Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 09, 2017, 06:32:56 PM
Quote from: red hander on May 09, 2017, 05:09:04 PM
Quote from: Rois on May 09, 2017, 02:11:19 PM
Quote from: red hander on May 09, 2017, 01:38:48 PM
AFAIK, the stoops have never had a pact with the shinners that involved them doing a mutual deal or a deal involving an independent, so throwing in the suggestion of finucane as an independent is nonsense as the stoops would still have stood[/b

Have you not been listening, the SDLP were absolutely prepared to compromise on independents - confirmed again by Colum Eastwood this morning on Radio Ulster.

You believe him if you want
Someone reboot the Shinnerbot.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

red hander

Quote from: armaghniac on May 09, 2017, 06:56:47 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 09, 2017, 06:32:56 PM
Quote from: red hander on May 09, 2017, 05:09:04 PM
Quote from: Rois on May 09, 2017, 02:11:19 PM
Quote from: red hander on May 09, 2017, 01:38:48 PM
AFAIK, the stoops have never had a pact with the shinners that involved them doing a mutual deal or a deal involving an independent, so throwing in the suggestion of finucane as an independent is nonsense as the stoops would still have stood[/b

Have you not been listening, the SDLP were absolutely prepared to compromise on independents - confirmed again by Colum Eastwood this morning on Radio Ulster.

You believe him if you want
Someone reboot the Shinnerbot.

Bit presumptous, considering I'm not a Sinn Fein supporter, and can honestly state I have not cast a vote for Sinn Fein in more than 20 years. Just because people are critical of your beloved stoops does not automatically make them a Shinner. You can be a republican without being a Shinner. The original post was about Finucane standing as an independent ... IMO there's no way the stoops would have worn that, no matter what wee Colum spouts on Radio Ulster  :-*

Wildweasel74

The fact that you call them stoops say all about u, no body in recent years has stooped down any lower than Sinn Fein to the Dup, who run circles round them and considering the IQ of some of their representatives  that couldn't be an easy thing. Why anybody would vote for a party who doesn't not represent them in some way but will take the money beats me.

red hander

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 09, 2017, 08:12:52 PM
The fact that you call them stoops say all about u, no body in recent years has stooped down any lower than Sinn Fein to the Dup, who run circles round them and considering the IQ of some of their representatives  that couldn't be an easy thing. Why anybody would vote for a party who doesn't not represent them in some way but will take the money beats me.

Give me that in English so I can give you a reply... bit risky bringing IQ up, considering

Avondhu star

Quote from: red hander on May 09, 2017, 08:33:18 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 09, 2017, 08:12:52 PM

Give me that in English so I can give you a reply... bit risky bringing IQ up, considering
The most important thing is that Sinn Fein gets its hands on more lolly from Westminster
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Applesisapples

Quote from: Rois on May 09, 2017, 05:01:18 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on May 09, 2017, 04:38:29 PM
Quote from: naka on May 09, 2017, 03:43:03 PM
Apples my point is why did the shinners see merit in  now calling for the sdlp to step aside for to allow the shinners to bring the message
Perhaps because they have momentum, but also safe in the knowledge that the SDLP will say no thus seeming to split the vote.
Exactly right - manipulating the electorate into thinking that the SDLP are the bad guys, when SF refused to accept an independent anti-Brexit candidate.
All very well with SF going out to help themselves to the SDLP vote, but by refusing to consider a non-party anti-Brexit person, they are leaving us with Nigel Dodds simply for their own sake.  You may think that's OK, but I certainly don't appreciate being used in SF's nationalist popularity contest ambitions.
Why would they go for an independent? SF are a political party and no different to any other they are measured in votes. Why is it something to sneer at when SF adopt a strategy that will deliver electoral success but OK for FF, FG, SDLP and others to do likewise?

Applesisapples

I don't particularly like some of what SF are about, for example holding commemorations which to my mind just mimics loyalism. However the SDLP have not produced a credible political since the Hume/Mallon era espousing progressive politics, with the possible exception of Mark Durkan, the bright one that is.

Rois

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 10, 2017, 11:48:08 AM

Why would they go for an independent? SF are a political party and no different to any other they are measured in votes. Why is it something to sneer at when SF adopt a strategy that will deliver electoral success but OK for FF, FG, SDLP and others to do likewise?

Forgetting strategies down south (we have obvious differences in our electoral systems/voting patterns up here), going for an independent anti-Brexit candidate may have maximised the chances of getting rid of a sitting MP who does not represent the interests of the people in his constituency who voted Remain.  Yes the old argument about our MPs not having any impact will be trotted out, but having someone in Westminster to make noise on our behalf would make me, a North Belfast voter, feel like at least someone was representing my views on it. 
It feels like with this decision, SF put their own vanity/"strategy" ahead of the incredibly frustrated North Belfast constituents who want change but are now not going to get it.

Avondhu star

Whats the point of an independent candidate. Gerry Kelly is stepping down after a number of attempts to win a seat. Like it or not Gerry is a divisive character and unlikely ever to be employed lected. John Finucane is of the new generation with no baggage. He can concentrate on policies rather than the previous 40 years. He may be able to attract the extra votes to get him over the line. Non attendance at Westminster is SF policy which makes sense. Are any of the unionist constituencies any better off because of their MPs trips across the water? May and co will sell them down the river if needed to keep their Little England.

Avondhu star

Quote from: Rossfan on May 09, 2017, 04:51:36 PM
Why aren't they pushing for PR in all elections in the North?
Both Tories and Labour dont want change

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Avondhu star on May 10, 2017, 12:54:38 PM
Whats the point of an independent candidate. Gerry Kelly is stepping down after a number of attempts to win a seat. Like it or not Gerry is a divisive character and unlikely ever to be employed lected. John Finucane is of the new generation with no baggage. He can concentrate on policies rather than the previous 40 years. He may be able to attract the extra votes to get him over the line. Non attendance at Westminster is SF policy which makes sense. Are any of the unionist constituencies any better off because of their MPs trips across the water? May and co will sell them down the river if needed to keep their Little England.

Being a SF candidate he automatically takes on the baggage which will prevent the thousands of votes needed to get elected in North Belfast, it is not a case of just needing a little push over the line. Just because he isn't Gerry Kelly doesn't mean that he will be much more attractive to those who did not vote SF in the last poll.  He will carry the same baggage that his leader is now carrying around at IRA commemorations where she must establish her credentials. What makes him a more viable candidate than any other SF candidate to the non-SF voters?

North Belfast election results 2017

DUP   13,309   
UUP   2,418   
PUP   2,053   
AP   3,487   
SF   12,204   
SDLP   5,431   
PBP   1,559   
GP   711   
WP   248   
IND   66   

The unionist vote was 17,780 in the last Assembly election, SF had 12,204 votes when people had a choice of SDLP, PBP & WP who hold 7238 votes of which at least 5576 are needed to equal the unionist vote in the last Assembly election.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Rois on May 10, 2017, 11:58:21 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on May 10, 2017, 11:48:08 AM

Forgetting strategies down south (we have obvious differences in our electoral systems/voting patterns up here), going for an independent anti-Brexit candidate may have maximised the chances of getting rid of a sitting MP who does not represent the interests of the people in his constituency who voted Remain.  Yes the old argument about our MPs not having any impact will be trotted out, but having someone in Westminster to make noise on our behalf would make me, a North Belfast voter, feel like at least someone was representing my views on it. 
It feels like with this decision, SF put their own vanity/"strategy" ahead of the incredibly frustrated North Belfast constituents who want change but are now not going to get it.
Anti SF view, it matters not who sits in Westminster, they have every right to push for votes.

Applesisapples

I am aghast at the hypocrisy on display on this thread dressed as political opinion/analysis.

Rois

I, and others on here, stated on a different thread that if there was an appropriate anti-Brexit pact, I would vote SF.

I do blame them for not giving me a chance to have an MP (whether they take their seat or not) who will reflect my anti-Brexit views.   

Avondhu star

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 10, 2017, 02:00:11 PM
I am aghast at the hypocrisy on display on this thread dressed as political opinion/analysis.
It's shocking isn't it