Football All Stars 2019

Started by Estimator, August 05, 2019, 11:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Conor Cox will be nominated for sure. Enda Smith probaly too Donal Keoghan and maybe Cillian O Sullivan. Ruari Deane would be thereabouts.

tyrone08

Quote from: oliverkelly on August 05, 2019, 02:12:38 PM
Quote from: Estimator on August 05, 2019, 11:19:47 AM
*Couldn't find a topic for this subject, will delete if there already is one*

Now that we are down to the last 4 teams in the race for the All Ireland title, what are the chances that those already eliminated will pick up All Stars.

Donegal should pick up a few nominations for the likes of Murphy, McHugh, Brennan, McBrearty and Patton. But, despite winning Ulster and only losing one game, they will only pick up a maximum of 2.

Cork, Meath and Roscommon combined might only get a couple between them if that.

From an Ulster perspective the likes of McKiernan (Cavan) and O'Neill (Armagh) could get nominations, but have no chance of the award.

On what basis do Donegal deserve so much more nominations to Roscommon? Both won the same amount of games in this years Championship with Roscommon beating arguably better sides than Donegal,

Not sure why murphy or mchugh deserve an all star. They had two great games which was about it. Mchugh was completely missing in the mayo match. I would give murphy one over mchugh if i had to chose between them.

J70

Quote from: tyrone08 on August 05, 2019, 03:10:50 PM
Quote from: oliverkelly on August 05, 2019, 02:12:38 PM
Quote from: Estimator on August 05, 2019, 11:19:47 AM
*Couldn't find a topic for this subject, will delete if there already is one*

Now that we are down to the last 4 teams in the race for the All Ireland title, what are the chances that those already eliminated will pick up All Stars.

Donegal should pick up a few nominations for the likes of Murphy, McHugh, Brennan, McBrearty and Patton. But, despite winning Ulster and only losing one game, they will only pick up a maximum of 2.

Cork, Meath and Roscommon combined might only get a couple between them if that.

From an Ulster perspective the likes of McKiernan (Cavan) and O'Neill (Armagh) could get nominations, but have no chance of the award.

On what basis do Donegal deserve so much more nominations to Roscommon? Both won the same amount of games in this years Championship with Roscommon beating arguably better sides than Donegal,

Not sure why murphy or mchugh deserve an all star. They had two great games which was about it. Mchugh was completely missing in the mayo match. I would give murphy one over mchugh if i had to chose between them.

Murphy was outstanding against Tyrone, Cavan, Meath and Kerry (I haven't said Fermanagh because I honestly don't remember). He was the best Donegal player against Mayo and almost single handedly dragged us back into it. It's been arguably his best overall season, dominating games completely at times.

McHugh has had an excellent summer too up until the last game, when he was anonymous.

Murphy will get an All Star. McHugh won't. Neither will any other Donegal players. A few nominations maybe.

WhoDat

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 05, 2019, 01:18:14 PM
Quote from: kerryforsam19 on August 05, 2019, 01:13:41 PM
Shaun Patton
Brendan Harrison
Ronan McNamee
Tom Sullivan
Gavin Crowley
Colm Boyle
Ryan McHugh
David Moran
Aidan O'Shea
Mattie Donnelly
Seanie Shea
Jamie Brennan
Cillian Connors
Cathal McShane
David Clifford

Brennan won't get one after the last two games. As good as he was before that.

agreed. brennan has played himself out of a nomination, completely lost form and confidence.

if patrick durcan has a good semi final, he might get one

J70

Quote from: WhoDat on August 05, 2019, 06:31:16 PM
Shaun Patton
Brendan Harrison
Ronan McNamee
Tom Sullivan
Gavin Crowley
Colm Boyle
Ryan McHugh
David Moran
Aidan O'Shea
Mattie Donnelly
Seanie Shea
Jamie Brennan
Cillian Connors
Cathal McShane
David Clifford

agreed. brennan has played himself out of a nomination, completely lost form and confidence.

Not sure what happened to Brennan. I don't remember him touching the ball against Mayo. He was unstoppable in Ulster, including against Tyrone. Even in the Fermanagh game, when he was well marked and had a quiet match in terms of involvement, he still stepped up and hit three or four from play. Meath marked him well , but he still got a couple of scores. Kerry didn't let him get a shot off, but at least he got on the ball and won a few frees. But against Mayo, it was like he wasn't on the field.

dublin7

Quote from: WhoDat on August 05, 2019, 06:31:16 PM
Shaun Patton
Brendan Harrison
Ronan McNamee
Tom Sullivan
Gavin Crowley
Colm Boyle
Ryan McHugh
David Moran
Aidan O'Shea
Mattie Donnelly
Seanie Shea
Jamie Brennan
Cillian Connors
Cathal McShane
David Clifford

Anyone not picking Fenton for an All Star based on his form this year needs to look again. At the moment He's a contender for POTY and the best midfielder in the country. McCaffrey is nearly nailed on as well

oliverkelly

Shaun Patton
Brendan Harrison
Ronan McNamee
Tom Sullivan
Gavin Crowley
Colm Boyle
Ryan McHugh
David Moran
Aidan O'Shea
Mattie Donnelly
Seanie Shea
Jamie Brennan
Cillian Connors
Cathal McShane
David Clifford

Is this actually a wind up? Cillian Connors? i persume you mean Cillian O Connor, Not a chance does he deserve an All Star on this years form he has only played a hand full of games. If he has an exceptional semi final and Final yeah maybe but not within an asses roar at the minute.
Brendan Harrison got roasted in a good few games in this years championship. Against both Roscommon and Kerry he was taken to the cleaners.

kerryforsam19

Quote from: oliverkelly on August 06, 2019, 08:40:40 AM
Shaun Patton
Brendan Harrison
Ronan McNamee
Tom Sullivan
Gavin Crowley
Colm Boyle
Ryan McHugh
David Moran
Aidan O'Shea
Mattie Donnelly
Seanie Shea
Jamie Brennan
Cillian Connors
Cathal McShane
David Clifford

Is this actually a wind up? Cillian Connors? i persume you mean Cillian O Connor, Not a chance does he deserve an All Star on this years form he has only played a hand full of games. If he has an exceptional semi final and Final yeah maybe but not within an asses roar at the minute.
Brendan Harrison got roasted in a good few games in this years championship. Against both Roscommon and Kerry he was taken to the cleaners.

Connors have been most consistent forward in last month. Harrison want too bad against Kerry.

blanketattack

Brian Fenton and Stephen O'Brien are both in the current top 3 for Player of the Year, so should surely be in a potential All-Star XV.

imtommygunn

Fenton best midfielder in the country by a long way and to be honest moving towards one of the better ones ever at current rate.

OBrien good call. I don't think he'll get the same space against Tyrone and if they meet Dublin McCaffrey might do him damage too but at present one of the in form players.

Jamie Brennan wouldn't be near it. Poor in the super 8s though fantastic in ulster.

yellowcard

Michael Murphy is the only player outside of the last 4 who will win an award. The rest will be dictated to by results and performances in the last 3 games. A poor performance can equally mean someone who previously looked a shoe in playing their way off the team as was the case with Ryan McHugh last weekend.

Estimator

Quote from: yellowcard on August 06, 2019, 04:50:17 PM
Michael Murphy is the only player outside of the last 4 who will win an award. The rest will be dictated to by results and performances in the last 3 games. A poor performance can equally mean someone who previously looked a shoe in playing their way off the team as was the case with Ryan McHugh last weekend.

I'd agree with that. I'd say Patton is out of the running now for the goalkeeper spot. I'm sure it'll be a toss up between Cluxton and Morgan now.
So, aside from Murphy, I'd say McNamee, McCaffrey, Fenton, O'Brien, McShane, and Clifford are the ones that can play themselves off the team, if they put in an anonymous performance over the next game or two. The rest can be picked up with a couple of good outings.
1. Cluxton / Morgan
3. McNamee
7. McCaffrey
8. Fenton
10. Murphy
12. O'Brien
13. Clifford
14. McShane
Ulster League Champions 2009

Blowitupref

Players from the final 8 that has impressed me the most and should be in the running for All star nominations.

Dublin - S Cluxton,J Small,J Mccaffery,B Fenton,C O'Callaghan,P Mannion,K Kilkenny

Kerry -  T O'Sullivan,P Murphy,D Moran,D Clifford,S O'Brien,S O'Shea

Tyrone - Morgan,R McNamee,P Harte,C McShane,Donnelly

Mayo -  Boyle,Durcan,A O'Shea,D Coen

Roscommon - C Cox,N Daly,D Murray

Donegal - Patton,R McHugh,M Murphy

Meath - C McGill,D Keogan,B Menton

Cork - L Connolly,M Collins.

Of course we could have a few players not named there among Kerry,Mayo,Tyrone,Dublin to really stand out in the semi or final and end up winning All stars.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Armagh18

Quote from: oliverkelly on August 06, 2019, 08:40:40 AM
Shaun Patton
Brendan Harrison
Ronan McNamee
Tom Sullivan
Gavin Crowley
Colm Boyle
Ryan McHugh
David Moran
Aidan O'Shea
Mattie Donnelly
Seanie Shea
Jamie Brennan
Cillian Connors
Cathal McShane
David Clifford

Look at the amount of Dubs he's picked, of course its a wind up.

Dire Ear

Keep requoting him...........great idea :'(