The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 12, 2021, 11:43:50 AM
Nationalists can earn more money and pay more tax, the unionists can get less money and pay less tax, so it evens itself out, everyone is a winner here.

You do know that on the median salary in the 6 counties that deductions (most social insurance) are almost £1000 more than the person on the equivalent salary in the ROI, although this is of course below the median.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

And we don't have to pay for public hospital appointments ....
Although like the North you might have a long wait...
46% of us get free GP services.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on April 12, 2021, 12:15:23 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 12, 2021, 11:43:50 AM
Nationalists can earn more money and pay more tax, the unionists can get less money and pay less tax, so it evens itself out, everyone is a winner here.

You do know that on the median salary in the 6 counties that deductions (most social insurance) are almost £1000 more than the person on the equivalent salary in the ROI, although this is of course below the median.
What's the % difference between the median salaries?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on April 12, 2021, 12:47:06 PM

Work colleague says she pays 50 quid for doctors appointment and if she has to go to hospital its 100 quid.. Maybe she's full of shit

Are prescriptions free in the south?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

smelmoth

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on April 11, 2021, 09:55:58 PM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on April 11, 2021, 09:50:14 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 11, 2021, 09:42:04 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 11, 2021, 05:31:37 PM
Why should a Protestant have any affinity to another country? To them the south is just another county on the same land mass.

I think it's you that has a problem with understanding your neighbours.

A woman I used to work viewed the south as a completely foreign country. To be fair to her it was what she was brought up with to her you might as well be talking about somewhere in South America or the like. It is a school of thought.
Worked with a woman like that too. She went to Rosses Point for a weekend break once and told me about it as if she was offering a hand across the barricades but also that it was a once in a lifetime excursion.

A lot of people here don't call England foreign . Always rags me. Going "foreign"  and going to  England are completely different things. If it's not Ireland it's foreign and you are a foreigner imo

Is that really worth getting "ragged" about? There are better things you could be doing with your time

smelmoth

Whatever happens next will be governed by the GFA. I think if SF and DUP were to take another look at the agreement they will see a lot of things they don't like. If they try to wriggle out of GFA they will see that the other signatories (Dublin, London, Washington and Brussels) won't let them.

The referendum in the north will be on the same day as the referendum in the south. The referendum will be binary. Voters on the north will have a Yes/No decision to make on a specific question. The detail of the proposal will have to be spelled out before the vote. If voters are concerned about a UI acting as trigger for trouble in the North they will get to see the detail of the accommodation for unionists up front. If they are concerned about the cost of taking on NI they will see this before they vote. It's clear that citizens in the south will have to give up some sovereignty. That too will be spelled out.

There is a huge amount of work to be done in advance.

I thought O'Neill struck the correct tone last week on the Prince Philip death. SF will have to work out that unionist baiting will get them nowhere. Least of all in any RoI referendum

trailer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 12, 2021, 01:19:59 PM

Work colleague says she pays 50 quid for doctors appointment and if she has to go to hospital its 100 quid.. Maybe she's full of shit

I'd gladly pay £50 to see GP. I'd also pay to get an operation done. At this minute in time our NHS is fucked. Getting an appointment for anything is impossible.

imtommygunn

You only have to look at that dashboard. The numbers in hospital with covid has reduced massively and yet the occupancy is sitting in the very high 90s. It is creaking and only seems to ever get worse with less and less funding.

The consolidation of GPs practises mean that appointments just become more and more of a nightmare to get too.

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on April 12, 2021, 01:12:34 PM

]What's the % difference between the median salaries?

2019 full time employees (2020 is all over the place)

NI £28000 https://www.nisra.gov.uk/statistics/labour-market-and-social-welfare/annual-survey-hours-and-earnings
ROI €48,946 https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/elca/earningsandlabourcostsannualdata2019/

so about 50% higher in the 26 counties on these numbers.

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on April 12, 2021, 02:48:42 PM

NI £28000 https://www.nisra.gov.uk/statistics/labour-market-and-social-welfare/annual-survey-hours-and-earnings
ROI €48,946 https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/elca/earningsandlabourcostsannualdata2019/

That is incredible.
In the 50s even in Crossmaglen Nationalists would concede that NI was better than the South because of social supports.
Now the South is far wealthier.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on April 12, 2021, 02:48:42 PM

So this is the median pay scales? What's the National averages
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 12, 2021, 02:42:51 PM
You only have to look at that dashboard. The numbers in hospital with covid has reduced massively and yet the occupancy is sitting in the very high 90s. It is creaking and only seems to ever get worse with less and less funding.

The consolidation of GPs practises mean that appointments just become more and more of a nightmare to get too.

Even before the pandemic you wouldn't get to see your GP without a weeks wait

Rossfan

54% of us have to pay to see a GP.
A&E is €100 unless you have a doctor's letter (or brought in by ambulance?). No charge with a doc's letter.
39% of us get almost free prescriptions (50c per item I think)
The rest of us only get them free above €114 per month.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on April 12, 2021, 03:11:06 PM

54% of us have to pay to see a GP.
A&E is €100 unless you have a doctor's letter (or brought in by ambulance?). No charge with a doc's letter.
39% of us get almost free prescriptions (50c per item I think)
The rest of us only get them free above €114 per month.

So people pay for them? Ok.. Thanks for that

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on April 12, 2021, 02:57:59 PM
That is incredible.
In the 50s even in Crossmaglen Nationalists would concede that NI was better than the South because of social supports.
Now the South is far wealthier.

I think wages were always at least as high in the south, but there few no jobs and fewer socials support (since the taxation on the few jobs couldn't support them).
Now even I would not remember the 1950s, but in 1970 (say) you had social supports in NI that have gone backwards in the meantime. For instance, when I was a child we looked after an aged relative who lived nearby. She had a rota of home helps coming in and out, district nurse to call by etc. Nowadays it is hard to get those services in NI and you probably have as good a chance in the 26 counties.