The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

We didn't get the hard border and we have unionist upheaval, better than stopping brexit
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 05, 2021, 09:52:47 AM
We didn't get the hard border and we have unionist upheaval, better than stopping brexit

Did Colum negotiate that for us aye?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on April 05, 2021, 09:56:24 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 05, 2021, 09:52:47 AM

Did Colum negotiate that for us aye?

I'm just saying it happened, surely things will move quicker. You should be happy
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

6th sam

The bottom line is that SDLP and SF voters need to get serious about optimising their influence to consign DUP to history. SDLP/SF still have a sectarian voting base much like unionism. Ie very few from a Protestant tradition vote for them because they don't feel represented by them. This is because an All island solution has not been sold to "Protestants " as a reasonable alternative. Now for the first time, post Brexit, I think there could be an appetite among some Protestants to contemplate an All Island solution, but it's not being presented .
Ironically the SDLP, for whom I have a lot of respect , most of the time, have become a barrier to progress. If the greener SDLP voters moved to SF  and the softer SDLP voters aligned with Alliance , either SF or Alliance could finally knock DUP off their perch , putting aggressive unionism on the back foot for the first time.
People here on the "N/R" side and in the middle , need to get serious about consigning DUP to history . Much as I respect the SDLP, I can't see them becoming large enough to replace DUP as largest party.

yellowcard

I thought Eastwood was doing a decent job, probably the best leader the SDLP have had since Hume but that said, there wouldn't be much competition. Himself Claire Hanna and O'Toole are good media performers and Nicola Mallon is a decent politician. The problem is that below that they are threadbare in political talent and sorely lack the level of grass root workers on the ground that for instance SF are able to call on.

They will have a huge role to play going forward in an unity debate arguably more than SF.

Angelo

Quote from: yellowcard on April 05, 2021, 11:00:15 AM
I thought Eastwood was doing a decent job, probably the best leader the SDLP have had since Hume but that said, there wouldn't be much competition. Himself Claire Hanna and O'Toole are good media performers and Nicola Mallon is a decent politician. The problem is that below that they are threadbare in political talent and sorely lack the level of grass root workers on the ground that for instance SF are able to call on.

They will have a huge role to play going forward in an unity debate arguably more than SF.

You seriously think Eastwood is doing a good job and is a good leader?

Seriously?

yellowcard

Quote from: Angelo on April 05, 2021, 11:14:01 AM

Seriously?

Yes, in the main I think he has done a good job. I know you probably don't agree but I think you might be coming at this with a preconceived prejudice.

He took over a party already in deep decline and has stood up well to elements of Unionism and loyalism in a way that previous leaders of his party failed to do. He was particularly strong in the run up to the last Westminster election and comfortably took the seat back. He is a strong media performer but his problem is always going to be the lack of depth within the party.

Milltown Row2

Think out current leaders he's the best of a bad bunch.

Rich Ricci

I would say Naomi Long is the best leader in northern politics at the minute, not that it really takes a great deal of doing.

Eastwood just goes with whatever way the wind is.

Angelo

Quote from: yellowcard on April 05, 2021, 11:26:50 AM

Seriously?

Yes, in the main I think he has done a good job. I know you probably don't agree but I think you might be coming at this with a preconceived prejudice.

He took over a party already in deep decline and has stood up well to elements of Unionism and loyalism in a way that previous leaders of his party failed to do. He was particularly strong in the run up to the last Westminster election and comfortably took the seat back. He is a strong media performer but his problem is always going to be the lack of depth within the party.

I'd love to hear it is that he's done.

All he seems to have in his locker is SF bashing and the actions of the SDLP in the past week are utterly shameful.

6th sam

Quote from: Angelo on April 05, 2021, 11:38:55 AM

Seriously?

All he seems to have in his locker is SF bashing and the actions of the SDLP in the past week are utterly shameful.

Not like me to agree with Angelo, but SDLP didn't cover themselves in glory this week, and Eastwood , unlike his outstanding previous leader John Hume, puts party political interests above the national interest.

Milltown Row2

Seriously?

It's a good thing you don't political party bash, otherwise you'd be a complete hypocrite

yellowcard

Seriously?

I think this might be your main issue with him. If you see the bigger picture though, it is important for nationalism that there is a strong SDLP with a different roadmap to SF. If he thinks SF needs calling out on certain issues then that is what he ought to do. I think that there is a sense that he is more in control of his own party than any other leader bar Naomi Long.

Look at unionism and how weak a leader Steve Aiken has become by almost apeing the DUP policy.

Rois

Remind me now what happened in the voting for the DUP abortion amendment the other week? That was pretty bad from SF in terms of misleading their voters.

grounded

Yep, agree with all of that. John Hume was the SDLP.
       The idea that by legitimising Sinn Fein and giving it political credibility, Hume contributed to the downfall of his own party, the SDLP is always trotted out. In fact i think John Hume's continued presence at the head of the SDLP was the main reason they remained as popular as they did for so long.