Started by Square Ball, October 15, 2007, 01:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 26, 2012, 08:25:26 PM
Quote from: ONeill on December 26, 2012, 05:21:12 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 26, 2012, 02:05:16 PM
Quote from: ONeill on December 26, 2012, 08:26:18 AM
Quote from: Ard-Rí on December 26, 2012, 06:28:45 AM
If there's anything worse than ignorance of Irish, it's making people insecure about speaking it because they haven't reached technical mastery of the language.

Nollaig shona daoibh go léir, bainigí taitneamh as an séasúr.

Any hoor who is insecure about something on the gaaboard needs to be relentlessly bullied. Immediately.
Arrra, get up the yard, ya baldy oul' goat; you, of all people, have some neck in complaining about the shite that anyone else posts.
I bet the any time a moany Tyronie grabbed the Sam Maguire and screeched, "A chairde Ghaeil, tá .an-áthas orm an corn seo a ghlachadh..." into a bloody microphone, ya didn't let it bother ya, did ya?
So who's the hypocrite then, hah?
As you put it succinctly (like that one?) yourself:
"Any hoor who is insecure about something on the gaaboard needs to be relentlessly bullied. Immediately."

Watch your inbox... Grrrr..!!

Bothers me? Of course it bothered me. Brian Dooher fumbling around a few words in Irish in a Donemana accent and no one had a clue what he's saying. Waste of breath.
Was at school with Dooher, smart cub, good at Irish too, good at everything. Donemana isnt too far from where last native speakers in Tyrone lived so accent would be pretty authentic
Bedad, you'd be wasting your time if you are trying to talk sense to that O'Neill codger.
Them teachers I tell ya are the damn ruination of this board. Overpaid and underworked the whole damn lot of them! No wonder they spend so much time on this board arsing about and trying to annoy ordinary decent criminals people like the rest of us.
I bet that fecker got a whole assload of pressies from the poor kids that have the misfortune to put with him  before Santy put a foot on his chimney. Intimidation saw to that.
One thing for certain, póg  mo thón is what I'll stick on my New Year card to him!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ONeill

This St Stephen lad. I believe he was a Jew himself. He was stoned to death by St Paul who was a Jew at the time.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ONeill on December 27, 2012, 01:29:28 AM
This St Stephen lad. I believe he was a Jew himself. He was stoned to death by St Paul who was a Jew at the time.

There was me thinking it was after the Gaffer. I wonder what they call it down in Maryborough! Wonder could Queenscountylad tell us.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

seafoid

Quote from: ONeill on December 26, 2012, 05:21:12 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 26, 2012, 02:05:16 PM
Quote from: ONeill on December 26, 2012, 08:26:18 AM
Quote from: Ard-Rí on December 26, 2012, 06:28:45 AM
If there's anything worse than ignorance of Irish, it's making people insecure about speaking it because they haven't reached technical mastery of the language.

Nollaig shona daoibh go léir, bainigí taitneamh as an séasúr.

Any hoor who is insecure about something on the gaaboard needs to be relentlessly bullied. Immediately.
Arrra, get up the yard, ya baldy oul' goat; you, of all people, have some neck in complaining about the shite that anyone else posts.
I bet the any time a moany Tyronie grabbed the Sam Maguire and screeched, "A chairde Ghaeil, tá .an-áthas orm an corn seo a ghlachadh..." into a bloody microphone, ya didn't let it bother ya, did ya?
So who's the hypocrite then, hah?
As you put it succinctly (like that one?) yourself:
"Any hoor who is insecure about something on the gaaboard needs to be relentlessly bullied. Immediately."

Watch your inbox... Grrrr..!!

Bothers me? Of course it bothered me. Brian Dooher fumbling around a few words in Irish in a Donemana accent and no one had a clue what he's saying. Waste of breath.

Where did the "Donemana accent" come from originally ?
Is it from the Home Counties ?
And where did the name Donemana come from? Is it Hungarian ? 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ONeill

Dún na Manach. Means the dwarf from the border.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

Quote from: ONeill on December 27, 2012, 09:10:39 AM
Dún na Manach. Means the dwarf from the border.
The Anglicisations of Irish place names are sometimes like the preservation in amber of the local blas at the time the names were turned into English.

Eg Doo in Tyrone v Duff in Kerry 

Or "Limerick" from "Luimneach"- the Connacht blas often has the pronunciation of "r" in place of "n" .

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/f90b88dc-462f-11e2-b780-00144feabdc0.html

why is English spelling such a tangle? It all started when Latin-speaking missionaries arrived in Britain in the 6th century without enough letters in their alphabet. They had 23. (They didn't have "j", "u" or "w".) Yet the Germanic Anglo-Saxon languages had at least 37 phonemes, or distinctive sounds. The Romans didn't have a letter, for example, for the Anglo-Saxon sound we spell "th". The problem continues. Most English-speakers today have, depending on their accents, 40 phonemes, which we have to render using 26 letters

I wonder how many phonemes Ulster Irish has
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hardy

Quote from: seafoid on December 27, 2012, 10:11:47 AM
I wonder how many phonemes Ulster Irish has

I'd say you'll be hearing in no time that it's way more than anyone else's Irish.

Under Lights

One year ago this man made one epic journey. Lest we forget.

Hereiam

Would love to get a Christmas card from these boyo's

Milltown Row2

Anyone know where in Belfast to get a record player converter? either for a USB or CD. Seen ones on Amazon but no use to me as its a prezzie for Xmas for her indoors.

Anyone got one before? do you need speakers also. £ 150 is the budget we've given ourselves. And I'm sticking to it or under it for sure....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Under Lights

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 09, 2013, 08:34:42 PM
Anyone know where in Belfast to get a record player converter? either for a USB or CD. Seen ones on Amazon but no use to me as its a prezzie for Xmas for her indoors.

Anyone got one before? do you need speakers also. £ 150 is the budget we've given ourselves. And I'm sticking to it or under it for sure....

What do you mean the one on Amazon is no good to you? can't you get it delivered to work?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Under Lights on December 09, 2013, 08:40:44 PM

What do you mean the one on Amazon is no good to you? can't you get it delivered to work?

Suppose never thought you could send it to different billing address, would prefer to pay cash also though and have a look at it before buying so I won't have to get extras, needles, speakers or whatever else,  we bank online and I like keeping things secret lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jeepers Creepers

Richer Sounds in Gresham street will be your best bet. The nerds will tell you everything you want to know. And they'll price match. Think there a Denon model that could be up your street.

J OGorman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 linkc=5138.msg1303980#msg1303980 date=1386621282

I have a Ion Profile Pro  . Its a great job. Have a good set of Creative A300 speakers with a bass unit attached which I just connect into the headphone socket of laptop. Works a treat and the sound is brilliant. Bought a1971 Sinatra Christmas album froma charity shop last week...some treat in the evenings with a wee sherry or 2.

PCWorld or Maplin are bound to stock them

Now the important question...any records for sale?? :-)
(Rock, metal, alt country or folk)

J OGorman

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on December 09, 2013, 08:54:59 PM

Richer Sounds in Gresham street will be your best bet. The nerds will tell you everything you want to know. And they'll price match. Think there a Denon model that could be up your street.

I thought it was to maybe retire the vinyl to mp3. Denon = £££