Paul Kimmage interviews Sean Cavanagh

Started by Jinxy, September 09, 2018, 08:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

Quote from: APM on September 10, 2018, 02:58:02 PM
Five Points - you mightn't think it a priority and maybe I'm the only one, but I find Harte's bringing of religion into the changing room just as bad as bringing politics into it.  Very dangerous, backward road to be on.  It assumes everyone is a practicing catholic, and assumes everyone conforms.  People can be reared in the catholic community, but be very anti-church.  We do have small but rising numbers of protestants and other religions involved and need more. This is hugely inappropriate and must be tackled.  Can't understand that there isn't uproar over this.  GAA shouldn't be tolerating it in this day and age.  Before you say anything, I'm a practicing catholic myself, but find this totally wrong.

I don't necessarily disagree but I still find it funny being listed as a priority in a thread about spitting biting and sledging.

johnnycool

Quote from: five points on September 10, 2018, 03:01:29 PM
Five Points - you mightn't think it a priority and maybe I'm the only one, but I find Harte's bringing of religion into the changing room just as bad as bringing politics into it.  Very dangerous, backward road to be on.  It assumes everyone is a practicing catholic, and assumes everyone conforms.  People can be reared in the catholic community, but be very anti-church.  We do have small but rising numbers of protestants and other religions involved and need more. This is hugely inappropriate and must be tackled.  Can't understand that there isn't uproar over this.  GAA shouldn't be tolerating it in this day and age.  Before you say anything, I'm a practicing catholic myself, but find this totally wrong.

I don't necessarily disagree but I still find it funny being listed as a priority in a thread about spitting biting and sledging.

I'd say its that some people struggle to conflate the two within the same team ethos or actions.

I'm not saying Tyrone are unique in this but they do seem to have a bad press wrt sledging and so forth and I can't say for sure that is well earned or not, but it does follow them around like a bad smell.

trueblue1234

Quote from: johnnycool on September 10, 2018, 03:07:42 PM
Quote from: five points on September 10, 2018, 03:01:29 PM

I'd say its that some people struggle to conflate the two within the same team ethos or actions.

I'm not saying Tyrone are unique in this but they do seem to have a bad press wrt sledging and so forth and I can't say for sure that is well earned or not, but it does follow them around like a bad smell.
People enjoy chatting about Tyrone's sledging. That's why in a thread about dirty actions by a Cavan player we're talking about Tyrone's Sledging instead. Tyrone may have had a dirtier side about them back in the 00's but recently they have been far from the worst. And not to their benefit I would add. But if you get a name for something it can be hard to shift. Which is fair enough.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Christmas Lights

Ballsy enough of Sean to admit he was crying about it in the changing room and Conor Gormley had to sort it for him.  Shows he is maybe a vulnerable, soft enough character at times as well.

LooseCannon

Quote from: Itchy on September 10, 2018, 01:43:14 PM
There was once this underage team (who shall remain nameless) who researched their opponents, found out that one the young lads on the other teams father had recently passed away. Passed that message to one of their young players and that young player spent the game sledging the bereaved kid about having no father. Its shocking what goes on in some counties alright.
A particular hurling club in Offaly also partake in that sadistic bullshite. A clue for ye. Never won a senior championship.

Jinxy

Lads, is there an actual evidence-base for any of this stuff?
Seems like I've heard the same incident attributed to multiple different clubs/counties at this stage.
If people have personal experience of it fair enough, but I remember what Martin O'Connell was accused of saying to Ray Dempsey in '96 and that turned out to be nonsense.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Manning18

Quote from: five points on September 10, 2018, 01:49:29 PM

Thankfully there was no utter scumbags playing on seans team.

QuoteI look forward to Seans recollections on diving, sledging and other stuff Tyrone (amongst others) got up to during his time.

Quote from: APM on September 10, 2018, 09:51:35 AM
I know this was nothing new, but the stuff on Mass and the Rosary for me is something that the Tyrone CB should be looking very strongly at.  Totally inappropriate given the message it sends out to those with other faiths and none, that have an interest in playing Gaelic Football.

Funny priorities here.

I agree with this. Forcing religion on the players in this way is completely wrong. I'm sure he offered people the option of not going to mass/saying the rosary but given Harte's dictator style, they were probably afraid to say no. A third of Tyrone's population is protestant. Now obviously 99% of them have no GAA interest, but theyre hardly encouraged to be a part of it when the leader shoves catholicism down everyone's throat. You can be fairly sure in a panel of 35 in Ireland that someone there has had a family member hurt/abused by the church and they resent it, yet feel obliged to continue the charade.

J70

Quote from: Rudi on September 10, 2018, 11:26:48 AM
Regarding the player spitting and biting, despicable stuff. Remember playing a club game against a notorious shower of dirty ba#tards. Was moved in to full forward for the last ten minutes, walked towards the full back he some how managed to go inside my boxers and grab my ball sack, which he proceeded to hold for about 6 minutes.  Nothing I could do he literally had me by the balls. Early season had decided it was my last year playing, this incident ended my interest in playing. Fat headed red neck f×cktard.

I admire your self-control. Obviously this cesspool filth was looking for a reaction, but I (and I'm about as far from violent as you could find) would have swung back and smashed his jaw with an elbow, and if that didn't level him, would have waited around after getting the red card and sorted it out after the match. I would have publicized the f**k out of the sc**bag too.

What happens on the field stays on the field my arse. There is no excuse for that type of carry on.

Jinxy

On the broader issues of rumours in the GAA and how they grow legs, here's another excerpt from Sean's book.

'I'm just following up on a story that you've taken up with a woman'

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/im-just-following-up-on-a-story-that-youve-taken-up-with-a-woman-37299280.html

If you were any use you'd be playing.

trileacman

That story was rife at the time. I have no doubt there was a few mentions of it on here.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Substandard

Quote from: trileacman on September 10, 2018, 06:30:36 PM
That story was rife at the time. I have no doubt there was a few mentions of it on here.

Over the years I've heard some amount of stories about players and managers going off with other player's wives.  I suppose statistically there's bound to be one or a few true, but it would have to be difficult and distressing to be the subject of such rumours, especially for the partners/ wives, and if they are trying to shield children.

tonto1888

Quote from: Christmas Lights on September 10, 2018, 03:39:07 PM
Ballsy enough of Sean to admit he was crying about it in the changing room and Conor Gormley had to sort it for him.  Shows he is maybe a vulnerable, soft enough character at times as well.

Agree. A good interview overall

lenny

Quote from: Manning18 on September 10, 2018, 04:57:55 PM

QuoteI look forward to Seans recollections on diving, sledging and other stuff Tyrone (amongst others) got up to during his time.

I know this was nothing new, but the stuff on Mass and the Rosary for me is something that the Tyrone CB should be looking very strongly at.  Totally inappropriate given the message it sends out to those with other faiths and none, that have an interest in playing Gaelic Football.

Funny priorities here.

I agree with this. Forcing religion on the players in this way is completely wrong. I'm sure he offered people the option of not going to mass/saying the rosary but given Harte's dictator style, they were probably afraid to say no. A third of Tyrone's population is protestant. Now obviously 99% of them have no GAA interest, but theyre hardly encouraged to be a part of it when the leader shoves catholicism down everyone's throat. You can be fairly sure in a panel of 35 in Ireland that someone there has had a family member hurt/abused by the church and they resent it, yet feel obliged to continue the charade.

Harte does this because he's a bully. It's a sad indictment of the players that they continue to put up with it.

BennyHarp

Quote from: lenny on September 10, 2018, 06:50:02 PM

Funny priorities here.

Harte does this because he's a bully. It's a sad indictment of the players that they continue to put up with it.

At least with Mickey in charge there's a bit of respect there and standards are maintained. How's it going in Derry where the players rule the roost and have had little or no respect for umpteen consecutive managers?
That was never a square ball!!

screenexile

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 10, 2018, 07:48:11 PM
Quote from: lenny on September 10, 2018, 06:50:02 PM

Funny priorities here.

At least with Mickey in charge there's a bit of respect there and standards are maintained. How's it going in Derry where the players rule the roost and have had little or no respect for umpteen consecutive managers?

Well your lads won nothing this year either and are as far away from Dublin as we are so not too worried about it!!

We've a few good groups of young lads coming through so the future's bright 😉😉