievement. Being in top 8 in a sport hundreds of countries take very seriously is a far greater feat.

You don't seem to be getting it in any case so I'll try once more.

Rugby, very small, very limited global participation.
Football, very big, massive global participation.

foxcommander

No need for an expensive TV show. Just show the penalty shootout - Ireland Vs Romania in 1990. Especially David O'Leary's winner.

I don't know how anything else could even be considered. The country went f**king nuts.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie