Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Hardy

Where is Liam Devlin from, Clann Na Banna? What age is he?

ardtole

I don't think it is unfair to suggest the team named is experimental. Il be at the game more in hope than expectation, but with a new manager you have to give them time to find their feet.
Derry went down a similar path last year and paid a heavy price, hopefully as the league progresses we get the likes of Mooney, Harrisson and the lads who are suspended back on the starting 15.

I would just be concerned that a couple of early losses can create it's own pressures especially when there are only 7 league games.

Hopefully we get something from tonight's game but I think it might be a bridge too far playing so many inexperienced lads together, I'd gladly be proved wrong.

Tony

From a Laois perspective, we're missing a few key players due to injury, and we're trying out a number of new faces. It's not the strongest possible Laois 15. However, by all accounts the mood in the camp is high and everyone is rowing in behind the setup this year after a promising 2018. I expect a 50/50 match.

general

Quote from: Ed Hardy on January 26, 2019, 07:01:34 AM
Where is Liam Devlin from, Clann Na Banna? What age is he?

Liam is from Banbridge yes - big tall lad and can certainly get about - certainly wouldnt be shy putting himself into a tackle.

I believe he has featured in the league before for us

snoopdog

Dissapointing 2nd half. Kingston looks to have totally changed the game.

Targetman

Very poor second half , the lack of a major physical presence especially in the middle third is causing us problems, our midfield was getting cleaned out in the second half but Havern and Devlin were taken off, surely Donnelly would be better in midfield rather than full back, a bad start!!

Smurfy123

Poor second half. Laois had a great bench Down looked to be struggling. Donal O Hare looks sharp.

Tony

Hard luck Down, still plenty of matches to get going. Laois were very strong today in 2nd half and Donie was on fire. I can see ye beating most of the teams in Div . 3; the 2nd half just really clicked for us with the introduction of Donie Kingston and Colm Begley. Best of luck for the rest of the league, ye are nice supporters.

Lotto

A steep learning curve for many players tonight. Laois put on 6'6'' Donie Kingston and a few others much the same size, in comparison look who we were putting on. Good wee players but that's exactly what they are, wee. We really lack size and it cost us tonight.

Mourne Rover

It was a disappointing night as we were in such a strong position at half time and the defeat means we may have to win all of our remaining six matches if we are to get promoted. The Laois manager made some crucial tactical and personnel switches during the break, and they were physically stronger than us in some key areas.

However, the game probably turned on a ludicrous decision when Francis was plainly pulled down in front of the main stand, the referee allowed play to continue and the goal gave Laois a huge lift.

Our defence struggled in the second half, particularly after Donnelly was injured, and, apart from O'Hare, our substitutions did not really work. The new faces only made a limited impact and we can expect a fair number of changes for what will be a must win trip to Sligo next week.

charlieTully

Quote from: Mourne Rover on January 26, 2019, 10:51:44 PM
It was a disappointing night as we were in such a strong position at half time and the defeat means we may have to win all of our remaining six matches if we are to get promoted. The Laois manager made some crucial tactical and personnel switches during the break, and they were physically stronger than us in some key areas.

However, the game probably turned on a ludicrous decision when Francis was plainly pulled down in front of the main stand, the referee allowed play to continue and the goal gave Laois a huge lift.

Our defence struggled in the second half, particularly after Donnelly was injured, and, apart from O'Hare, our substitutions did not really work. The new faces only made a limited impact and we can expect a fair number of changes for what will be a must win trip to Sligo next week.

what was the craic with the mark JJ took in the second half? ref blew him up for overcarrying even though he had caught the ball clean and was standing still. they went up the field and scored from the resulting free kick. it would have put us 3 up but changed it to a 1 point game. We were poor though, kick out strategy seemed to be hoof a 50/50 ball to the same area each time and pray to win a breaking ball. Donal Ohare was the only man who looked like a proper county man when he eventually came on. A lot of players missing for various reasons but it should have been pencilled in as a must win game if promotion was a realistic target.

maldini

The ref blew a Laois man up for overcarrying after that as well when he was standing expecting a mark to be given. Anyone know why they weren't?

Mourne Rover

Jerome called a mark for a catch from a free kick which is not permitted. He also had a bad miss at the same end but produced a brilliant first half. If we have Darren O'Hagan, McKernan and Ryan Johnston back next week, with probably Mooney, McKibben and O'Hare coming in and maybe Harrison and McArdle available, we will hopefully get our season up and running.

snoopdog

As disapointing as it was 2nd half. Down need to unearth new talent. And tally is trying that. We may not get promoted but what would we learn playing the usual suspects?. I wasnt at the game but by sounds of it the defensive set up wasnt the usual Paddy Tally shut out but that takes time. We will know more in a month. Armagh on May 19th is a long way off.

Smurfy123

If you think that Down team is getting promoted you have another thing coming. Decent club footballers but some of them at the minute are not county standard and that's the bottom line. If we are beat next week we are in trouble with Westmeath coming to newry the week after. Hard to fathom the big turnaround in players to last year. To much I believe.