MPs unite to fight law that will make abortions available in Northern Ireland

Started by Maguire01, July 24, 2008, 10:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the abortion act be extended to Northern Ireland?

Yes
47 (44.8%)
No
58 (55.2%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Angelo

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 24, 2019, 05:12:37 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 24, 2019, 09:10:58 AM
Quote from: HiMucker on October 24, 2019, 08:23:17 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 23, 2019, 08:15:01 PM
Of course there's some who use abortion as a means of contraception. 200,000 in uk annually, they're not all rape, incest cases. You're naive if you think otherwise.
Again
"97.7% of abortions in England & Wales were performed under ground C - the pregnancy has not exceeded its twenty-fourth week and that the continuance of the pregnancy would involve risk, greater than if the pregnancy were terminated, of injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman."

The mental health one is a nice card to play.

We know how babies are made, we all know the consequences of the action behind them, 3 months later down the line if something has happened then it's time to face up and deal with consequences of your actions. It's a shame that your life may now be different and it's not just you anymore but that's a direct result of the actions you have taken.

I'd liken it to drink driving, there's a possibility something will go wrong when you sit into that car under the influence but if you do it then it's a decision you can't go back on and you should face the consequences.

There will be many women who have an abortion and will regret it later on in their lives, it will probably lead to mental health issues with them. It's interesting that those in favour of abortion yield out these statistics but only look at them through one lens.

Ultimately the decision to terminate a pregnancy of a perfectly healthy baby, created by your own conscious decisions and actions is the most selfish thing you could ever contemplate doing.

I have seen come contemptible posts in my time but that takes the cake.

Mental health problems are not "a card that you can play."

Carrying a baby to full term against your wishes is not a punishment that can be dished out by victorian types.

That's a bit sensationalist and hysterical.

Carrying a baby full term against your wishes? Right first of all, in most cases this child is a product of the parent's actions which both consented to and the correct alternative you're stating is ending the life of a child without any thought or regard for that life and its rights.

I think the problem is people like you have no regard for human life.

Abortion is a short term solution for people who get into a bind and it's a selfish one when there is another life at play.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

five points

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 24, 2019, 04:58:31 PM
Quote from: five points on October 24, 2019, 02:33:50 PM
Fair points Jim. Best wishes to your family and especially your son.

At the outset of this, I noted how the Savita tragedy was propagandised while those of Tanya McCabe and Dhara Kivlehan were brushed under the carpet.

But I accept your point.

Enough has been said.

All three were scandalous and hugely commented on. However 2007 and 2010 were simply too soon to have the critical mass to ensure it didn't happen again.

Thanks for admitting that Savita's death was indeed propagandised by the pro-abort lobby.

As to why Dhara Kivlehan's wasn't, it had more to do with the fact that Savita was already dead by the time Dhara's inquest finally took place in 2014, four years after she died. https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dhara-kivlehan-died-as-result-of-medical-misadventure-inquest-finds-30623766.html

The HSE were so busy trying to block the inquest that they failed abysmally to learn anything from her death, in terms of patient care protocols.  Whether nor not any consequent improvements in standard might have improved Savita's survival chances can only be a matter of conjecture but that failure certainly didn't help.

Angelo

Didn't the HSE also settle with Savita's family for its medical negligence in handling her case.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Angelo on October 24, 2019, 05:18:26 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 24, 2019, 05:12:37 PM
Of course there's some who use abortion as a means of contraception. 200,000 in uk annually, they're not all rape, incest cases. You're naive if you think otherwise.
Again
"97.7% of abortions in England & Wales were performed under ground C - the pregnancy has not exceeded its twenty-fourth week and that the continuance of the pregnancy would involve risk, greater than if the pregnancy were terminated, of injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman."

We know how babies are made, we all know the consequences of the action behind them, 3 months later down the line if something has happened then it's time to face up and deal with consequences of your actions. It's a shame that your life may now be different and it's not just you anymore but that's a direct result of the actions you have taken.

I'd liken it to drink driving, there's a possibility something will go wrong when you sit into that car under the influence but if you do it then it's a decision you can't go back on and you should face the consequences.

There will be many women who have an abortion and will regret it later on in their lives, it will probably lead to mental health issues with them. It's interesting that those in favour of abortion yield out these statistics but only look at them through one lens.

Ultimately the decision to terminate a pregnancy of a perfectly healthy baby, created by your own conscious decisions and actions is the most selfish thing you could ever contemplate doing.

I have seen come contemptible posts in my time but that takes the cake.

Mental health problems are not "a card that you can play."

Carrying a baby to full term against your wishes is not a punishment that can be dished out by victorian types.

That's a bit sensationalist and hysterical.

Carrying a baby full term against your wishes? Right first of all, in most cases this child is a product of the parent's actions which both consented to and the correct alternative you're stating is ending the life of a child without any thought or regard for that life and its rights.

I think the problem is people like you have no regard for human life.

Abortion is a short term solution for people who get into a bind and it's a selfish one when there is another life at play.

There it is again. The "childbirth as punishment for being naughty" doctrine.  And the complete disregard for the circumstances that people might find themselves in.

I hope for your sake people are more understanding if you ever find yourself having to make that kind of decision in the worst moment of your life.

t_mac

Quote from: Angelo on October 24, 2019, 05:04:01 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on October 24, 2019, 09:21:30 AM
Again

Right so your happy to accept the stats and figures when they fit your argument but question them when they don't? Ive stayed well clear of this argument for the most because its dominated by loonies on both sides calling the other murderers and what else. My views would be fairly similar to Tonto and other posters. I myself would view abortion as an absolute last resort if  the risk of a full term pregnancy was that high. However it must be an absolutely horrendous decision for anyone to have to make, and I wouldnt want to judge them for it, or take that choice away for a large section of society. Lets remember that abortion is already available for those who can afford to go to England. Why should people that cant be treated any differently?

I think abortion is totally morally wrong. I can understand it where it impacts on the physical health of the mother and I can see it as acceptable where the mother is put at risk but in other cases and the vast majority of cases it is due to the mother not wanting to face up to the consequences of their actions.

A horrendous decision to make, I think health grounds are the only acceptable reason to make that decision.

You think a lot of things, all without substance and all hiding behind a mask of anonymity - coward, isn't that one of your favourite words. Thank God you are just a troll with no importance or influence on such decisions.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: five points on October 24, 2019, 05:35:49 PM
Quote from: five points on October 24, 2019, 02:33:50 PM
Fair points Jim. Best wishes to your family and especially your son.

At the outset of this, I noted how the Savita tragedy was propagandised while those of Tanya McCabe and Dhara Kivlehan were brushed under the carpet.

But I accept your point.

Enough has been said.

All three were scandalous and hugely commented on. However 2007 and 2010 were simply too soon to have the critical mass to ensure it didn't happen again.

Thanks for admitting that Savita's death was indeed propagandised by the pro-abort lobby.

As to why Dhara Kivlehan's wasn't, it had more to do with the fact that Savita was already dead by the time Dhara's inquest finally took place in 2014, four years after she died. https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dhara-kivlehan-died-as-result-of-medical-misadventure-inquest-finds-30623766.html

The HSE were so busy trying to block the inquest that they failed abysmally to learn anything from her death, in terms of patient care protocols.  Whether nor not any consequent improvements in standard might have improved Savita's survival chances can only be a matter of conjecture but that failure certainly didn't help.

Propagandised by the pro-aborts? Who thinks lime that? That sort of infantile language is why you lost.

The 8th killed women. It killed children. Highlighing the collateral damage is not propaganda. Its highlighting the human cost of a failed social experiment

five points

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 24, 2019, 05:52:27 PM

Propagandised by the pro-aborts? Who thinks lime that? That sort of infantile language is why you lost.

The 8th killed women. It killed children. Highlighing the collateral damage is not propaganda. Its highlighting the human cost of a failed social experiment
You're just after admitting that the reason Tanya & Dhara's deaths were ignored was that they happened too soon to work as propaganda.

Name 5 women or children that the 8th killed.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: five points on October 24, 2019, 06:02:30 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 24, 2019, 05:52:27 PM

You're just after admitting that the reason Tanya & Dhara's deaths were ignored was that they happened too soon to work as propaganda.

Name 5 women or children that the 8th killed.

I did no such thing. Savita was just a dead woman too much. Your jump to that language is telling

Angelo

Quote from: t_mac on October 24, 2019, 05:39:48 PM
Again

Right so your happy to accept the stats and figures when they fit your argument but question them when they don't? Ive stayed well clear of this argument for the most because its dominated by loonies on both sides calling the other murderers and what else. My views would be fairly similar to Tonto and other posters. I myself would view abortion as an absolute last resort if  the risk of a full term pregnancy was that high. However it must be an absolutely horrendous decision for anyone to have to make, and I wouldnt want to judge them for it, or take that choice away for a large section of society. Lets remember that abortion is already available for those who can afford to go to England. Why should people that cant be treated any differently?

I think abortion is totally morally wrong. I can understand it where it impacts on the physical health of the mother and I can see it as acceptable where the mother is put at risk but in other cases and the vast majority of cases it is due to the mother not wanting to face up to the consequences of their actions.

A horrendous decision to make, I think health grounds are the only acceptable reason to make that decision.

You think a lot of things, all without substance and all hiding behind a mask of anonymity - coward, isn't that one of your favourite words. Thank God you are just a troll with no importance or influence on such decisions.

So do you and it's not the first time you have had a pop at me behind your anonymous username, maybe follow your own advice and grow a pair.

t_mac

Quote from: Angelo on October 24, 2019, 09:08:21 PM
Quote from: t_mac on October 24, 2019, 05:39:48 PM
Again

So do you and it's not the first time you have had a pop at me behind your anonymous username, maybe follow your own advice and grow a pair.

And whom have I made unfounded allegations against? You are infatuated by balls but that is hardly surprising you talk enough.

sid waddell

I see Sinn Fein used the cover of their total hypocrisy in going after Varadkar to give women in the North a kick in the teeth by abstaining on the DUP's anti-abortion bill

After arguing against it

What a gutless position

Hypocrites yet again

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 16, 2021, 12:27:42 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on March 16, 2021, 12:14:39 AM
I see Sinn Fein used the cover of their total hypocrisy in going after Varadkar to give women in the North a kick in the teeth by abstaining on the DUP's anti-abortion bill

After arguing against it

What a gutless position

Hypocrites yet again

If ever proof was needed that they only care about votes, they hold the finger out the window each day to see how the wind blows. Personally I'd be in favour of DUP bill but SF are brazen and embarrassing in their approach on this , no consistency, they know the northeern vote is much moe conservative on this question.

general_lee

Couldn't agree more. SF would need to bite the bullet (pardon the pun) and show a bit of backbone. Theyre harping on about any number of things on social media today and ignoring their blatant hypocrisy.

Angelo

Personally I don't think political parties should have an opinion on this it should be a personal choice.

I thought the way SF handled this was dreadful from the start, the way Peader Toibin was treated for having his own beliefs and view was very poor.

Abortion should not be a political issue.

SF can rightly come in for criticism here for their posturing but they are little different to other parties too in this regard. I'd imagine the usual suspects will engage in a SF pile on though.

johnnycool

Quote from: Angelo on March 16, 2021, 01:43:13 PM
Personally I don't think political parties should have an opinion on this it should be a personal choice.

I thought the way SF handled this was dreadful from the start, the way Peader Toibin was treated for having his own beliefs and view was very poor.

Abortion should not be a political issue.

SF can rightly come in for criticism here for their posturing but they are little different to other parties too in this regard. I'd imagine the usual suspects will engage in a SF pile on though.

SF must have instructed all their MLA's to abstain. why not a conscience vote?