The Christmas Thread

Started by Square Ball, October 15, 2007, 01:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

Quote from: HiMucker on December 17, 2015, 02:27:52 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on December 17, 2015, 01:56:32 PM
Outside lights seem to be a big thing this year. I know some people hate them and some love them. Personally i love a few, the bigger the better!!
I have to say I love them.  I love all the tacky decorations and colour.  My women does my head in as the Christmas tree is done up perfectly matching with gold and normal lights.  She wont let coloured lights and coloured tinsel anywhere near it.  Tackier the better for me
Yep, Christmas decorations should be colorful, shiny and tacky. I'm not fond of the subtler, more fashionably decorated trees either. Love looking at all the outdoor light displays, but a voice in the back of my head tells me that the use of all this excess, unnecessary electricity is vulgar and thoughtless given the state the environment is in.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: tyrone girl on December 09, 2015, 10:31:28 AM
Im not a handbag type of girl. If he landed to me with a 300 quid handbag id beat him over the head with it. I have to pick everything.
This year, fitbit, satnav, new kindle, i am trying to think of a few more things to add to that. Thats for myself.
I have to say I'm looking forward to your adventures following a satnav.  ;D

For anyone buying a PS4 this year I would recommend upgrading to a larger hard drive or buy the 1TB option. The games now are massive and come with regular multi-Gb updates. The wains have been yapping for a while now that they have to uninstall games to install other ones. I installed a 2TB drive yesterday but for new buyers you'd be better doing it before anything goes on it.

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on December 22, 2015, 01:57:30 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on December 17, 2015, 02:27:52 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on December 17, 2015, 01:56:32 PM
Outside lights seem to be a big thing this year. I know some people hate them and some love them. Personally i love a few, the bigger the better!!
I have to say I love them.  I love all the tacky decorations and colour.  My women does my head in as the Christmas tree is done up perfectly matching with gold and normal lights.  She wont let coloured lights and coloured tinsel anywhere near it.  Tackier the better for me
Yep, Christmas decorations should be colorful, shiny and tacky. I'm not fond of the subtler, more fashionably decorated trees either. Love looking at all the outdoor light displays, but a voice in the back of my head tells me that the use of all this excess, unnecessary electricity is vulgar and thoughtless given the state the environment is in.
+1

I think it is all "look at me" as well.
I think the St Vincent De Paul get closer to Christmas
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Asal Mor

Quote from: seafoid on December 22, 2015, 02:14:28 PM

Very true seafoid. There's a fair bit of money spent on these light displays too. I know the kids love them but when my daughter is old enough to understand I plan to teach her that instead of wasting a load of money on lights and decorations and even presents, we'll use that money to help someone who's in a bad way. Rather than donating the money to a charity, I'd hope we could help someone directly so my daughter can see the benefit of it and learn from it. That's the plan anyway.

I was buying presents for some of my nephews and nieces(whose parents are pretty well-off) recently, and it was difficult to find something that would be of any interest to them, because they just have so much crap already. I've done the whole consumer Christmas this year because it's my first one after a good few years abroad, but I won't be doing it next year(again, that's the plan anyway).

Puckoon

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 22, 2015, 12:34:13 PM
Right lads, and ladies, finishing up for Christmas today at work, and the next couple of days will be manic I suppose with trips to Kerry and sundry other places. So Wishing ye and yers a happy, peaceful Christmas, and here's to a great 2016.

Merry Christmas AZ.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Asal Mor on December 22, 2015, 06:32:32 PM

Very true seafoid. There's a fair bit of money spent on these light displays too. I know the kids love them but when my daughter is old enough to understand I plan to teach her that instead of wasting a load of money on lights and decorations and even presents, we'll use that money to help someone who's in a bad way. Rather than donating the money to a charity, I'd hope we could help someone directly so my daughter can see the benefit of it and learn from it. That's the plan anyway.

I was buying presents for some of my nephews and nieces(whose parents are pretty well-off) recently, and it was difficult to find something that would be of any interest to them, because they just have so much crap already. I've done the whole consumer Christmas this year because it's my first one after a good few years abroad, but I won't be doing it next year(again, that's the plan anyway).
Have all the Trocaire goats been put out to pasture. That fad seems to have all but disappeared.

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on December 22, 2015, 06:32:32 PM

Thats a good idea, Asal. I think a lot of what teenagers are exposed to now on the net is me me me or look at you you are not good enough
and  it is way too narcissistic. Doing stuff for other people is good for the soul. 

seafoid

Kids awake at half 6. I suppose it could have been worse

AZOffaly

Quarter past 8, and had to wake the youngest. Result 😀

illdecide

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 25, 2015, 11:08:58 AM

Exactly the same here...although didn't get to bed until 2:00 putting their stuff out.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Tony Baloney

Quote from: illdecide on December 25, 2015, 01:29:15 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 25, 2015, 11:08:58 AM

Exactly the same here...although didn't get to bed until 2:00 putting their stuff out.
Santa has got awful lazy.

Wains not asleep til well after 12 last night  >:(. First attempt at downstairs was 5.30 but held them off until 7.

Hopefully they get to bed earlyish tonight so I can get a rattle on this Star Wars game for the PS4.

Aaron Boone

Looking like 6pm before I have the turkey. All I can do is drink and have a sneaky bet on the Turkish football.

omaghjoe

trileacman

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 27, 2016, 09:44:45 PM
Looks like the Lancet are joining the every growing list of scrooges.....

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/nov/23/belief-in-santa-could-affect-parent-child-relationships-warns-study

Who was the gobshite on here who didn't tell there kids about santa because it was a lie?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

omaghjoe

Quote from: trileacman on November 28, 2016, 01:03:01 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on November 27, 2016, 09:44:45 PM
Looks like the Lancet are joining the every growing list of scrooges.....

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/nov/23/belief-in-santa-could-affect-parent-child-relationships-warns-study

Who was the gobshite on here who didn't tell there kids about santa because it was a lie?

;D ;D ;D Ahhhh there's always one.... We have friends and the fella said he told her wanted to do something similar..... she give him a quare dressing down and he slumped back in line.