Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: NAG1 on November 03, 2015, 03:18:29 PM
Quote from: Sleeping giant on November 03, 2015, 03:04:43 PM
SHOCKING!!!!!
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on November 03, 2015, 03:04:36 PM
There seems to be a bit of shenanigans going on behind the scenes in relation to the appointment of our country manager. One particular individual is holding the whole process up as he doesn't agree with Ciaran Barr's nomination. It's all a bit sad really.

Quality of the proposed back room team that I would have more than an issue with, but that doesnt seem to matter much  ???
what issues do you have with the proposed back room team?
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

NAG1

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on November 04, 2015, 02:17:45 PM
SHOCKING!!!!!
There seems to be a bit of shenanigans going on behind the scenes in relation to the appointment of our country manager. One particular individual is holding the whole process up as he doesn't agree with Ciaran Barr's nomination. It's all a bit sad really.

Quality of the proposed back room team that I would have more than an issue with, but that doesnt seem to matter much  ???

Exactly that, the lack of quality. I look around every good back room team coaches and selectors and what I see is not only gifted coaches but people who know what it takes ex players at that level. People who not only know what it is to talk about it but when they are standing with a player from any of the other clubs involved in the squad that the players will have that instant respect.

The players can stand there and maybe even think to themselves what the hell is this guy asking from me but in the back of their mind they know the coach/ selector has been through it and has that understanding of what/how the player is feeling at that point.

We all know that not all ex players make good managers/ coaches but that is where you need a blend of both.

That is my opinion.

Sleeping giant

Quote from: NAG1 on November 04, 2015, 03:59:32 PM
SHOCKING!!!!!

Exactly that, the lack of quality. I look around every good back room team coaches and selectors and what I see is not only gifted coaches but people who know what it takes ex players at that level. People who not only know what it is to talk about it but when they are standing with a player from any of the other clubs involved in the squad that the players will have that instant respect.

The players can stand there and maybe even think to themselves what the hell is this guy asking from me but in the back of their mind they know the coach/ selector has been through it and has that understanding of what/how the player is feeling at that point.

We all know that not all ex players make good managers/ coaches but that is where you need a blend of both.

That is my opinion.
who would you like to be there then?   Now remember it has to be someone who is willing to put in a lot of time and possibly get very little thanks for it.  The men mentioned above have all committed to the cause. And all feel they could bring something to the table.  Surely a bit of a different approach and going down this route can't hurt.  Or will we go and throw a heep more  money at the free state coach and expect miracles?! 
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Sleeping giant

Kevin Ryan named Ulster manager for the up and coming inter provincial series.  Wonder who picks that?

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: hardstation on November 04, 2015, 07:50:38 PM
Quote from: Sleeping giant on November 04, 2015, 07:49:28 PM
Kevin Ryan named Ulster manager for the up and coming inter provincial series.  Wonder who picks that?
Neil McManus.
;D
;D

Two Hands FFS

Neil McManus.
;D
Nah hes been too busy lately

Sleeping giant

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on November 04, 2015, 08:19:31 PM
Neil McManus.
;D
Nah hes been too busy lately
;D

WTF u on about?

SHOCKING!!!!!

That is my opinion.

Sambo and woody? Highly respected ex players when they came in. Even humpy at Bcastle this year as another example. The game now is light years ahead of what it was when these former greats were playing. With pj you know what ur going to get. A well organised professional set up were everyone knows their role. Wouldn't that be a step forward from our current set up? Also the next management team would need to take the under 21 set up more seriously than previous years.

Sleeping giant

Quote from: WTF u on about? on November 04, 2015, 10:57:11 PM
SHOCKING!!!!!

That is my opinion.

Sambo and woody? Highly respected ex players when they came in. Even humpy at Bcastle this year as another example. The game now is light years ahead of what it was when these former greats were playing. With pj you know what ur going to get. A well organised professional set up were everyone knows their role. Wouldn't that be a step forward from our current set up? Also the next management team would need to take the under 21 set up more seriously than previous years.
listen if it makes sense.It won't happen!!! 

Na Glinntí Glasa

im willing to give PJ a chance at it but club management isnt the same as a county set up.

At Lgiel he had a world of talent all wanting to play for him, cash in the background from people willing to give it up due to their love of the club and players wanting to die for the jersey.

He wont have that at the county and thats where the difficulties lie for him.

hurl like f**k boi!

Seamroga in exile

So, the choice is give it to PJ, who knows the players,  or a mercenary that doesn't. Hasn't the latter been tried to death?

MoChara

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on November 05, 2015, 09:31:01 AM
So, the choice is give it to PJ, who knows the players,  or a mercenary that doesn't. Hasn't the latter been tried to death?

Is there anything to be said for saying another Mass?

Na Glinntí Glasa

We gave the job to two well know antrim men with a wealth of knowledge, bags of experience, pockets of championship medals, tonnes of training knowledge, knew the club scene inside out and it failed as well.

I'm just stating the obvious. People seem to think because he came from a good club team that all of a sudden it will all go just peachy.

Theres a blindingly obvious fact that people keep over looking - were not good enough and have some sort of delusions of grandeur about antrim hurling and where it deserves to be in the grand scheme of county hurling.Our club scene isnt as brilliant as what some think here, look at sneill and how they have closed the gap to the antrim champs in the last 3 seasons (Lgiel 13, Cdal 14, Cdall 15). Its either that or our standards have dropped. I think its a mixture of both.

Im open minded on this appointment (should it happen), and will see how it goes. I genuinely hope he can turn it around and get us going again
hurl like f**k boi!

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: MoChara on November 05, 2015, 12:11:49 PM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on November 05, 2015, 09:31:01 AM

Is there anything to be said for saying another Mass?

jesus i love a good mass Ted
hurl like f**k boi!

theskull1

I've always seen it as being very unfair when county teams don't go well for the Manager to become 'the reason' for it.

There's a massive amount of things that need to be done well year on year on year and commitment given by many in a joined up way before we should expect any consistent improvement in our competitiveness against the top teams.

Finance issues, administration issues, training infrastructure issues, dev squad issues, player ego issues, player quality issues, commitment to the jersey issues (I could go on) are all real problems that play a massive part
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera